Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Carbon fiber rear hatch lid

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 10:53 PM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
D6:

Has your hatch lid made it from the garage floor to the back of your MINI yet? I tend to use my hatch lid both for the privacy it offers and because I assume it damps rear end noise -- but I have to admit that I haven't tested that assumption. Have you noticed any difference in interior noise?

BTW, thanks for the glimps into a possible new art form. It hadn't occurred to me that carbon fiber stuff could be made at home!

Old 10-27-2004, 10:55 PM
d6-mcs
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont know what my next project will be, i was thinking of doing my b pillars on the interior. i really dont know whats next. i need to figure out how to do vacumming, using a high pressure vacumm and special vacumm bags to get the most flat pieces to make. if anyone get a chance to work on Cf....CF like to stay flat and doesnt like to mold around things, fun stuff, me and my buddy made a splitter for the first CF piece and came out really nice but ended up not being long enough.

the sound acually went down. i am running the borla sport exhaust and when i was off and now on it really does do a difference.

those door panels are sick....that kind of work on that is intense stuff. so much time. i will have some pics of my rear deck installed on the car. i did 5 hours of wet sanded on it and came out really flat.

i just got done tonight, painting my calipers Red, looks sick, looks like randy's MCS, ill get some pics up, later guys,, thanks for the replies.

chris

Old 10-27-2004, 11:54 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by d6-mcs
i dont know what my next project will be,...

those door panels are sick....that kind of work on that is intense stuff. so much time. i will have some pics of my rear deck installed on the car. i did 5 hours of wet sanded on it and came out really flat.

i just got done tonight, painting my calipers Red, looks sick, looks like randy's MCS, ill get some pics up, later guys,, thanks for the replies.

chris
Hey d6-mcs,

I think it's clear that you enjoy being creative and working on unique projects for your MINI. Props to you and for sharing with us. Discussing these things helps us all think about what was done and what could be done better (or differently) if that is possible.

In the end, you are the judge of that works or doesn't work. Motor on.

Old 10-28-2004, 03:18 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
:smile: The hatch or "privacy" shelf, DOES work as a sound-baffler. Having driven 36K miles in my Wanda, including many trips with the seats down and without the shelf in place, it makes a BIG difference in exhaust noise. :smile:

While the cf is not to my personal taste, I find it very interesting to see how people continue to seek ways to personalize their MINIs. FUN!

Please post pix when you install the cf-covered shelf, Chris. :smile:

Clover

Old 10-28-2004, 09:38 AM
SCA
3rd Gear
Beats that goofy wing for sure

Chris -- thanks for sharing your work. Good effort and cool concept, although its hard to tell in the pix exactly how it looks.

Don't feel bad about the people giving you grief about it. They're just mad because they spent money on that goofy m7 CF wing. That does nothing good for performance OR looks

Old 10-28-2004, 10:15 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Where are the useful FUNCTIONAL pieces like CF underbody diffuser or rear seat replacement panel???

Old 10-28-2004, 10:18 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Where are the useful FUNCTIONAL pieces like CF underbody diffuser or rear seat replacement panel???
heh heh nice...you mean performance functional...cuase the rear shelf is functional...just not for you or I who have no back seats etc....it would be interesting to make a panel for that rear seat delete...carpeting is there now...looks nice but not as nice as CF

Old 10-28-2004, 10:44 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
While we're on the subject of functional CF replacement...how about a CF roof panel replacement for someone like me who mistakenly ordered the "boat anchor" sunroof or just a CF glass panel replacement???

1-CF rear underbody diffuser
2-CF rear seat delete cover panel
3-CF roof replacement
4-CF sunroof glass panel replacement
5-CF rear quarter glass replacement
6-CF rear glass replacement

Old 10-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
You know I have thought of that often...especially cause you can see through CF...well not see like a window but light does come through...heh heh...that would be grrrrreat!

Old 10-28-2004, 10:47 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
While we're on the subject of functional CF replacement...how about a CF roof panel replacement for someone like me who mistakenly ordered the "boat anchor" sunroof ???
I love my "boat anchor" sunroof! One of my favorite MINI options!

Clover

Old 10-29-2004, 03:31 AM
enzothemaddog
Banned
While we're on the subject of functional CF replacement...how about a CF roof panel replacement for someone like me who mistakenly ordered the "boat anchor" sunroof or just a CF glass panel replacement???

1-CF rear underbody diffuser
2-CF rear seat delete cover panel
3-CF roof replacement
4-CF sunroof glass panel replacement
5-CF rear quarter glass replacement
6-CF rear glass replacement
Sid, you crazy, Im not doing those glass bits, just get some of that plastic panel. No.2. Is being put into factory next week..

Old 10-29-2004, 08:43 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by enzothemaddog
Sid, you crazy, Im not doing those glass bits, just get some of that plastic panel. No.2. Is being put into factory next week..
XELENT Do you have a site? How do I buy things from you?

