Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior '02-'04 tail lights on an '05?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 08:50 AM
djafactor
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02-'04 tail lights on an '05?

I'll be picking up my '05 MCS in March. However, I do not like the new tail light design on the '05s (mainly because they moved the reverse light to the main light cluster instead of the bumper). I'd like to swap them out for the '02-'04 lights and rewire the reverse light to the original location. Does anyone know if this can be done, or better yet, anyone done this? If it works I'm going to buy a used set of '02-'04 lights from a fellow MINIer. In my mind, that black plastic plate on the old reverse light location really sticks out like a sore thumb. Looks like an afterthought, why ruin a good thing in the first place? i don't want to spec the rear fog light option either, much prefer the clear reverse light asthetically.

cheers,

Amit

Old 10-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There is a kit available from MINI that adapts the newer taillights onto the 02-04 cars, this kit is basically an add-on wiring harness that reconfigures the wiring to swap the connection positions of the reverse lights and fog lights. Apparently the new lamp housings can fit the old cars, so the opposite must be true as well. Someone who has a working knowledge of car electrical systems should have no problem reconfiguring the wiring, and not even needing any sort of additional parts. What needs to be done is a wire taken from either side taillight location to the center lamp location to route the reverse lamp source there, and a pair of wires brought back from the center fog light area to each taillight location to bring the rear fog source in. If you dont plan on using rear fogs at all, you just need to disconnect the reverse light source at the tail lights and run it to the center. Of course, you will need the clear reverse lamp as well as the two '02-04 taillight assemblies.

Old 10-22-2004, 09:30 AM
djafactor
3rd Gear
Greatbear, thanks! I'm going to go ahead and buy the set of rear tail lights, I'll rewire the reverse lights and do the double brake light to use the fogs as another set of brake lights. I'll also pick up a clear reverse light as well.

cheers,

Amit

Old 10-22-2004, 02:25 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey...instead of ordering why not trade? I might be willing to trade...i would like to see pics of them first though...it would be a no cost option that way

Old 10-22-2004, 03:42 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
If you swap it is still not quite a no cost option-

2005 MINI
adds the older style rear tail lights and
mid rear bumper white back up light
and wiring to rear back up light

2002-2004 MINI
adds the new style rear tail light and
mid rear bumper back up light cover- in matching color or I guess paint it from the 2005 bumper and
wiring adapters to make use of the rear tail light back up lights.

Have fun.

Old 10-22-2004, 06:21 PM
djafactor
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
Hey...instead of ordering why not trade? I might be willing to trade...i would like to see pics of them first though...it would be a no cost option that way
I'd trade but do not have my car yet. Just starting to collect all my add-ons, makes the wait a little easier. I've found a bunch of people that have replaced their tail lights with aftermarket ones. Just negotiating the deal, a used set should run $30-$40. Not going to order them new.

Amit

Old 10-30-2004, 10:21 PM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
Another option....

Have you considered keeping the '05 taillights and adding the '02-'04 backup lamp to the rear bumper and wiring it in? It would give you much brighter backup lamps (always a good thing) than either the old or new OEM setup, and it'd be unique (at least for a while).

Rawhyde

Old 10-30-2004, 10:35 PM
lotsie
Banned
On the 05's that I have driven and seen,some of the cosmetic changes seem like after thoughts to me.Moving the clock? The back up light hole still in the bumper,now filled with some grill thing
That Gertag in the MC is niceNo problems with my Midlands though:smile:

Old 10-31-2004, 01:44 AM
Teampajn
4th Gear
I have thought about addfing another backup light to the rear of our car. That little black piece just looks out of place. Besides, if I add another light it can only make it brighter behind me.

Old 10-31-2004, 11:27 AM
z3bum
5th Gear
I might have an extra set of used '02 taillights. I think I saved them when I put in the clear ones. What are they worth? They are in perfect, like new condition... assuming I can find them!!

