Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Does anyone know what kit this is?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 11:35 PM
motormad
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
urp...gag...retch..., Gosh those kits really do something for me.

Old 09-06-2004, 01:03 AM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FinalPhaze
the kit is still in developement... thanks for the honesty... no hard feelings... the truth helps a lot... but like i said.. the kit is still in developement.... if it works then it works but if it dont then i guess i got myself a one off kit.... maybe when the car is done completely then it may change the eyes perspective but as for right now it still in the works...
Now...I may be slow to catch on here, but is that the kit you were in the process of creating there FinalPhaze??? After the statement above, sounds like it's your kit, maybe even your car?
Love what you did with your '61 Mini there. That thing looks wicked. And if you designed that kit for that car, (memory is blank to whether or not you stated if you did or not), than you hit it on the nail. Kudos to ya! It flows together sooo nicely. But with this kit for the new MINI, well........there's just some flowing issues there. Just a little too boxy. Nothing against ya. Just my $0.02. And everyone has their own tastes, so don't take anything negative said here too seriously......if this happens to be your kit. Like anything, there'll be people that like it, and others that don't.
IMO, with the new MINI, it looks soo good just in stock form, that one doesn't really need a whole lot to accent it additionally. Take a Civic or a Focus for example. Bone stock, those things just cry out to be modded, especially with the exterior. It's just too plain. But the new MINI has a lot of styling cues that are pretty great just as is. Not much needs to be done, IMO. Subtle kits like the factory aero kit, or the Hamann kit are great examples of that. I still like the Zeemax kit. I'm borderline with the Orciari kit. There's other that are just too damn wild, like the Animal kit. One of the more lesser reasons I bought my MCS, was due to the cool styling cues that it has in stock form. Something that I wouldn't have to mod the **** outta right away just to have it look half decent. I'm happy with no body kit, but I would take a Hamann, an Aero, or ZeeMax kit if they were cheaper or free.
Again....just my opinions.
Cheers,

Old 09-06-2004, 05:29 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by minihune
tina02miniS,

Where does the backup light (not legal to get rid of it) go on that rear bumper?
It's still in the same spot as it always was, right under the bumper insert location, aboce the new modified area. It's sorta hard to see cause the color blends with the clear lense

also runing around in primer is a sure tip off to a guy that has a car full of carp and no money to finish it.
A car full of carp would be awesome ....it could also mean that he is still working on the custom body kit he is making...oh wait he is

urp...gag...retch..., Gosh those kits really do something for me.
What a surprise, NAM members having trouble with other people trying to be different

Old 09-06-2004, 05:38 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MINIclo
:smile: Hi, Tina! Welcome to NAM! Yes...I think a lot of us will see this kit as ricey. But we await his final design, before making an absolute comment! LOL!

Clo/Wanda
Sorry about posting twice in a row, but i wanted to pose this question separately...what makes it any more ricey then the aero kit? I was just wondering...my concept of rice body kits is those kits that look like huge gigantic aliens and stuff...I feel like this kit is much more subtle ...what about it is ricey?

I really thought ricey meant something like this with the unnecessary sidevent and huge protruding front bumper (and this is a subtle version, i have seen far worse):

Old 09-06-2004, 09:00 AM
2perCooper
5th Gear
my understanding of what a ricey body kit is that it disrupts the lines of the car. i mean, that the flow of the whole car is thrown off on a tangent by the front bumper that has fins that are sticking out way too much. also, the way i look at the car, i dont want all these edges that are within the lines. just straight lines.

I mean, which looks cleaner?

my car with the aero kit?

or this car with the animal kit?

in my eyes, the aero kit is clean. thats how i see how a body kit should be, clean and simple. the animal kit imo is just overdone and too 'big"

Old 09-06-2004, 09:41 AM
Ethereal
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 2perCooper
my understanding of what a ricey body kit is that it disrupts the lines of the car.
Right on target. And this kit just doesn't flow with the curves of the cooper. He has squares and straight lines as where the cooper is more rounded and has curves. Back bumper is just missing something and the side skirts don't flow AT ALL (imo), the front bumper is nice, he just has to take some of the edginess and straight lines out, try and make it a bit more round to flow better with the round headlights on the mini....just my $0.02

Old 09-06-2004, 09:55 AM
KiLO
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tina02miniS
i was at the mall and came across this cooper s in the parking lot. it had this body kit on it that looks really good. it was still in primer but still looks great.i had no choice but to take pictures of it with my camera phone. if anyone knows what this kit is called and where i can get it let me know.
A pretty innovative Bondo job I'd say. But like Rally said, it may not be done yet, so we'll see, it could turn out to be something cool!

Old 09-06-2004, 12:38 PM
section8
2nd Gear
G-Damn that "Animal Kit" looks like something straight out of "HR Puff N' Stuff"

Like most things, your first reaction is usually the correct one. If you don't like what you see, or vise versa. Don't try to convince yourself or others otherwise.

