Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Carbon fiber rear hatch lid

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004 | 11:46 PM
d6-mcs
|
4th Gear
Carbon fiber rear hatch lid

i know no one has done this yet. did a carbon fiber overlay. looks sick.

chris

Old 10-25-2004 | 12:15 AM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
Sure they have, this will definately compliment the rest of your non-functional "performance" mods perfectly...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WD1V

Old 10-25-2004 | 06:24 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
But zamirz....everyone knows CF lowers your 0-60 time by nearly a second

An overlay is even worse...that means you are only adding weight

Old 10-25-2004 | 03:42 PM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
d6 mcs i cant see the pictures?
i like the way cf looks.

Old 10-25-2004 | 04:02 PM
npartist
4th Gear
WOW! way to rail a member! If he likes CF overlay and you hate it, keep it to yourself or atleast state it nicely. Talk about a good way to kill someones self-esteem. Anyways, i can't see the pics either, but each to their own.

Old 10-25-2004 | 10:03 PM
d6-mcs
|
4th Gear
man you hurt my feelings it was cheap money well spent i would say. its one of those things that i decided to do on the weekend. at least i dont sit around with my thumb up my a$$.
chris

Old 10-25-2004 | 10:30 PM
d6-mcs
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
But zamirz....everyone knows CF lowers your 0-60 time by nearly a second

An overlay is even worse...that means you are only adding weight
whats your 0-60 time????

chris

Old 10-25-2004 | 11:14 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
Oh, I thought you meant the actual hatch itself. That's a much better idea, I'm sure it'll cure all of that oversteer your MINI has.

Old 10-26-2004 | 12:09 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Hey Chris...I think it's great....I would love to wrap some of my stuff in CF cause there is not pieces sold or whatever...the look is great and it is real cf...and honestly ummmm it would take so much CF to effect your speed or 0-60 time that its a joke to even think about it...LOL...

Good stuff keep it up...I'll be pickin your brain soon

Chris

Old 10-26-2004 | 02:30 AM
enzothemaddog
Banned
muhahahahahaha. Sorry Brother but I've already created a PURE Carbon Fiber boot panel. Weighs nothing and is a direct replacement panel not a cover.
Heres a Pic of it. Toight like a toiger
nice try though.

Old 10-26-2004 | 06:34 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
I havent tested my acceleration in a while. I will probaby test it again when i get my throttle body and header on.

Like zamirz, i thought you meant that you did the actual hatch....but i understand what you mean now...A company over in Japan has already made the part that you show here, they installed some speaker in it too.

Old 10-26-2004 | 11:49 AM
robertbrite
1st Gear
Could North American Mororing forums get much worse? A guy comes up with something new that other forum members would think is pretty cool, next thing you know a jerk has to start ripping on it. A jerk who also posted a pic saying they have already made it. Problem here is that he was showing a VIS rear hatch, not a cover for the rear boot; THEY ARE COMPLETLY DIFFERENT PARTS! Get some meds and chill man.

Chris, once you get it installed I personally would like to see some pics and some info on how the fitment works out. Thanks, for contributing something useful to the forum community. We really need to thin the heard of people who aren't trying to be helpful.

Old 10-26-2004 | 11:56 AM
bigpmj
4th Gear
That looks slick. Is that the piece that covers up the trunk? I like it.

I sure hope ZAMIRZ doesnt do a single thing to make his car look better. It would be a complete waste of money. Only performance mods should be done to MCS's...never anything else. Never.

Old 10-26-2004 | 12:29 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
I thought that CF deck looked pretty cool. but that must've stunk
up the whole garage, huh with all that acetone?

Old 10-26-2004 | 12:49 PM
d6-mcs
|
4th Gear
i am not a big fan of that new rear hatch that vis made for the mini coopers. or the carbon fiber hood that you can get. i just dont want to spend all that money that coopertuning.de wants for there carbon fiber interior. the raw carbon we are using once the parts in covered maybe wieghs a ounce more then what it was. sorry if i sound like a jerk or anything but i like to do things to my mini without spending like you said on non-performance parts. for a
4x3 ft of raw carbon fiber costs 35 bucks and resin is about 14 bucks and you can do a lot with the both of those. me and the buddy that i am working on this with ARE trying to figure out how to make replacement parts instead of overlaying. this was our second piece that we have done carbon fiber so i am new at it. i just got done with that plastic piece around the digi clock in the headrest. another overlay but came out good. acually in a few weeks in will have a 4 point full polished roll car from germany made by wiechers-sport.de that will make the chassic of my mini a like bit more rigid. hopefully getting rid of the oversteering and yes i have a 20mm sway bar.

as for the actone and resin is doesnt smell that bad if you have a fan going. if anyone lives around a TAP Plastics and would like to get into carbon fiber work you can get it there. CHEAP

i will get some pics of some finish products that we have done carbon fiber. as for the fitment on that rear piece it fit just like stock, like i said that carbon is less then a millimeter thick and is light. thanks for the replies. later guys

chris

Old 10-26-2004 | 01:18 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Did you have to remove the fuzzyness off of it in order to get it to stick with the resin, or is it ok to adhere it to that? I always thought it would be cool to do the A,B, and C pillars in CF if someone were to do a show car.

