Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Alta Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004 | 01:33 PM
MINI Monkey
|
5th Gear
Alta Short Shifter

I am trying to decide between getting the Alta shifter now or waiting for the B&M for my '04 MCS. I heard they are both great but I am hesistant about the adjustability of the Alta shifter. How do you lock in the height? Is the set screw(s) all that is holding it in place? Are there indentations or some other way to lock it into place? I was concerned that it might slip and move down. Also, how far down can you set the Alta before you need to leave off the cover? I live in an area with lots of standing water when it rains and retaining the cover seems important to me. Either way I am going with a custom Whalen ****. Any feedback is appreciated. :smile:

Old 10-11-2004 | 01:36 PM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
Originally Posted by MINI Monkey
I am trying to decide between getting the Alta shifter now or waiting for the B&M for my '04 MCS. I heard they are both great but I am hesistant about the adjustability of the Alta shifter. How do you lock in the height? Is the set screw(s) all that is holding it in place? Are there indentations or some other way to lock it into place? I was concerned that it might slip and move down. Also, how far down can you set the Alta before you need to leave off the cover? I live in an area with lots of standing water when it rains and retaining the cover seems important to me. Either way I am going with a custom Whalen ****. Any feedback is appreciated. :smile:

I have the B&M and it works flawlessly. I drove another car with another short shifter...not sure which one but it wasn't B&M and it was worse than the stock shifter.

Old 10-11-2004 | 03:55 PM
MINI Monkey
|
5th Gear
Worse than stock!!! I would love to know which one that was. I had a B&M on a focus and loved it, so I know how much a good shifter can help. I just don't want to rush get the Alta and regret it. Thanks

Old 10-11-2004 | 04:02 PM
JCampos
6th Gear
The Alta is absolutely amazing. I have sat in cars with the B&M and madness shifters and I cant imagine how those could compare to the Alta. The Alta is very sturdy, and has 4 screws holding it in place once you set it. It wont slip, theres no possible way. I believe that once you go above a 30% reduction you need to leave the cover off, which really isnt that big of a deal as it is still under the heat shielding from the exhaust. Without the cover though expect a bit of heat to come up through the open area from the exhaust. In my opinion the Alta tops the others because it doesnt just add a link, which seems flimsy, but it replaces the entire shaft. Shifts are MUCH more positive than before and you can always tell what gear you are in.

I have quite a few mods done to the car, and this is my second favorite mod... second to the pulley of course.

Old 10-11-2004 | 04:16 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
i LOVE my pilo SS kit, feels like such a race car now with that snick snick feel.... shorter throw and even somewhat feels that the gates are more defined is incredible..

pilo also comes with the metal bushings

Old 10-11-2004 | 04:28 PM
MINI Monkey
|
5th Gear
Thanks for the reveiw of the Alta. I was worried about the set screws. I guess I don't need to. What setting did you install your Alta.

Old 10-11-2004 | 04:31 PM
MINI Monkey
|
5th Gear
I haven't heard when the Pilo shifter will be available for the "04 MCS.

Old 10-11-2004 | 05:11 PM
onasled
Banned
I also use the Alta and will highly recommend it. I left my cover off and have seen no problems, and don't notice any heat difference either.

The set screws are flawless and you would think that the shifter was welded into place. The adjustability is a great addition. The feel is just a huge improvement over stock. It's worth every penny I spent on it.

I set the Alta pretty low. Somewhere near the last line. I might go a bit lower once my arm gets stronger ...

Old 10-11-2004 | 06:14 PM
MINI Monkey
|
5th Gear
Is that what the Alta **** looks like? All the photos I've seen look a little different. If that's the one, it's really nice. :smile: Thanks for the great photo--nice to see it in action.

Old 10-11-2004 | 11:55 PM
JCampos
6th Gear
I have mine as low as it goes without removing the dust cover. I was thinking about getting down there tho and removing it. It really is a great shifter and as stated earlier, worth every penny over what you would pay for other kits. That is exactly what my **** looks like as well and I was pleasantly suprised when I got it because I hadnt really seen what the **** looked like because of all the crappy photos of it out there.

Old 10-12-2004 | 01:30 AM
MINI Monkey
|
5th Gear
Where did you buy it. The online stores I've seen have a different ****. Thanks, Again

Old 10-12-2004 | 02:19 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
does it still sit lower than the stock one...I really don't like that...I like the length it is now...it is in perfect line from my arm rest that I can shift with out having to lift my arm or reach for the shifter....does anyone make one that won't shorten the top of the shaft and only make the bottom longer?

Old 10-12-2004 | 05:38 AM
onasled
Banned
I got my Alta at JSC Speed. Good prices there for Alta products.

I know what you mean about the ***** as I was pleasantly surprised with mine. Just send them my photo and make sure it's the same one if you want.

Yes, the shifter is lower but in no way do I really notice that it is as far as a comfort level goes. I'm not familiar with the Helix , but I believe that this does not alter the height of the stock shifter. I can't imagine though that it has the feel of the Alta at all.

