Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior How much to replace lower front air-dam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 05:10 PM
BillyB
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much to replace lower front air-dam?

I figure I'll get this sadly scratched up part replaced when I get bigger tires. I was going to wait even longer, and maybe just never bother, but I was helping to teach a friend how to drive the other day, and... Well, they accidently accelerated, instead of braking, while parking...and so now the lower front air-dam strip is looking a bit worse for wear. *sigh*

Ok, ok, she's a friend's girlfriend, but she is HOT, so I couldn't help offering to help her get her driver's license...by letting her get some practice in with the MINI! (Hey, this car IS supposed to help me get laid, alright?) LOL Actually, she's not a bad driver (though not a great one either!), and the layout of the MINI is a little new for her...for a newbie driver.

Anyway, I'm hoping this part won't cost much to replace. Does anyone know if it is easily installable? It seems like it should be, with the right size socket wrench. She put a microscopic chip in the lower front paint as well (I almost fainted), but I think I can take care of that (and all the other little paint chips to come) with some carefully applied touch-up paint, possibly from...recommendations where from?

Info on this subject would be greatly appreciated, as well as any side comments on letting other people drive one's MINI. :smile: Oh, and sorry, but no pics are going to be posted on this one, of the scratches...OR the girl!

Old 11-14-2004, 05:41 PM
MyPocketRocket
6th Gear
Is this what you're talking about?

I scratch mine one in a while, because of the lower springs. I have been thinking to just cut this whole thing out just like what COOPER has. I don't have picture of the cooper one, but I have seen that the middle section is higher off the ground.

Good luck on your mission. I hope you car still be in good shape after you get your mission done!

Old 11-14-2004, 10:51 PM
BillyB
3rd Gear
Essentially, yes. Looks like you've got an MCS there, so the shape of that part is a touch different. But yeah, that's the part. I expected, as time went by, that the very lowest part of this piece of plastic (tucked under the vehicle a bit, sticking straight down) would always be getting scratched every once and awhile...though I wasn't happy about it. Now, however, it's the black part that faces straight out that's been scratched up pretty good (though I'm still probably the only one that notices! ), just below the paint (and a tiny bit of paint too), so I figure it's a must to replace soon, or I'll start letting my MC go. And, geez, it's WAY too soon for that! (Once you start getting scratches, you start getting that "oh well" state of mind, and I want to avoid that.)

I have to wait until it makes practical sense to buy bigger tires though (I'll get about 1/2 an inch of rise, based on research into the subject), otherwise I think it'd just be a waste of money. Hmmm...does that mean I can REALLY tear up the current piece until that time comes?

Nah, I already cringe every time I scrape that air-dam, even though it's been scraped a dozen times before. I'm just typically "new car ****" in that way. I feel strongly that the better you take care of your car in the short term...the better you take care of it, in the long run, and the better it takes care of you. Know what I mean?

As to the...er..."mission". Hey now, geez, I'm just being a good friend, really. She's hot, but she's also...um...how should I say it..."high maintenence". Those kind of women are not really my type. I like women that keep things real, don't go in for much drama, and are generally pretty cool, and (of course) also pretty...well, PRETTY. (And, also, a bit taller than this sweet gal, as short women tend to *sigh* remind me of my ex-wife.)

Kind of makes you wonder why I got a "short", troublesome car, eh?

Old 11-14-2004, 11:19 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyB
I figure I'll get this sadly scratched up part replaced when I get bigger tires. I was going to wait even longer, and maybe just never bother, but I was helping to teach a friend how to drive the other day, and... Well, they accidently accelerated, instead of braking, while parking...and so now the lower front air-dam strip is looking a bit worse for wear. *sigh*

Ok, ok, she's a friend's girlfriend, but she is HOT, so I couldn't help offering to help her get her driver's license...by letting her get some practice in with the MINI! (Hey, this car IS supposed to help me get laid, alright?) LOL Actually, she's not a bad driver (though not a great one either!), and the layout of the MINI is a little new for her...for a newbie driver.

Anyway, I'm hoping this part won't cost much to replace. Does anyone know if it is easily installable? It seems like it should be, with the right size socket wrench. She put a microscopic chip in the lower front paint as well (I almost fainted), but I think I can take care of that (and all the other little paint chips to come) with some carefully applied touch-up paint, possibly from...recommendations where from?

Info on this subject would be greatly appreciated, as well as any side comments on letting other people drive one's MINI. :smile: Oh, and sorry, but no pics are going to be posted on this one, of the scratches...OR the girl!
BillyB,

Interesting story. Hot girl. Scratches on the lower front bumper valence. Hmmm.

Well, after she gets her license (very large open parking lots are nice) I'd suggest calling Classic Auto campus (NAM sponsor) to ask about the price on getting a replacement black plastic part for that lower front bumper. It can't be that expensive and you can remove the part from the bumper and attach the replacement. The plastic might look a bit new if your other plastic trim is worn by now. Just shine it all up with a good vinyl or plastic treatment product.

High maintenance?

Too bad.
Hey there's nothing wrong with a lack of height!
It's the MINI way!