Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior just a normal mini cooper..not S

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 05:35 PM
andrewb
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just a normal mini cooper..not S

dad just gave me a 2002 mini cooper for college (gonna be freshman at ucr this fall) which i have been using ever since we got it back then... this is the model in which the hatch to pop the HOOD is on the passengers side...

since its not even an S, you guys tell me... do you think its even worth putting nice wheels/ other mods on... if so im thinking of just putting some nice wheels onto it...you know, giving it the "S" look, as well as upgrading the audio system... as well as some mods for the interior for a more comfortable feel... ANY SUGGESTIONS OR LINKS to any places where i can find good stuff/accessories... i really need some help w/ the audio part as well... i dont think it has the h/k option, and am not sure if should just add an amp/new deck to the system i already have or to change all the speakers..get a new amp/deck...i just need a clearer/better luxury (like the a bose system) sounding system...i am into hip-hop/rap/r and b... keep in mind im still in college but will be making 700 dollars a week next summer... just trying to plan ahead

by the way...i dont think i need a subwoofer due to the fact that my brothers lexus es300 has only one 10" inifity sub and is too freakin loud/ gives me a headache all the time

so any opinions/comments PLEASE...otherwise im thinking of just fixing up a few of the other cars in my familys garage... range rover/ audi 2.7t

oh yeah, forgot to mention, im a real handyman around the house, but not when it comes to cars so please no links to DO-it-YOURSELF stuff...
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS

Old 09-13-2004, 07:01 PM
J-Didi
3rd Gear
Hi and welcome.

If you are going to do the wheels thing, go LIGHTWEIGHT for MC. Some lightweight 15's with nice tires handle great and give better acceleration and stopping.
Good Luck

Old 09-13-2004, 08:49 PM
Wraith1416
4th Gear
i agree with j-didi some light weight 15's will really improve the car in general. if you want the S look tho, 17-inch S-lites usually look really good on Coopers. pair that with an S Chrom Gas Cap and say clear side markers and you'll have a very attractive looking MINI

Old 09-13-2004, 09:56 PM
andrewb
Neutral
thanks for the help guys, but im kinda into the big wheel look... would you guys have anything against konig 18' imagines/theory/maxxim e-racer? ... is the mc a lot higher than the mc S?... because big wheels along with high suspension would look stupid

http://tiredex.com/konig/app_guide_r...oper&B1=Submit

Old 09-13-2004, 11:07 PM
J-Didi
3rd Gear
Just be sure and check out weights and fitments first. With the right combo, could look sic!

http://www.wheelweights.net

Check out earlier threads on Nam - "show us your wheels."

There is also a thread for OEM wheel and tire weights.

Oh, and I think the specs on ground clearence are about the same or at least pretty close.

Old 09-13-2004, 11:12 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewb
thanks for the help guys, but im kinda into the big wheel look... would you guys have anything against konig 18' imagines/theory/maxxim e-racer? ... is the mc a lot higher than the mc S?... because big wheels along with high suspension would look stupid

http://tiredex.com/konig/app_guide_r...oper&B1=Submit
Andrewb,
Aloha and welcome to NAM. 2002 MC of college? Cool.
Now you have to ask yourself if you want to "Look good" or Go.
Based on your preference for big wheels I'd say-
First - go for the big wheels. They will be heavy and expensive but what the heck, you're not going to the track, just cruising around campus. Tire size is usually 215/35-18 with the 18x7.5" rim with 4x100 bolt pattern and +45mm offset.
Second- At some point, there are a few things that can be done for a bit of power which you'll need with the heavy wheels. No need to rush out and get them but for not too much you can add a drop in air filter or install a cold air intake like the BMP/Pro Mini intake for the MC. Then also consider someday an Rspeed.net MC exhaust, Rogue exhaust or maybe even a Helix13 MC exhaust for about $500-560. You get a serious growl and a few HP. At least you will sound fast.
For audio it can get really expensive if you redo everything. Live with the stock stereo for now and save up for a clean and powerful 4 channel amp and two good component front speakers (6.5" with custom spacers for the doors) and moderate two way 6x9 fill in speakers for the rear. Keep the stock radio CD player. You don't have HK because they didn't have that option until spring of 03.