This happens to be one of the more pleasing modifications that I have done to my MCS, and I've done quite a few.

Old 10-12-2004 | 04:30 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
So how hard is it to install these puppies? I hate the thought of removing the exhaust but I might buy a Borla and do it all at once.

Old 10-12-2004 | 05:29 PM
onasled
Banned
It's really very easy. Once the pipe and heat sheild have been removed, the shift install may take about 20 minutes. Now that I have done one, I could most likely do it in about 10.

Old 10-12-2004 | 06:30 PM
MINI Monkey
|
5th Gear
I called JSC Speed and the guy was great. He said they had the other **** that is black with Alta MINI written in white. When I told him I was looking for the one you guys have he said he would make some calls. In less than fifteen minutes he called back and said he could have the kit with the **** I wanted shipped out to me. Great customer service! I'm really looking forward to the install. I love working on my car.:smile: I will still be getting a whalen ****, as soon a I figure out what to have custom engraved on the top. They are such works of art I definitely want something special on it. Thanks for all the help and especially the photo (learning they had that **** pushed me into it). This will be my first performance mod. The only other thing I have done on my MINI is driving lights. Now that was an fun install, except drilling holes in a three day old car. That part was stressful.

Old 10-12-2004 | 06:47 PM
onasled
Banned
MINI Monkey,

Yes, they are excellent at JSC Speed. I made a large order with them a short time ago and they threw in the shipping without me asking. It was a big order though.
So, hmmmmmmm .... got enough money to spend on a catback exhaust? Since your dropping the exhaust anyway. ...... .
Being that the shifter is the 1st performance mod, you have A LOT of fun ahead of you.

Let us know how this install goes. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Have FUN!

Old 10-13-2004 | 06:27 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by onasled
It's really very easy. Once the pipe and heat sheild have been removed, the shift install may take about 20 minutes. Now that I have done one, I could most likely do it in about 10.
Easy huh. Installation is what has been keeping me from even considering it...and I really dislike the MINI's super-long shifter. Perhaps my next time in CT I'll swing by your place and see if you're really telling the truth!

Old 10-13-2004 | 06:34 AM
onasled
Banned
Josh,
Have Randy bring one out to the Pulley Party and we'll install it there.
As I say, the hardest part is removing the catback system, otherwise ...
I'd be happy to do it with you anytime!:smile:

Old 10-13-2004 | 06:52 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
Does the fact that I have a JCW exhaust make it any easier/harder?

I'm sure this is something that would be much easer & quick at a place with a lift then in my driveway with ramps and stands.

Regardless I will have to wait till at least the spring. I have to save up for 05 JCW upgrade and tires first.

I like to do things myself but usually run into trouble so I get a little scared of the more complex jobs. I had only a little trouble putting the short shifter in my focus, but that is obviously much easier of a process. Someone with experience to help would go a long way, so maybe I'll take you up on the offer sometime next year.

Old 10-13-2004 | 05:11 PM
MINI Monkey
|
5th Gear
I did a shifter install on my focus too & it wasn't bad. The mini is about the same, only the cable work is under the car. I wish I could do the exhaust at the same time but can't right now. I'm just getting started though. I've got a huge list of mods to do. Next is an Alta Intake, then, Milltek Exhaust, then pulley, then springs, then chip, then, then, then... you guys know all about this disease. My wife says there is no cure, but at least we have a support group. She's great about my car obsession, though. She even helps with the installs. Small hands sometimes come in handy. Most of my friends can't figure out why a new car even needs parts. Thanks again for all your help. I'll let you know how the install goes. :smile:

Old 10-13-2004 | 10:42 PM
MINI Monkey
|
5th Gear
Josh, Nice web site. Your MINI is great. I really like the jet black W/ white wheels and roof. I wanted to thank you for the HK door rattle fix. I'm going to do mine this week end. My car has been suffering that problem since I got it home. A freind gave me a roll of Dyno Mat so I will use it like you used the felt. Thanks, Shawn

Old 10-14-2004 | 01:31 PM
jwardell
6th Gear
Felt and dynamat are not really for the same purpose, although I guess it might fix the problem as long as it's not too thick. I will be adding dynamat to the panels soon to improve things further, but it goes in the middle of a flat area usually, not on edges.

Old 10-14-2004 | 02:37 PM
Pebblecrusher
4th Gear
I have the Helix short shift and really like it. It doesn't change the height of the stock shifter and I can realyl tell a difference. Only part that bugs me is the removal of the cover under the car.

Old 10-14-2004 | 06:31 PM
MINI Monkey
|
5th Gear
Josh, do you think Dyno Mat won't work like the felt? I would be putting it on the door around the speakers. The cover would touch the mat not the speakers edge, hopefully ending the rattle. I've used it a lot & know it's mainly for sound dampening but I was thinking it would also put a nice layer between the speaker and the cover as well as improve the sound a little. Let me know what you think. Thanks, Shawn

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Alta Short Shifter