Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Fender Flares

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004 | 02:18 PM
bowhunter8
|
1st Gear
Fender Flares

Has anyone found a simple fender flare, not looking for one of those full body kits just want to replace the top section of the exsiting factory flares.
That way I can add a little wider tire and give it a little wider apperance!

Old 11-08-2004 | 04:25 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
If you're refering to the fender flare arches around the wheel wells, there's a kit that Moss MINI has. I knew I saw it someplace, and I found it. I'm thinking that was the kit that Breyton had on their MINI, with the bully bars. I'm looking at it right now in the Spring Issue 2 catalogue from Moss MINI. It's pretty much a full wrap-around kit including a lower lip around the bottom of the front and rear stock bumpers, and replace the stock wheel arches. They're fiberglass, and will run you $599.95 for the kit, unpainted. The part # is 105-429, but there's only a application for the Cooper. No Cooper'S'?? Look 'em up on the net, maybe they'll have pics of it there, if you don't have the catalogue. Looks pretty slick, without having to overdo it with looks and price of a gawdy body kit.
Cheers,

Old 11-08-2004 | 04:35 PM
bowhunter8
|
1st Gear
Thanks a Million, i will ck them out.. 600 bucks is alot cheaper than the other kits

Old 11-08-2004 | 05:43 PM
jazmini
4th Gear
I like the wide fender flares too. Other sources are:

Pilo Racing (MINI Pilo) has a New Wide Body Kit for $699 plus shipping as of December 27 2003 -- I think this kit fits both MC and MCS. I think the website is www.thepilo.com/images/widebody

Mini Mania for $599.95 (you probably pay shipping too) -- for MC only. Called Extra Wide Fender Flare Kit, part number: NMX2002 and was out in Jan 2003. Their website is: http://www.minimania.com

CTD in Germany has one, which I think is the same as that from Mini Mania, and it is made of urethane for 489 Euro's, is called the Fender Flares Kit Gen II, as of January 4, 2004. It comes with all hardware -- set of 10 pieces. Website is: http://www.ctd-germany.com
and http://www.coopertuning.de/shop_e/index.php

Added Nov 9 2004: Moss MINI (aka Moss Motors) website:
www.mossmini.com

Old 11-09-2004 | 06:31 AM
bowhunter8
|
1st Gear
Jazmini, Thanks for the help.. i tried Pilo and Mini Mania, but was not able to find the parts you listed..

I do like the CTD ones, just wish i could get them in the US... i would like to see a better picture of them...

Thanks again for the info... if you have any more on Pilo or MM please let me know...

MINI-MadMan, Thanks for your help as well, i had to e-mail them the part is not listed on line...
THANKS!!

Old 11-09-2004 | 08:13 AM
bowhunter8
|
1st Gear
Mini-MadMan,

i found the flares on the Moss site... Thanks... they are just like the CTD ones....
that will be my next addition...

Thanks again..

Old 11-09-2004 | 03:36 PM
jazmini
4th Gear
I just got my latest Moss Motors (aka Moss Mini) catalog today, and the fender flares (I have been lusting after) are now on close out -- subject to stock on hand, no backorders -- for $495 (regular price is $579.95). So, I just phoned them and ordered a set. Phone No: 800-895-2471. They said it would take 4-5 business days to arrive at my home. They said if I ordered something else for $5 I could get free shipping, so I ordered a MINI T-shirt too (I have maybe 6 already).

If you want them, you better order fast. It may be that fender flares by themselves are not selling that well, as the above website links that don't work anymore show that they no longer may be selling them. With their popularity on classic Mini's, I would think otherwise -- and I think they are so cool looking. I'm glad to finally be getting them. I was going to wait until next year, but you gotta do what you gotta do! :smile:

Old 11-09-2004 | 04:25 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bowhunter8
Mini-MadMan,

i found the flares on the Moss site... Thanks... they are just like the CTD ones....
that will be my next addition...

Thanks again..

No problem. Glad to be of assistance. Just be sure to post some pics after the install if you get them.
Cheers,

Old 11-10-2004 | 06:25 AM
bowhunter8
|
1st Gear
Jazmini,

THANKS FOR THE INFO... I too wanted to wait till next year... Oh well it is only money... guess i will bite the bullet!!
Post or P/M me yours pictures once you are done... I still need rims to fill them out the way i want.... So it may be even longer for me...

thanks again.. i will order them today...

Old 11-10-2004 | 06:30 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
What size wheels do you plan on putting under there? I wanted the same kit but didnt know how much offset and how wide the wheels would have to be to properly fill it out without spacers...good luck

Old 11-10-2004 | 06:37 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Here are some pics for while you wait

Old 11-10-2004 | 07:43 AM
bowhunter8
|
1st Gear
RallyMINI, based on the pictures it looks as if you have the wells filled out...
What do you have on this one? I love the look!!!
What front spoiler are you running?

