Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Fixing glove box rattle. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 02:06 PM
BillyB
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixing glove box rattle. Ideas?

Like many of us, I have my fair share of MINI creaks, rattles, and buzz. The passenger door HK speaker rattle was one of the noisiest, but the dealer seems to have solved that one, though they've not been too hot on some of the others rattles. My glove box rattle is the next rattle on my list of problems to fix, and it looks like I'll have to do it myself. Any ideas? Pics?

I've got some ideas of what to do, based on how I can quiet this glove box rattle by hand. If someone has already taken care of this problem for themselves, I'd certainly like to hear how you went about it. I'm thinking of running some thick weather stripping type material accross the join line between the top of the glove box door and the dash. I'm not hot about sticking anything to the velvety material of the inside of the glove box, but would rather attach whatever I use to the plastic of the glove box door, just in case I have to later remove the rattle stopping material.

Instead of weather stripping, are any other materials recommendable? How about thickness of the material? It seems I'll likely need something rather thick, but not too thick...as the glove box might not open and close properly. (Yeah, I know, I might have to experiment, but I'm hoping to avoid that with this thread.)

Anyway, if you've had luck in this area, please let me know how you went about it. I've searched, but have not found anything very specific about solving this problem, though it's certainly a very common issue with MINI's.

Old 10-27-2004, 06:30 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
spritz some silicone lube on the hook for the door, taa daa

Old 10-28-2004, 03:15 AM
BillyB
3rd Gear
Hmmm...I'd not thought of that. Do you mean on the connector located in the glove box door? Or the one in the glove box compartment? Or both?

If this works, I'll name my next child after you. (Ok, I'm not planning on having another child, but if this DOES work...I may end up being SO happy...that I lose all self control, and fail to properly protect myself against mother nature's cruel sense of humor. )

Just to let everyone know, I'm still open to other ideas as well.

Old 10-28-2004, 03:21 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BillyB
Just to let everyone know, I'm still open to other ideas as well.
Never doubt the word of Lord Ryephile!

Clover

Old 10-28-2004, 08:23 AM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe retrofit the 2005 glovebox in? The locking mechanism may stop the rattling.

Old 10-28-2004, 02:49 PM
BillyB
3rd Gear
It IS a 2005 locking glove box! (Just took delivery of the car a few weeks ago, and have already been in once for rattles.)

Old 10-28-2004, 04:49 PM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BillyB
It IS a 2005 locking glove box! (Just took delivery of the car a few weeks ago, and have already been in once for rattles.)
Hmm... Neither my 04 nor my 05 had the glovebox rattle.

Old 10-29-2004, 07:45 PM
JoeDentist
4th Gear
A lot of glovebox rattles are caused by the door not being held tightly enough by the catch. See if there are any adjusting screws that let you move the piece that the arm engages to click shut. If there is none, try wrapping the hook on the catch with a small rubber band or some tape.

Old 10-30-2004, 04:48 AM
BillyB
3rd Gear
Hmmm...ok, that sounds worth checking out as well. Geez, I'm not sure I have enough money for all these expensive "mods".

Thank you all. I'll report back how well these fixes work...as soon as I have the money for the lube and the rubber band. (I'm happy no one has recommended duck-tape yet, though I'd happily use it if I thought it'd work.)

Old 11-03-2004, 03:19 AM
BillyB
3rd Gear
Ok, I tried the silicone lube, and I tried the rubber band thing, but neither method worked, I'm sorry to report. There doesn't seem to be any sure way to adjust tension on the latch by tinkering around with adjustment screws, so that option is out. So, now I'm back to planning on using a thick length of rubber material, placed strategically so as to apply enough pressure on the glove box, when closed, to kill the movement caused by road vibration that gets the thing to rattling.

I'll check out a local auto parts store, but I think I'll have to look around at a hardware store to find something that'll work, and also look OK. I'll measure the gap to be filled with some "play-dough" type material, by closing the glove box door on the goo, then seeing how compressed it gets. Finding a proper thickness of weather stripping type material will be challenging, but that's part of the fun of owning a MINI, eh?

I'll let you know how this project goes, and provide some pics and measurements of the successfully used materials, assuming this works.

Old 11-03-2004, 06:27 AM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Does it rattle even with the latch locked?

Old 11-03-2004, 12:22 PM
BillyB
3rd Gear
Yeah, I'm afraid so, it rattles even when locked.

Old 11-05-2004, 09:07 AM
03rzaMINI
1st Gear
I have an 03 MC and the two flaps that go up when the sunfoof opens rattle alot when the sunroof is closed. Anybody have this problem? I am planning on just putting on weather material or those little cushien sticky things that you find on the bottom of t.v's and many other electronics. You think this will work?

Unfortunately my glove box doesn't seem to rattle so I can't help you there man, but maybe it does I just can't hear it cause that damn sunroof flap rattle is so loud!!

Old 09-09-2007, 01:30 PM
WGJP
3rd Gear
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts
Any updates on what works to stop glove box door rattles?

I have an '06 MCS and the door rattles most of the time:
- I took it in and the dealer made some type of adjustment, but it did little if anything to improve the rattle
- it does not rattle when the door is left open (but that is just a bit inconvenient!)
- it still rattles when the glove box is locked
- the rattle stops when I reach over and apply pressure to the lock itself

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Jim

Old 09-09-2007, 02:01 PM
bean
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this may or may not be the most convenient option.....let the dealer fix it. i beat the crap out of my car on the track doing de's and my very friendly local dealer fixes everything they can. they get paid by MINI to fix your car. they aren't doing you a favor. if you have had it to the dealer and they didn't fix it, ask for a more experienced tech. they know how to fix these stupid little problems....good luck.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:26 PM
trico
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 03rzaMINI
I have an 03 MC and the two flaps that go up when the sunfoof opens rattle alot when the sunroof is closed. Anybody have this problem? I am planning on just putting on weather material or those little cushien sticky things that you find on the bottom of t.v's and many other electronics. You think this will work?

Unfortunately my glove box doesn't seem to rattle so I can't help you there man, but maybe it does I just can't hear it cause that damn sunroof flap rattle is so loud!!
Dealer fixed mine by supergluing two buttons to the flaps - one to each flap, where they hit the roof tray when the roof is closed. Rattles gone since the extra width secures the flaps flush against the tray

Old 09-09-2007, 11:02 PM
pmfranke
2nd Gear
03 "S" my car 's glove box door just fly's open all the time . so i pry'ed it a part i has 40 or so tabs inside all glued together.I found the plastic chrome handle piece was broken in three places. 5 min epoxy to the rescue. now the two spring work together and all is good re- glued and solid. it still worked even broken in 3 places.It took a lot of force to rip it apart, this fix is not for the light harted. check your chome handle to see if it rocks side to side, twists a little.If so your latch might be broken too. good luck.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:05 AM
sraturbo
Neutral
Try removing the glove box and applying felt tape where the glove box meets the dash. If its the door that rattles try using black rubber speaker pads on the door. The pads will take up the slack in the latch. Felt tape is the most common cure the dealership uses for rattles. I should know Im an ex bmw mini tech. Good luck with the rattle.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:35 PM
stratman977
4th Gear
My glove box on my 06 MCS has been rattling for a while. I even had the dealer look at it once and they blamed it on loose items in the glove box. I just figured out that it's an air vent thats loose right where it butts up to the dash. You may want to check the vents out as well.