Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Colour Coding

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 09:25 AM
Ethereal
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colour Coding

Asking all those who have colour coded the S or Aero Kit bumpers, arches, skirts how much they payed for it. I was just wondering how much it has costed all of you to colour code the kit. Just wanna get an idea. I don't have a MINI yet so i can't go get an estimate... Any input appreciated.

Old 09-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Aquasar
6th Gear
Hello there, I have an 04 MC with Aero kit. The dealer put it on I paid $1200 for the kit and $1300 for paint and labor...

Old 09-03-2004, 12:13 PM
Ethereal
2nd Gear
Ouch, that's steep. I assume the aerokit came unpainted and required all of it to be painted. I'm referring to the plastic that's left unpainted...

Old 09-03-2004, 05:24 PM
Ethereal
2nd Gear
BUMP, i guess this topic isn't very popular....

Old 09-03-2004, 05:37 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd love to color-code my Cooper trim, and I know some folks here have done it, but not all that many. Seems like UK MINIs shops are way ahead on things like this. Coopers, Ones...all kinda of MINIs getting painted up! Prices are in pounds, but why bother with currency conversion when the shop is across the sea. I have one local shop that could do it, but they haven't done any MINIs and my concern is that the prep work....smoothing our the texture....would make the whole project cost prohibitive. Never got a quote though.

Old 09-04-2004, 04:07 AM
termite
1st Gear
many $$$ to do it right

i just fit the aero kit front bumper to my MCS and painted the remaining black trim body color to match [dark silver]. the problem, aside from removing all of the trim on the car, is that the trim is textured. there are three ways to resolve this: 1) paint right over the textured surface; advantage is that it will be the cheapest option. in my opinion, that is the least desireable because it will look like *** and be very difficult to keep clean. 2) build up a high fill primer, sand and paint; advantage is it is the most common way to get rid of the texture and it gives passable results. downside is that you are building up material on a surface that is inherently flexible and regardless of how much flex additive that you put in the primer and paint, you will have adhesion problems in the long run; maybe not for a year or two, but it will happen and then you will have a mess. finally 3) sand off all of the texture by hand through progressive grits, then prime and paint. advantage is that it will look the best of the three options, as close to the sheet metal on the car as possible, and it should last as long as the rest of the car's finish if the prep is careful. the downside is that it is by far the most expensive option as it is the most time consuming....unfortunately, the old addage of you get what you pay for, is completely true HTH