I am not sure what size i will go. I do want to use the 8 spoke (S Lite) style rims.. they are 17" (really didn;t wnat that big of a rim)
I do a lot of HWY driving and want a lot of rubber between the rim and ground.
Working on a trade for my 15" hollies..

The Lites are standard with a 48MM offset so i imagine i will have to use a spacer to help get them out...

Old 11-10-2004 | 08:19 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
RallyMini,

Nice pictures. Great look!

What rims/tires are those and what size?
How do they work with your MC (due to the weight of the larger wheel)?

Old 11-10-2004 | 08:38 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Sorry guys...i meant to say, thats not my car. Mine is in my sig

I know that she is actually using spacers but i am unsure of how big they are. The front spoiler is actually A cooper S bumper on her cooper...you will notice that she has the Cooper S side skirts too. I have them installed on mine as well :smile: , it gives a much sleeker smoother look in my opinion.

Sorry for the misunderstanding...if you are interested in more info, she goes by "mini cruiser" over on mini2.com

Old 11-10-2004 | 12:16 PM
bowhunter8
|
1st Gear
Jazmini,

I Just Odered The Kit... Are You Planning To Paint It The Same Color As The Car?

I Have The 03 Silk Green, Can;t Deside If I Will Paint Green Or Black...
Just Wondered You Thoughts

TO ALL I just sent Mini Cruiser a message... i will let you know the outcome regarding the tire and wheel combination

Old 11-10-2004 | 12:59 PM
2005LY
3rd Gear
15"???

I'm diggin' the flared look, but I think it would cost me too much to go with it. I think they would probably look horrible with stock 15" wheels and would need an upgrade... opinions?

Old 11-10-2004 | 03:08 PM
bowhunter8
|
1st Gear
2005LY ,

great question...
We are asking the MINI Cruise ( the yellow one above) what they did...
i have 15" on mine and if i can't get the 17" S lites i am thinking about useing a spacer and some 205/50/15's....
Just my thought.. hard to tell till i get my kit and put it on....

FYI the kits from Moss are being discontinued... get it while they last... this is the cheapest on i have found.. :smile:

Old 11-10-2004 | 06:15 PM
jazmini
4th Gear
Not sure yet how I'll do it all. Still thinking about it. Possibly paint them the color of the car (IB). I'm going to wait to have them installed until I get new wheels and tires. That won't be for awhile. I may wait awhile after installing them to have them painted, but they said they are a grey color, which may not match exactly with the existing bottom trim as it appears blackish or dark grey. The pictures of them look to be about the same color, though, but will have to actually see them to see. I'm thinking of adding something flashy to the current paint job of the car, but again -- I really want to wait awhile on all that.

I am leaning toward painting the roof silver (and getting chrome mirror caps), and with that, am thinking of how to do the rest of the car with accents or something (probably silver -- as it will match well with the IB). So I could even paint the fender flares silver, but am thinking of possibly painting the whole top portion of the car silver and the bottom left IB, or putting a side accent going up the side of the car in silver. I'll have to get my creative juices flowing to really think about it and see other cars to get ideas. I'm not ready for that expense for awhile. Gotta do tires/wheels first.

As for wheels and tires, I was hoping to use 15 inch SSR Comps by 6 and 1/2 inch wide (8.8 lbs), in silver or possibly the two tone using dark center. For tires, I like the 195/55/15 Toyo Proxes T1-S (16.5 lbs) as they are about the lightest performance tires around -- total weight would be about 25.3 lbs, which is 4 lbs lighter than what I have now (15 inch 8 spokes at 15.2 lbs or so with Continental all seasons at 14 lbs or more). Plus some new brake rotors and pads. Probably drilled and slotted rotors, which I think would save maybe 1 lb per wheel (due to the drilling out of the metal). I don't drive that much to worry about how long these rotors may last, i.e., stress cracking under hard use.

This may not be the wide look that would look really cool, but I'll see how it is. This is all still in the planning stages now, and can change. I just love thinking about all this. I think the main thing with the wheels and tires to look the best with the fender flares is having wide tires/wheels versus having taller tires/wheels, as from the side you probably can't tell that you even have wider fender flares, but from the back and front you can, and the taller tires won't be much noticeable, but their width will be.

Hope you have fun with all this. :smile: Great pics Rally!

Old 11-11-2004 | 07:29 AM
bowhunter8
|
1st Gear
jazmini Sounds like your thinking of all the options..
I feel it is going to be hard to tell anything till we install them... I think i will put at least the front on so i can evaluate the tire and wheel situation...

I have a silk green car roof matches... so either black molding or i pant it green.. again once i install one side i think it will be very clear....

good luck with yours!!!