Old 11-09-2004, 05:34 AM
vladimir
3rd Gear
The changes made to the '05 MINI? Cosmetic changes, and it is far too early in the life of this car for BMW to be tweaking it this way- this is a bad sign. The originial car went for 40 years with very litttle change... In the '05, every change (bumpers, lights, headlamps) looks awful. I remember when the car was new, (I had just gotten one), I read magazine commentary that "BMW needs to find a way to cut costs without reducing perceived quality," and I suspect that this is the result... but they have failed miserably. The 02-04 taillights in particular were beautiful, but moreover, they definitely were British- (yes, really-- that is what I mean-- they were evoking '60s- 70's BLeyland cars such as the Triumph and the original Mini). The new ones? --they look like they've been knocked off a Hundai or Sentra-- this is really disappointing. I can't believe that anyone at BMW really thought these were an improvement, so they must be a cost cutting measure, and that is sad. I'd gladly pay, what, another $100 to have kept the original design? And they look terrible when you see the car lit at night... Worse still, they haven't even resolved the backup light issue, but filled in the bumper, (what, there is a surplus of unused bumpers??) with a chintzy looking filler? Why chip around the edges of the design it took years to develop for re-introducing the car to the world? Just to save a few bucks? Or is it a greedy effort to thwart aftermarket manufacturers? I am second-guessing my plan to replace my '03 with an '05--- why should I be forced to spend hundreds just to replace these? There was almost nothing about the re-introduced MINI that I didn't like-- I can't say that about the '05...

Old 11-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am more of a fan of the 02-04 taillights mostly because of the smooth integration of the amber turn signal with the brake and rear fog lights. Of newer cars (other makes), the '05 MINI taillight is still quite unique in appearance (it still 'floats' in it's place in the rear quarter panel and has a smooth, integrated look) but at the same time it became more 'conventional' by gaining the reverse lamps in the assemblies.

One potential bonus gained by the new light style that no one seems to have picked up on yet is that a '05 MINI without the rear fog light installed now has a place for a totally integrated hidden hitch. The 'cheap plastic filler plug' can be used to cover a hidden receiver-style hitch when not in use, this can be popped out and a drawbar or bike/cargo rack inserted. Unlike earlier models, you wont be interfering with the reverse light. Those desiring a hitch in their early model cars can 'upgrade' to the '05 lights and use utilize the now unused reverse lamp location for the hitch. One can even modify the center rear fog light to use as a hitch cover. Best of both worlds, without backing up in the dark.

Old 11-09-2004, 12:45 PM
vladimir
3rd Gear
OK- that’s an interesting tack. But I’m not planning to use any sort of rack or hitch, so to me, the cheesy plastic insert just looks tacky. I am completely disappointed with virtually every change made to the ‘05’s…

Old 11-09-2004, 01:02 PM
mlebeau
4th Gear
Originally Posted by vladimir
OK- that’s an interesting tack. But I’m not planning to use any sort of rack or hitch, so to me, the cheesy plastic insert just looks tacky. I am completely disappointed with virtually every change made to the ‘05’s…
Then why on earth were you even considering replacing your '03?!

-mike

Old 11-10-2004, 07:00 AM
vladimir
3rd Gear
Well, I’ve had lots of problems with the central computer, (in my opinion, this car is far too reliant on electronics, and it’s hurt it quite a bit), which have led to problems with the idle, dashboard warning lights, windows, locks--- its just all added up. My affection for this car has really waned. I’ve wanted to get back into a British car for more than 20 years (well, the Triumph wouldn’t be safe to drive nowadays anyway…), and the MINI really satisfied that. Probably I’m just being much to pissy about these changes— but change just for the sake of it, or, to reduce costs (unless you can avoid the appearance of doing for that reason), doesn’t seem like a good idea.

Old 02-14-2005, 05:44 PM
regalic
2nd Gear
Anyone done or tried this yet?

Since I am still waiting for a white light kit for my 05 figured I would ask about this.

From looking at the .pdf for putting 05's taillights on 02's to 04's it seems possible. The things it doesn't mention are if the connectors are different (Don't think they are) between the old and new.

It also mentions "Encode/program the retrofit using DISPlus or GT-1 via path Retrofit/CIP" not sure if this is doable in reverse, if its neccesary, or if just by re-arranging the wiring I can get around anything that needs to get reprogrammed.