Old 09-06-2004, 01:06 PM
motormad
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
What a surprise, NAM members having trouble with other people trying to be different
I am a NAM member, but I was experessing my personal reaction, not speaking for other NAM members. :smile:

I have no problem with people trying to be different, but that doesn't keep me from expressing how I feel about their design. If someone wants to look different, they should expect to get ALL sorts of reactions, not all positive. It may have been more PC to call that kit "interesting" but my earlier post more accurately captured my reaction to the kit.

For all those who might like this kit, then great, buy and install it. Be confident enough in your personal taste to be able to take some negative reactions from other MINI owners.

Old 09-06-2004, 02:45 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
2per- i agree completely...the animal doesnt use any existing lines to correspond to their new design. And i also agree that the aero kit does that very well...obviously since it was designed by the designers of the car . I was just wondering about calling the other one ricey...it doesnt use the obvious lines of the cooper, but from the looks of things, the lines seem to be incorporated into some of the more subtle lines on the mini...there are straight lines on the cooper, and i think this designer was trying to play upon the straight lines to make them stronger, and in many people's opinion more aggressive. I personally dont like the straight lines on my cooper...and have decided to stick to more gracious curves. But i ended up going with the Cooper S bumper because even the aero kit has straight lines that are out of place. Look at the lines dividing the lower grill from the fog light indents...its a very sharp line, and it tends to stick out in the light...the same goes for the sideskirts, the vents are very sharp as is the bottom line. Not as clean as could be if you dont like straight lines. I'm not trying to judge any of the kits...both the aero kit and the unnamed one are nice kits...i was just trying to understand the term "ricey"

Technically under the original definition of rice...even the aero kit is rice though . The original definition of rice was installing parts that only improve aesthetics and not performance. And dispite the name, i dont think the aero kit provides greater downforce, not to mention the "grills" on the back are just stickers . So if you take "rice" for its basic definition all bodykits besides Hamann and M7 are rice on the MINI But i dont think that is how people are using the word now.

With all that said, im gonna stick to making small exterior modifications that look OEM...but still hint at style Cheers

Old 09-13-2004, 11:39 AM
nocivic
2nd Gear
I'm not feeling that kit at all, unlike the ORCIARI kit that flows so much better with the MINI. Sorry just my .02

Old 09-13-2004, 01:01 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
I've taken a few classes in car design (majoring in art currently), and even the orciari has a few flaws in its design that defy the lines on the mini

Old 09-14-2004, 07:08 AM
nocivic
2nd Gear
[size=2]I will agree that the Orciari kit could follow the lines of the finder flairs a little better, but overall it's a good fit for the MINI, smooth rounded edges with a little aggression thrown in. In my eyes it's more EURO that RICER, but to each there own. You cant kick anyone for wanting to be being different!!!!

[/size]

Old 09-16-2004, 06:57 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Again, not to start anything,just sharing my views. But this one is far more euro...i actually think he took a lot of styling cues from different BMWs...the rear diffuser-like thing and some of the front moulding resemble an older BMW. The orciari on the other hand is obviously just trying to be a subaru look-alike. So its much more aggresive and "import-car" like.

I will never kick anyone for wanting to be different, im all for it. Just trying to open some of the peoples' eyes who scream rice at every bodykit they see...

Old 09-16-2004, 08:40 AM
nocivic
2nd Gear
[size=2]The kit that is on the first post is defiantly more import in appearance!!!! the front clip looks like a knock off of a Nissan Skyline, and the side skirts look like a black widow kit, the back looks like a buddy club kit that's found on many a civic. when I look at the Orciari kit I don't see the resemblance of a Subaru.

[/size]

Old 09-16-2004, 08:44 AM
mini giant
4th Gear
poor mini

Old 09-16-2004, 08:54 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
I guess it sorta looks like a skyline...but its missing a few of the rectangular shapes....these are the BMWs i was talking about...there are lots of the E36s that run around looking like this. See what i mean? Hes got the same shape and design as these...which are of course Euro cars.

The side skirts are sorta plain...dont really remind me of anything...they could go either way. And in terms of the rear looking like buddy club, that is only because the look started in the euro scene...Its supposed to resemble the rear diffuser often found on DTM racers (BMWs Audis etc)...which later moved on into the japanese import scene, but its still big with the euros too...

Old 09-16-2004, 06:05 PM
twoturbos1mission
1st Gear
I'm sitting here on the couch. I showed the pictures to my fiancee, and said "Honey, would you like to do that with your car?"

"No, gross, that looks like *****."

So there you have it.

Old 09-17-2004, 03:18 AM
d6-mcs
4th Gear
for starters why would you put that on your mini. go buy a HONDA.if you want to do that. LOOKS LIKE CRAP!!!

chris