JUST GOT THE INFO ON THE YELLOW MINI ABOVE FORM MINI CRUISER
I have 18x7.5" wheels on 215/35 tyres, spaced 25mm, the car is also lowered 20mm and the back is weight down alot by a heavy ICE install, The inner plastic/metal archs is catching on the tyres, im going to higher the car and look at having the inner archs cut out.

Old 11-11-2004 | 07:41 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
RallyMini,

Nice pictures. Great look!

What rims/tires are those and what size?
How do they work with your MC (due to the weight of the larger wheel)?
they are defenitely kahn rsr 18s, somewhere around 23 lbs, but defenitely looks like DA BOMB!!

i believe the owner is on mini2.. look around the site for a yellow mini one i believe

Old 11-11-2004 | 08:45 AM
bowhunter8
|
1st Gear
kyriian,
look at the bottom of my last post... i have the tire info form MINI CRUISER

Old 11-11-2004 | 12:48 PM
jazmini
4th Gear
Thanks bowhunter8, good luck to you too. I really like your silk green color -- I wanted it, but they discontinued it. I've heard that having the wider fender flares will add some more clearance for tire/wheel choices, but with the problems that MINI Cruiser is having, you still need to check it out. However, MINI Cruiser is lowered, plus have a heavier load in the back, and 18's are quite tall, although 35's are a very low profile, plus the spacers push the tires out to the edges more and are more likely to rub there -- but look better. :smile:

Old 11-11-2004 | 01:39 PM
bowhunter8
|
1st Gear
jazmini, i just did some figuring... MINI Cruiser is running 215/35/18's

that is a tire that is 8.46" wide with 2.96" between the rim and ground, overall height of 23.92... 9 riding on the rim)

So they are smaller than the factory tire ( in height)..
i am looking at 205/60/15.. BFG they are almost the same width and a little taller...( 8.07 w x 4.84 h = overall of 24.5" or go to 65 and have it over 25"
all I should need are spacers to push them out.... Just my thoughts...

I love the silk Green , so did my wife . that is how i got the car... we pulled into the dealer ( she had never seen a cooper) and told me she loved that car.... it was a 03, and i love the fact they don;t make the color ... i like to have something different... Not a ton of solid S/G ones around that i know of...

time will tell .. i will let you know the outcome on the tire;s as soon as i get the kit!

Old 11-12-2004 | 06:17 PM
jazmini
4th Gear
Hey bowhunter8,
Yeah, the MINI colors are unique and fun. Sometimes I wish I'd gotten another color, but I went with my wife's choice too -- and it's just fine.

I would suspect you may have some rubbing using spacers with a 65 series in 205 width, even with fender flares -- but don't know for sure. I think you may be alright with 60 series in 205 width and spacers. You may want to consider 55 series, as it is right at the 24 inch stock diameter (in 205 width), and should still offer a very good ride. I've seen the 55 series and it has a lot of rubber there (height).

Most people with 205's are going with 50 series, which provides even better handling and steering response than the 55 series, and looks even better too. The only reason I'm going with 195/55/15 is the weight is really really really low, two pounds lighter than the 205/50/15, which is an ideal size (in Toyo Proxes T1-S). That two pounds is a lot to me. If weight were not an issue, I'd get something wider and with 50 series. With the fender flares, I've heard we could use 225/15's, but possibly not with spacers -- but with tires that wide we would not need them, as they would look cool and be at the extreme edges of the car.

As you aluded to in your earlier post, wheel offset is extremely important and needs to be considered too. The lower the offset (i.e., 38 versus 48), the more the wheel (and tire too of course) is pushed to the outside of the car (wheel well). Alternatively, the higher the offset (i.e., 48), the more the wheel is pushed to the inside of the car. I understand the places the tire rubs is generally the inside and outside at the top of the wheel well. It may take some trial and error to get the right tire/wheel sizes.

Why do you want to use the 60 or even 65 series? One thing I've seen is the wider the tire using a low series (i.e., 245/40 or so on a Vette), there is more rubber for cushioning than on a narrower tire with the same series, i.e., 195/40 -- which doesn't have much rubber for cushioning -- and it's very noticeable as to it's lack of rubber. So, if you use a wider tire, i.e., 205, you can get away with a fairly low profile (i.e., 50) and still get some decent rubber for cushioning. To me if you're thinking of ride comfort but still want performance, 45 series is a bit low on the MINI (unless performance is your only interest), but 50 is ok, and 55 even better. Not trying to tell you what to do or anything, just suggesting.

Also, just curious about where are you planning on going to have the fender flares put on, or are you going to do it yourself?

I look forward to hearing how it all works out. :smile:

Old 11-12-2004 | 09:33 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bowhunter8
kyriian,
look at the bottom of my last post... i have the tire info form MINI CRUISER
yeah i saw itl.. i actually saw it after i posted...

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Fender Flares