Old 10-29-2004, 11:43 AM
discodan
5th Gear
hey MSFITOY,

you ever see this rear diffuser from Arqray in Japan? they have lots of nice looking stuff for MINIs.

they have some nice looking exhausts too

Old 10-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SCA
Chris -- thanks for sharing your work. Good effort and cool concept, although its hard to tell in the pix exactly how it looks.

Don't feel bad about the people giving you grief about it. They're just mad because they spent money on that goofy m7 CF wing. That does nothing good for performance OR looks
Unfortunately you are mistaken...as far as i know, no one who posted has that spoiler...and secondly, that spoiler is functional no matter how goofy looking it is...function means it does something for performance. This spoiler increases the downforce on the rear of the car. The JCC cup cars now use it because the stock Cooper S spoiler (which i have been told is actually functional as well) wasnt giving them enough downforce on the rear. It was a good try at a joke, but was a bit misguided

CF can definitely be functional, and at that point its very useful especially with things like spoilers and diffusers.

Old 10-29-2004, 12:19 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
XELENT Do you have a site? How do I buy things from you?
I have contacted EnzoTheMadDog in an attempt to have him join NAM as a vendor. We have offered several different options but, at this time, he has elected not to join the site as a vendor. Given this and previous posts he made asking people to contact him for products we have been forced to moderate his posts to the site. These measures were taken so as not to erode the value the site has for current vendors that have been long term supporters of NAM and the MINI community. He is still welcome on the site but may not post any form of promotion for his products or solicit business. If you are interested in his products please post asking him to join the site as a vendor. I think he has displayed an ability to create some great products that indeed have an audience here on the site but to market them he must abide by the same guidelines we have for all vendors.

Old 10-29-2004, 03:22 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Shaaaawwiiiiinnnng

Not the "functional" version I'm thinking of but D@mn! That's nice looking. Oh the agony of locating one of these for sale Oh yeah...get ready for the sticker shock...$1211

Old 10-29-2004, 03:37 PM
minibrute
4th Gear
I want one too

Agony is right, my car is at the dealer been serviced and won't have it thru the weekend. I'm ready to buy something. I like that carbon piece, group buy time.

Old 10-29-2004, 04:45 PM
enzothemaddog
Banned
Shaaaawwiiiiinnnng

Not the "functional" version I'm thinking of but D@mn! That's nice looking. Oh the agony of locating one of these for sale Oh yeah...get ready for the sticker shock...$1211
hahahhaah, thanks for the pic $1211

Old 10-31-2004, 04:36 PM
d6-mcs
4th Gear
These Are The Pics You Have All Been Waiting For

looks awesome

chris

thanks for the replies guys....

Old 10-31-2004, 08:47 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
sweeet!! nice job man!!

Old 10-31-2004, 09:07 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pretty good for a first try...you think you will make another batch for shows now that you are more experienced?

Congrats on trying something new...just gotta refine it now

Old 10-31-2004, 10:59 PM
goin440
6th Gear
I think some fail to realize everybody else's opinions on style doesn't have to be reflected by one's own personal tastes. Last time I was on the road I saw maybe one MINI.

D6-mcs just created a part in is own garage that looks good (considering the means) and costs cheap. When the first 15% pulley came out, there were haters. We're now at 19%. When the first MINI debued, there were and still are haters. There were white-top haters and black-top haters, Cooper/One performance haters, even haters of their own MINI.

Some can preach function over form from their perched pulpit, but remember we all drive a "stylish" car with amentities that weighs a dumpy 2500 lbs. BMW markets our cars as go-karts. The go-kart in my garage doesn't have a boot, bonnet, or even require a key for operation that out performs GM's finest while using 7 less cylinders. Form vs. Function =

We all share a common passion here. If an individual strengthens their own passion using neato technology, please feel free to divuldge the details openly without harassment.

A quote from South Park says it best: "I mean, C-mon."

Old 11-01-2004, 10:59 AM
d6-mcs
4th Gear
nicey put, thanks again.

i dont know what to do next as will carbon fiber, i got a IM about making a front and rear bumper for the MCS last night, i think it would be pretty cool, but of course it would have to be a overlay, i couldnt think of how hard it would be to make a Full CF front and rear bumper for the MINI's. all the brackets and bolt holes. hopefuilly, one day i can get that good thanks the replies, and i will keep everyone notified about the NEXT CF PROJECT.

chris

thanks

Old 11-01-2004, 11:17 AM
MyPocketRocket
6th Gear
I want it...I want it!

Old 11-14-2004, 11:40 PM
trickedmotoring
4th Gear
looks great and i think its cool. dont listen to the crap that other people say. id like to see more cf pieces.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Carbon fiber rear hatch lid