I've been searching for the pics of the one done by Option magazine over in japan, but my bookmark is dead now. They had fit some small speakers into it, and wrapped the rest in CF, they also did the entire dash, but had mounted a TV in the passenger airbag cover. I will keep searching to see if i can show it to you, just in case you want to do the rest of your interior

Old 10-26-2004 | 01:19 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
I think that it is more of the way they post was placed starting off with " I know this has never been done before " that gets some people fired up. If you look at this piece from a company in Australia I think you can see that may not be true. At least i think this is the same piece he was trying to make in his garage. They do look to be a bit different but then which would you rather have on your car if you were so inclined? This is a replacment piece by the way not an overlay. Not a bad first effort but has a ways to go when compared to what else is out there.

Randy
Team M7

www.m7tuning.com

Old 10-26-2004 | 01:25 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by d6-mcs
ARE trying to figure out how to make replacement parts instead of overlaying.

hopefully getting rid of the oversteering and yes i have a 20mm sway bar.

In terms of making Oem pieces, it will be a bit more complicated....This is just a quick skim over what you would need to do, there are more details that i'm leaving out, but you will get the jist. Take for example the hatch lid....you would need to make a cast for the CF....so you would make a mold of the top half using fiberglass, and then make the bottom half out of fiberglass...these pieces would have to be thicker then just a few millimeters so that you can apply force to them...then you lay in enough layers of CF to make it the thickness you want, and then apply the other half of the mold...you let that sit until it has hardened and then voila. It gets a bit tricker for parts with tab mounts...you would either have to mold the tab mounts (hard to get precise) or rig up some kind of mount that could hold them in.

In terms of oversteer....thats pretty weird that you are still experiencing oversteer with that bar installed...it might have to do with your KWs, have you had your car corner-balanced? I dont think the oversteer is brought out by a lack of rigidity in the chassis, that would just make the car's handling a little less predictable.

here's a site that might help you with your quest to reduce oversteer...looks like you might have to work on the adjustments of your coilovers a bit
http://rogerkrausracing.com/overundr.html

Old 10-26-2004 | 01:40 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Here it is! i found it again

See these guys did the same thing a while ago...but with speakers and stuff...take a look at some of their pics...

Click Here

Old 10-26-2004 | 01:47 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bigpmj
That looks slick. Is that the piece that covers up the trunk? I like it.

I sure hope ZAMIRZ doesnt do a single thing to make his car look better. It would be a complete waste of money. Only performance mods should be done to MCS's...never anything else. Never.
I'm a firm believer in form following function as evidenced by every single modification done to my car with the exception of the '04 cupholder. Carbon fiber is used extensively in racing applications where it is ***surprise surprise*** functional and *gasp* PAINTED. Would you believe that? It seems these days everybody is quick to just throw carbon fiber trinkets on their car just for the sake of them being carbon fiber.

Whether it's been done before or not is irrelevant, it shouldn't be. If you design a part that is going to enhance the performance of the car and happen to manufacture it out of carbon fiber because of its advantage over other products such as fiberglass, so be it. But all of this CRAP that people make out of carbon fiber that serves ZERO purpose is laughable at best and as long as it's posted in a public forum I'm entitled to my own opinion. I haven't made any personal attacks nor resorted to name-calling like robertbrite and am within the site guidelines.

Old 10-26-2004 | 02:09 PM
mini giant
4th Gear
i think it looks pretty sweet

Old 10-26-2004 | 02:13 PM
J-Didi
3rd Gear
D - I think that's a pretty neat idea. Looks good. I think if I tried something like that I'd wind up with carbon-fiber hand and foot prints all over my garage

Old 10-26-2004 | 02:55 PM
d2mini
5th Gear
Looks good man!

but i don't remember seeing the pics yesterday which is probably what lead to the confusion. Glad i checked back today.

Old 10-26-2004 | 02:59 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Chris let me see if I have this straight. You are the kid running 8 inch wide front wheels and 9 inch wide REAR with tires on rims bigger than they were designed for to get the " euro stretched look " and are wondering why you have handling issues ? Priceless Enjoy your cars looks if that works for you and forget about taking corners.

Randy

Old 10-26-2004 | 03:04 PM
ukbyoung
2nd Gear
i never understood the point of that thing (hatch cover) so i just took it out. I am big fan of CF but if I can get away with just taking out the part as in this situation I usually do.

B

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Carbon fiber rear hatch lid