On the wheels-(an example weight from Konig)
Theory Opal 18x7.5 Opal Machined Lip 20.26 lbs
Flik wheels at edgeracing are about 19 pounds for 17x7 and 22 pounds for 18x7.5"

The better (smarter option and maybe for the same price) option is to lower the MC using alta or eibach springs, add a 19mm rear sway bar and go with
16x7 rims and 215/45-16 tires. See edgeracing.com or tirerack.com
I have seen some MINIs with lowered suspension and 16" wheels that look like 17" wheels. 15"wheels are light (10-12 pounds) but look smaller- no fooling anyone.

Old 09-14-2004, 12:19 AM
movieman
4th Gear
Don't forget the MTH software upgrade. Some are saying almost 18hp!!!!!

Old 09-14-2004, 04:05 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
... this is the model in which the hatch to pop the HOOD is on the passengers side...
Welcome to NAM andrewb. MC or MCS it doesn’t matter you will in no time want to personalize it. Whether it’s wheels, stripes, roof decal or motor mods. You’ll get good advice and great ideas from the people here.

BTW if I’m not mistaken ALL MINIs MC’s or MCS’s have the bonnet release on the passenger side.

Old 09-14-2004, 04:57 PM
andrewb
Neutral
more info/links/where to go for this MTH upgrade!... the rear sway bar/springs seems a bit confusing to me... im still thinking of 18's... but would you guys say it would make the ride worse?...i also need them to be reliable...since i will constantly be driving from home to school... SAN FRANCISCO.... to SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA...

im thinking of buying the "PROMINI© Performance Intake Kit for Mini Cooper" now, but dont know what the differences between that and the "RSpeed B-Spec Mini Performance Intake - Cooper - 5spd and CVT models" at rspeed.net... the rspeed mpi is cheaper/says it will make a nice intake sound? or will they both sound nice...thanks

Old 09-14-2004, 05:44 PM
asarfati
1st Gear
shouldn't you be spending dad's hard earned money on beer and books. some people like to mod their minis, some leave them stock. The choice is yours dude. Just please don't turn it into some ricer mobile. Remember that driving the mini is the most fun one can have with their clothes on.

Old 09-14-2004, 08:39 PM
Wraith1416
4th Gear
or with the seat up

Old 09-14-2004, 09:49 PM
movieman
4th Gear
more info/links/where to go for this MTH upgrade!...
Look at thisthread here on NAM. Some cooper owners are saying it feels like about 15hp or even more.

im still thinking of 18's... but would you guys say it would make the ride worse?...i also need them to be reliable...since i will constantly be driving from home to school... SAN FRANCISCO.... to SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA...
I'd be very careful with that kind of a drive. you'll have very little amount of rubber on your sidewalls. I've got 16's and probably wouldn't go much bigger.

im thinking of buying the "PROMINI© Performance Intake Kit for Mini Cooper" now, but dont know what the differences between that and the "RSpeed B-Spec Mini Performance Intake - Cooper - 5spd and CVT models" at rspeed.net... the rspeed mpi is cheaper/says it will make a nice intake sound? or will they both sound nice...thanks
I have the r-speed intake, and it sounds very nice. I haven't heard the promini yet, but for under $100 shipped, I would get the r-speed.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:25 PM
andrewb
Neutral
maybe i should just leave everthing stock and just upgrade the audio system... THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP THOUGH, VERY USEFUL... ill be at the audio FORUMS!

Old 09-15-2004, 06:06 AM
doomsdaybob
4th Gear
You can check out some comparison numbers on Randy Webbs Site. He pretty much breaks down the $/horse ratio for you and comments on ride and sound differences for different intakes and other mods.

http://www.webbmotorsports.com/

Old 09-26-2004, 11:11 PM
rioman
2nd Gear
Go Big!

I am thinking about going bigger 18"......19" as well. I've been obsessed about it. Here are some good sites. Here couple of fotos of 19" 18" 17" First fotos (19") is not my foto. I am not a big fan of the Koning wheels. I see to many coopers with them on it. Try to be as individual as possible. TSW is a british wheel company. Go with the wheel & tire combo. You save a lot! Keep the grades up so pops does not take the Cooper away!

http://onlinetires.com/main.html

http://www.1010tires.com

http://www.wheelmax.com