Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Permanent oil temperature sensor r53 - Drilling new hole into oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 12:51 PM
Jahboto
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Permanent oil temperature sensor r53 - Drilling new hole into oil pan

Hello all,

I will be drilling and threading a new hole into my oil pan in order to "permanently" install the oil temperature sensor drain plug. I will be using a 0.5 inch drill bit to create the hole, then threading it with a M14x1.5 tap. I have read about others doing this same mod but I have not seen any comments regarding the best place for the new hole/oil temp sensor.

Is there an optimal spot for the new hole/oil temp sensor?

Old 04-02-2018, 01:53 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 390 Likes on 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Jahboto
Hello all,

I will be drilling and threading a new hole into my oil pan in order to "permanently" install the oil temperature sensor drain plug. I will be using a 0.5 inch drill bit to create the hole, then threading it with a M14x1.5 tap. I have read about others doing this same mod but I have not seen any comments regarding the best place for the new hole/oil temp sensor.

Is there an optimal spot for the new hole/oil temp sensor?
Oil pressure is much more important than temperature. Putting the temp sensor at the pan is a compromise and I don't see any ill in that. It might read a few degrees low but should well serve the intended purpose. And then what is the most accurate location? The oil temperature varies as it passes thru each vital Mini's internal organs, some high, and some low. Most important is to know where you mount it and interpret the reading accordingly.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:18 PM
Jahboto
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
Oil pressure is much more important than temperature. Putting the temp sensor at the pan is a compromise and I don't see any ill in that. It might read a few degrees low but should well serve the intended purpose. And then what is the most accurate location? The oil temperature varies as it passes thru each vital Mini's internal organs, some high, and some low. Most important is to know where you mount it and interpret the reading accordingly.
I was thinking more along the lines of where in the pan to put the hole/sensor as to be out of the way of things like bolts, since the sensor protrudes a bit. As for accuracy, the sensor typically just replaces the normal oil drain plug, so I am fine with keeping it in the oil pan. Also, the wiring is already in place. I have read about others putting it in the oil filter housing.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:31 PM
Minidogger
4th Gear
Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Interesting project. I am new to Minis so please excuse my ignorance.

Does the Mini have an OEM oil temp monitoring circuit?

If not, did you add a readout to the dash?

What is the protocol for oil temp if it exceeds expected temp? Do you just slow down?

How often does the oil overheat?

Is the addition of an oil cooler another solution?

Thanks

Old 04-02-2018, 05:22 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 232 Likes on 169 Posts
Why go to all that trouble when you can use a Temp Sensor Drain Plug rather than the conventional drain plug? Removing it to drain the oil is no biggie.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:47 PM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by Jahboto
I was thinking more along the lines of where in the pan to put the hole/sensor as to be out of the way of things like bolts, since the sensor protrudes a bit. As for accuracy, the sensor typically just replaces the normal oil drain plug, so I am fine with keeping it in the oil pan. Also, the wiring is already in place. I have read about others putting it in the oil filter housing.
The oil filter housing is very congested with the biggest constraint being the exhaust header. You will see if you look there carefully. Here is one great installation with Smith mechanical gauges you might find useful. The challenge with the oil pan is lack of thickness.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:04 PM
Jahboto
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Why go to all that trouble when you can use a Temp Sensor Drain Plug rather than the conventional drain plug? Removing it to drain the oil is no biggie.
I already dropped the oil pan to change gasket, already have auxiliary gauges and wiring installed, and the thread count on the oil temp sensor is something like 4 which makes it prone to stripping. I also have the drill bit and tap tools, so realistically, all I need to do is drill a new hole, thread it, pop oil temp sensor in, and replace the original drain plug hole with a Fumoto valve. I'll never have to unscrew a drain plug again!

I am just looking for perfect placement of the hole. I won't be back at my car for two weeks which is part of the reason I asked the question. I am thinking directly above the current drainage hole could work. Also, I would think the top of the oil is better to get a temp reading from since the oil drips down directly from the engine and then works its way to the bottom to get repumped.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:08 PM
Jahboto
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minidogger

What is the protocol for oil temp if it exceeds expected temp? Do you just slow down?

Thanks
The attached image shows the auxiliary gauges I have which provide the readout. As for the other questions, someone else will have to chime in!

Attached Thumbnails Permanent oil temperature sensor r53 - Drilling new hole into oil pan-aux-gauges.jpg  
Old 04-06-2018, 12:52 PM
Jahboto
2nd Gear
Here are two helpful threads I found. It also pointed me in the direction of where to drill a new hole. The new hole will be going to the left of the oil drain plug.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...p-point-2.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4246015

Old 07-16-2018, 07:24 PM
RedAggie03
4th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I’m putting mine here, to the left of the oil plug. I could have put it a touch lower as it turns out, but it will be fine.

Last edited by RedAggie03; 07-31-2018 at 09:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
00Mini (07-22-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 08:13 AM
downshift1
4th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
This makes sense because the dealers never stock the correct crush ring for the sensor drain plug. It also means you don't have to worry about the wire being so low.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:31 AM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by Minidogger

Thanks
Despite I now have a centre console gauge pod I will give you a unvarnished opinion as to the usefulness of MINI's oil temperature gauge. I only bought the gauge pod set for its gauge pod. IMO voltage and oil temperature is very low on the hierarchy of need in terms of usefulness when you consider to be more informed of the vital signs of the engine.

A: Other than this sell-up boutique JCW gauge kit, the DME does squad in monitoring oil temperature. Nor does it do anything when your oil pressure drop below fatal threshold, except lighting up the idiot light which, even for the most vigilant will likely miss until it is too late. For road cars, especially Mini with the oil filter housing drain back valve, knowing the oil pressure is infinitely more important than oil temperature. Why? You can infer the oil temperature from the coolant temperature for daily runabout. If you drive in a manner that you need to worry about oil temp, you probably should be arrested for driving dangerously and recklessly.

A:

A: Stop driving right pedal to the metal on public road, or pull over to see if you engine cooling system has gone kaputt.

A: For driving on public road, your oil should never overheat. When it does it is caused by other issues.

A: You don't need an oil cooler for driving on public road, or even for driving on race tracks for most unless you are driving at a very high skill level or in endurance racing. The biggest cause of catastrophic engine failure is loss of oil pressure (oil starvation) and engine overheating because of coolant system failure.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:47 AM
RedAggie03
4th Gear

Finished my install - I used the following sensor:

Old 08-01-2018, 08:31 AM
downshift1
4th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Ditch the Fumoto valve, it ends up leaving all the sludge in the bottom of the pan. I've seen it in the Subies for years.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:05 AM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by downshift1
Ditch the Fumoto valve, it ends up leaving all the sludge in the bottom of the pan. I've seen it in the Subies for years.
I beg to differ and see no evil. Oil sludge is what powers my Mini.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:10 PM
RedAggie03
4th Gear
Originally Posted by downshift1
The pan designs are different as well as how the plug is positioned. I read up on that as well and I found that my Fumotos threads did not extend into the pan and that there would be enough angle to drain the oil well enough. This car is not my daily driver and it's not going to get a ton of miles between oil changes. I doubt I'll be generating any sludge, but I'm sure I'll pull the pan at some point and find out. I think the benefits out weigh the potential issues it might create.