Old 02-15-2005, 05:41 AM
vladimir
3rd Gear
I have ordered an '05, and must sheepishly say that I over-reacted. I had been carrying on about, well... my posts are here. Seeing the car in person, at this stage I do appreciate the exterior changes, with the exception of the taillight assembly, which I agree has gotten more conventional with the redesign. I also stand by my statement that the car is less visible at night with this design- the lights appear to be pink blobs, (not certain why, but they are not "red"), but I expect I will be able to supplement that by running the fog light? But raising the car $500 seems to be worth it, in the end, the front seems (to me) a little more like the original Mini by removing a slat from the grill, etc. I would not have expected this. At the same time, I have no appreciation of any of the interior mods, if you want storage, I'm not sure why you'd consider this car in the first place. Adding a silly change holder here or there, that is just accomodating whiners, and it isn't necessary. I am looking for white rear light assemblies, but apparently they are not yet available. I also wouldn't expect that any manufacturer would invest in producing a retro kit to refit an '05 to pre-'05 rear treatment, that would retail quite high what with needing to include a back up light- unless there was a surplus of parts that could be bought up?

Old 02-15-2005, 06:44 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Pre 05 Lights

The pre 05 lights work in the 05s with out the modified harness. If you do not want the backup light you do not need the wiring harness. The early lights plug right in. The brake, turn and parking lights all work just fine. The connection is the same connection. I have been testing the install and removal of the light on my MCSC. I had both lights out and install a spare set of lights from 03 MC; they plugged in and worked just fine.

Old 02-15-2005, 07:32 AM
regalic
2nd Gear
Info from white light, fog light, and 02-04 to 05 .pdf

So if I did get a set of white lights, all I would have to do is the diode mod, activate the rear fog lights/install the switch pack, then figure out how to get the neccesary wires for the reverse light so I could have all of them working. Oh yeah almost forgot would still need a reflex reflector.

Hmmm looking at the 05 foglight install I would need

White Light Kit - 5 Listed on white light retro fit .pdf
Switch Pack (DSC/Front Fogs) - 61 31 6 917 993
Reverse Light 04 - unknown as of yet

Things I might need are (from 05 fog light install)

Connector Housing - 61 13 8 373 332
Terminal - 61 13 8 364 832

Okay looking at the white light install it has a

Wireing harness
Brake light relay
Quick connector
Female terminal housing

Anyone know if these would work on the 05 cars, also not sure exactly what they are for kind of thought the white lights were a straight swap.

Hmm think I might see what the white light wiring harness does. At the end of the .pdf it says "When using the brakes, the rear fog lights must be illuminated in parallel to the brake lights" So I am guessing this is the factory way of doing the diode brake mod.

I would go compare the .pdf's to my care but in the office atm and just looking for info.

If this seems like rambling to anyone, thats because it is

Old 04-20-2005, 08:29 AM
gmarcucio
1st Gear
I installed the Custom Tail lights on my 05 that fit 02 - 04 and installed a reverse light in the bumper like the 04's. I wired it so that the upper and lower red lenses are tail and brake lights and the center amber light is the directional. Check out the pics.

Attached Thumbnails '02-'04 tail lights on an '05?-mvc-017f.jpg   '02-'04 tail lights on an '05?-mvc-018f.jpg  
Old 04-20-2005, 08:31 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmmm eww

Old 04-21-2005, 08:17 AM
vladimir
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gmarcucio
I installed the Custom Tail lights on my 05 that fit 02 - 04 and installed a reverse light in the bumper like the 04's. I wired it so that the upper and lower red lenses are tail and brake lights and the center amber light is the directional. Check out the pics.
This looks good- far too adventurous for me, I am not technical enough. I also had enough (electrical) problems with my '03 that I felt I would be courting problems if I was tempted to do any electrical work myself, they might have interpreted that as a means to void my warranty. I instead ordered the rear fog light, and am satisfied with that as an alternative for the moment. Got stopped by a cop a week or so back, he wanted to be assured that it was a "stock" item and not an "owner-installed" alteration. At least I got confirmation that it does the job...

Old 04-21-2005, 09:21 AM
morknmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gmarcucio

Interesting. In anticipation of getting my MCS soon I contacted a NAM sponsor to inquire about after market tail lights for a 2005 and received a courteous response explaining that changes were made to the 2005 and therefore the 2002-04 lights would not work. I shall inquire again. Thanks.