Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Auto Dimming Mirror Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 08:17 AM
minibobinva
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Dimming Mirror Question

Does anyone know if it is possible to retrofit the auto dimming rear view mirror to a cooper s (cabrio) that wasnt equipped with it from the factory?

Thanks!

Old 10-28-2004, 08:36 AM
Blue Brummie
4th Gear
2nd question -

I already own a MINI with the Auto Dimming Mirror and I notice that at certain speed ranges (on smooth roads), the mirror has a noticeable vibration that makes it tough to see. If I touch the mirror or slightly reposition it, the vibration goes away until I hit a different speed range and it happens again.

Has anyone else noticed this, and if you have, do you have a simple fix to dampen the vibration ?

Thanks,
BB

Old 10-28-2004, 08:39 AM
SwingMCS03
4th Gear
I haven't noticed any vibration of my mirror.

Old 10-28-2004, 08:46 AM
Jen
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minibobinva
Does anyone know if it is possible to retrofit the auto dimming rear view mirror to a cooper s (cabrio) that wasnt equipped with it from the factory?

Thanks!

I am interested in the same topic to retrofit a 2003 MC

Old 10-28-2004, 09:56 AM
Jenn B
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SwingMCS03
I haven't noticed any vibration of my mirror.
Me either.. I absolutely love mine.

There are so many features on this car that I will never go without after having them on my MCS.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:06 AM
mlebeau
4th Gear
Only notice vibration when the H/K is really pumping out the bass.

-mike

Old 10-28-2004, 11:14 AM
d2mini
5th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
I was asking the same question this morning on cooperspeed. I get the same vibration even with the stereo off. But put on something bassy and forget about it..... lots of vibrations.
More vibration than any other car I've ever had.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:20 AM
Blue Brummie
4th Gear
I definitely get a volume induced vibration, but, that is self induced. The vibration I'm talking about seems to be from driving specifically. I know that various bits in a car have their own self resonance, but the vibration in the mirror is really annoying, especially at night.

I have the same problem with my Eddie Bauer Explorer so I thought it was perhaps something to do with the photochromic technology used.

BB

Old 10-28-2004, 11:31 AM
rg
3rd Gear
Meanwhile back to the point...

have you tried contacting Classic Mini?! I would imagine that all the workings of the mirror our housed internally, and that all you would need is a power source, which is probably sitting up there somewhere already.

Old 10-29-2004, 06:22 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Only get the vibration in the mirror when driving on grooved pavement, other than that no troubles. But then again we also haven't be plagued with the rattles that seem to be common either.

As for the mirror, I don't think it's possible to retrofit the mirror using MINI parts, but I think there is an aftermarket mirror out there somewhere

Old 10-31-2004, 06:50 PM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rg
have you tried contacting Classic Mini?! I would imagine that all the workings of the mirror our housed internally, and that all you would need is a power source, which is probably sitting up there somewhere already.
I think you'll need more than a power source....

I don't have a MINI yet, but I DO have an Impala SS with an auto dimming mirror...they are really great!

Here are the typical inputs for the mirror.

Wire to indicate headlights ON (Mirror won't dim unless headlights are on)
Wire to indicate BACKUP lights ON. (Mirror won't dim in reverse)
Wire to indicate key is in run position. (Mirror won't dim unless key is on)

The rest of the logic is done by photocells within the mirror housing.

The needed wires are probably already there. If not, you'll need a circuit diagram of the car from the shop manual (TIS CD). Even in the worst case scenario, it shouldn't be too difficult to do.

Rawhyde

Old 11-01-2004, 02:03 AM
KatanaPilot
4th Gear
Can you guys take your regular mirrors off? If you can, search around up there and see if you can find a plug with 3 wires. I don't remember the colors off hand. It might be tied up in a bundle off to the side, so you might have to pull the clock out to search for it.

MINI auto dimming mirrors do not have a wire to indicate whether the headlights are on or not. It has two photocells; one on the side facing you to detect glare from cars behind you, and one on the side away from you to detect whether it is day or night. I dont know for sure, but I guess the three wires are power, ground, and signal for reverse.

Old 11-02-2004, 11:30 AM
oldhippie
2nd Gear
Location: Cowan, Tennessee (Foothills of the Great Smokey Mountains)
Haven't noticed any vibration!! Do enjoy the auto dimming mirror though.

Old 11-02-2004, 02:29 PM
minibobinva
1st Gear
Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the advice. I will contact Classic Mini and check for the 3 wire plug.

Bob

Old 11-02-2004, 05:33 PM
jcs
3rd Gear
Interested in same for my 2003 MCS. Ordered it with the mirror but did not get it :-(
a year ago I checked with Brian at Classic auto, but did not find any answer of the possible simple install. Also, while installing/hard wireing my Valentine One to the clock power did not see any empty plug next to the mirror above the liner.

Old 12-16-2004, 02:54 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So any more recent news???

I'm interested in adding one of these to my 2003 MC. Can it be done and at what cost???

Old 12-16-2004, 04:36 PM
C4
Banned
The auto self dimming rearview mirror is one of the best features in the MINI after the MFSW, hands down.

I really enjoy it in my '04 MCS and it works fairly well. I used to have this feature in my previous car, a 2001 Chevy Impala LS.

MINI should also offer this feature in the exterior rearview mirrors, because the glare coming from the headlights of trucks and SUVs is quite bothersome at times.

Old 12-16-2004, 05:04 PM
OctaneGuy
Is this switchable??? My wifes Lexus IS300 is, and I like being able to defeat it if I wanted to. I didn't think the MINI one was, so I didn't get it.

Also, anyone that asked Classic MINI, can you tell me what you were quoted? I don't want to ask them the price if someone here already knows.

Thanks!

Richard

Originally Posted by Cooper4us
The auto self dimming rearview mirror is one of the best features in the MINI after the MFSW, hands down.

I really enjoy it in my '04 MCS and it works fairly well. I used to have this feature in my previous car, a 2001 Chevy Impala LS.

MINI should also offer this feature in the exterior rearview mirrors, because the glare coming from the headlights of trucks and SUVs is quite bothersome at times.

Old 12-17-2004, 07:55 AM
Blue Brummie
4th Gear
The MINI autodimming mirror is not switchable, but I'm not sure why you'd want it to be. It works great.

As far as adding it on after the fact, your best bet is to contact MINI. I've not seen this anywhere as an add-on feature.

BB

Old 12-17-2004, 08:24 AM
OctaneGuy
Well the first time I experienced an autodimming mirror was when driving my fathers Lexus LS430 and it wasn't switchable. I found at night, the mirror got really dark, which was great for reducing glare, but bad if you're used to keeping an eye out for cops.

Then we bought a 2003 Lexus IS300 Sport Cross which had an autodimming mirror and it was switchable which is exactly what I'd want. =)

Thanks for the suggestion.

Richard

Originally Posted by Blue Brummie
The MINI autodimming mirror is not switchable, but I'm not sure why you'd want it to be. It works great.

As far as adding it on after the fact, your best bet is to contact MINI. I've not seen this anywhere as an add-on feature.

BB

Old 12-17-2004, 10:30 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The auto-dim mirror on my wife's '03 New Beetle GLX is switchable. There have been times when that comes in handy.

My old '00 Jetta had blue tinted glass on the side mirrors which did a tremendous job of cutting down the glare. I really wish there was a similar part available for the MINI.

As to retrofitting to a MINI, I'm sure that it is possible. It's just a matter of how bad you want it.