Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior A Door Rattle Fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 09:28 AM
efcmini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Door Rattle Fix

Like quite a few of you I've been bothered by door rattles and buzzes for a long, long time now. I've removed the door panel so many times, that I can do it with my eyes closed. I've taped, glued, etc, etc all to no avail...until yesterday.

I had the door panel off again and this time instead of working on it, I decided to feel around inside the door itself for loose "bits". I found a metal support arm (not sure what it really does) that runs vertically from the bottom of the door up towards near the outside door handle. It felt a bit wobbily so I tracked to where it was attached. It is attached at the bottom with a hex nut. The nut is accessible at the bottom of the door. For some reason I have never looked all the way under the door at the bottom. You don't have to remove the panels for this, just bend down and look at the bottom of the door. There you will find two nuts (one at the front of the door, one at the rear). Mine were both loose. I tightened them and did the usual test drive. Rattles and buzzes gone.

Hope this helps somebody else.

Ken

Old 09-29-2004, 09:35 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
My MCS is pretty much rattle free, but this sounds like something I’ll look at today when I get home. Thanks for the info and fix. :smile:

Old 10-02-2004, 05:42 AM
BillyB
3rd Gear
I started looking for threads on rattles and buzz problems today, and your idea sounds like a good place for me to start, as my passenger side door has been buzzing a bit, on and off, depending on road conditions.

Actually, I've been pretty lucky so far, but I have one or two (or three?) buzz problems that are enough to make me want to do something about them. I think that if someone could find all the different solutions for different rattle and buzz problems on a MINI, and publish them, I'm **** enough that I'd buy it right away, if only just to have for future reference.

I also have an issue with the joint between my left front airbag and the dash, where I get the most buzz, almost constantly, though probably only enough to bother a guy like me. I was thinking I'd just shove a nicely cut piece of weather stripping (or some such material) in the groove of that joint. Anyone heard of this buzz before, and how to quiet it?

Heck, there ought to be an entire thread dedicated to this subject. I could care less about modding, I just want quiet!

Old 11-30-2004, 08:02 AM
PixelPusher
1st Gear
Door & Boot Rattles

Originally Posted by BillyB
...as my passenger side door has been buzzing a bit, on and off, depending on road conditions....I have one or two (or three?) buzz problems that are enough to make me want to do something about them. I think that if someone could find all the different solutions for different rattle and buzz problems on a MINI, and publish them, I'm **** enough that I'd buy it right away, if only just to have for future reference....Heck, there ought to be an entire thread dedicated to this subject. I could care less about modding, I just want quiet!

My Mini is in service right now for just these reasons (& these reasons only!!!)

I determined the "dragonfly in my door " sounds to be loose interior door panels, not the reflector. (Pressed on the panels & it stopped.) The "buzz" from the windows to be coming from where the window rests on the rubber frame at the top. (Pressed on the glass & it stopped. I use a matchbook cover to maintain silence.) The creak from the boot to be from the latch being too small (added tape & it stopped).

Hopefully, the service dept. will deal with these issues (they mentioned I'm not the first to complain) by replacing all latches to the black ones and tightening all torx bolts, etc. You are SO right though. A forum dedicated to this and this alone would beat ALL mod forums (Except the brakelight mod. That's just TOO simple & worthwhile!!!)

Peter

Old 11-30-2004, 08:41 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, Ken. I will take a look tonight.... my passenger door sounds like
it has small bits of glass or something buzzing inside. It stops when I push or pull the map holder area. I did a bandaid fix with a little support that bridges between the door panel and the map holder cup. It stopped it,
but comes and goes still.

Originally Posted by efcmini
Like quite a few of you I've been bothered by door rattles and buzzes for a long, long time now. I've removed the door panel so many times, that I can do it with my eyes closed. I've taped, glued, etc, etc all to no avail...until yesterday.

I had the door panel off again and this time instead of working on it, I decided to feel around inside the door itself for loose "bits". I found a metal support arm (not sure what it really does) that runs vertically from the bottom of the door up towards near the outside door handle. It felt a bit wobbily so I tracked to where it was attached. It is attached at the bottom with a hex nut. The nut is accessible at the bottom of the door. For some reason I have never looked all the way under the door at the bottom. You don't have to remove the panels for this, just bend down and look at the bottom of the door. There you will find two nuts (one at the front of the door, one at the rear). Mine were both loose. I tightened them and did the usual test drive. Rattles and buzzes gone.

Hope this helps somebody else.

Ken

Old 11-30-2004, 11:42 AM
efcmini
4th Gear
I started this thread two months ago. I only came back to it after receiving an email that there was a response or two (nice feature that). I am sad to report that my "fix" only worked for about 2 weeks for me, I'm buzz and rattle mad again. Still I hope it helped some.

Ken

Old 12-03-2004, 03:01 PM
BillyB
3rd Gear
It's nice to hear that this thread is still going. I'm sorry to hear that we're all still having problems. So far, my dealership has been of limited assistance with these sorts of problems, even though they are the most nerve wracking problems I have with my MINI. My rigged fixes are not holding up, so I'll have to try my dealership again. My most annoying problem has been a glove box that wants to rattle whenever the road surface is less than perfect. I'm still playing with that one, and I'll need to keep shopping around for the right supplies to get the job done, assuming my dealership fails me, again. LOL

Some bigger, softer riding tires might help, but that's a fix I can't afford, so in the meantime I keep playing with silicone lube spray, and sound dampening this, that, and the other. All to little avail, or so it seems so far. But, hey, nothing to get down about, eh? Life goes on, right? *sigh*

Old 12-03-2004, 03:36 PM
jinubob81
4th Gear
well... here is some "official info" for you.

well, not really, but it might help some of you.

Do your windows rattle, buzz, streak, squeak, blah, explode?
Try having your dealer perform:
SI M 51 04 03 "put in window buffers"

Do your doors rattle, buzz, melt, dance, run with scissors?
try having your dealer perform:
SI M 51 04 03 "install door buffers" (note this is same as window buffer...)

Also, there was a clamp they used with was FP# 51-33-7-132-223 "clamp"

I also occasionally lose all sanity and start bashing the little bastids til they submit, or my hands break.

good luck all!

Old 12-03-2004, 03:47 PM
Monike
Neutral
Creak, rattle and expandable foam

My car has had a rattle in the B pillar from the day I picked it up. So far have made two trips to the dealer for repair (400 mile R/T) and they found broken clips on the pillar cover (maybe from an overzealous/frustrated consumer trying to find the creak?). Still no better seven months and 5500 miles into the MINI adventure. Called ASK-MINI to see if they had a service bulletin and they assured me that the dealer would have it if there was one and they offered to contact the dealer for me. Now four months later I'm tired of waiting for a response - so when the recall visit is made, on the top of the list will be the same as my last two visits, fix my noise! In case you didn't notice a large percent of my miles is to the dealer and back. If I didn't have so much fun dashing around town terrorizing Neons and Hondas I'd probably dispose of the car. But the fun is just starting so I'll keep trying to get this fixed and do as others have done - turn up my stereo to drown out the CREAK.

Old 12-13-2004, 03:25 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
what years are your cars

Mine was rattle free. It is an 02 that I bought with 11K on it in June. Since I added H sports and Konis the rattles have developed. On smooth surface it's fine but when i hit bumpt pavement it rattles, buzzes etc. I wonder how much is the Springs themselves because the rubber gromets I think have been removed. Bilsteins go in tomorrow,.....we'll see if that helps.

Any Ideas?