Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Chromaholic Confession

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004 | 12:48 PM
DoubleNick
|
4th Gear
Chromaholic Confession

Hi, my name is Nick. I am a chromaholic. It started by waiting for the 05 MCS so I could get the interior/exterior chrome package. Looks great on my CR/W with body color dash. The problem intensified when I would view posts/pictures of chrome additions and felt the need to have them. Well in less than 3 months I have added a chrome air scoop, front vents, door pockets, directional and fog lights, chrome license plate holder,stainless boot lip protector. The craving continues. I am about ready to get the rear bumper stainless steel protector as well as chrome pillar covers. I would have already gotten the antenna/windshield washer chrome covers, but they haven't made the antenna base cover for the 05's yet. Geez, I need help. Sorry no pictures. I have no money for a camera. Help! Thanks for letting me share.

Old 11-15-2004 | 12:55 PM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Nick,

Know what would look really cool? How about chroming those x-lite wheels, daddy-o? You are definately a serious modder.

Old 11-15-2004 | 01:15 PM
countrym
6th Gear
Hey Nick!

You're a nut. But you already knew that. I'd love to check out your new chrome pieces sometime. In the meantime, try not to blind any other motorists.

Old 11-15-2004 | 01:20 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Originally Posted by MGCMAN
Nick,

Know what would look really cool? How about chroming those x-lite wheels, daddy-o? You are definately a serious modder.
You can chrome anything you want. Well, not really anything, but most MINI things.

Chrome wheel is possible and I have seen it done aftermarket but it will run several $100 each rim and depending on the quality of chroming and the wear and tear on the wheel it may not last much longer than 2 years before corrosion sets in and the finish starts to deteriorate.

Buying chrome finished wheels adds about 2 pounds weight to each rim and costs more about $100-150 each but it will last longer if you keep it polished. But these are aftermarket rims like those from Centerline which come in chrome finish.

I have Centerline in Polished aluminum finish which is not quite chrome but close. The cost was less and the weight is kept down but the finish will scratch and you still have to keep things clean.

Hey, you could chrome your full dash. But you'd need dark eyeglasses to drive in the daylight.

Old 11-15-2004 | 01:27 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Chroming can hurt.

I have a 65 Mustang convertable. I was quoted $1200 to chrome a 4 point roll-bar due to the size. I'm going with a metalic powder coat for a few hundred...... So, you can chrome anything, but it costs, and costs

Old 11-15-2004 | 02:25 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
There's a gal here in SoCal who bought her PS/B '03 MCS at Brecht MINI in Escondido and it came with chromed s-lites! Looks AWESOME with the Pure Silver!

When "somebody" gets around to taking pix of your chromage, Nick, please post 'em!

Clover

Old 11-15-2004 | 03:06 PM
onasled
Banned
These were the Chrome Wheels on eBay a long while back, CLICK HERE

Old 11-16-2004 | 05:15 AM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
Nick, sorry to feed your illness, but...you've got to add the chrome toggle ring covers...they'll really complement the other chrome trim you've got in there and add lots of shine to the center console area!

Old 11-16-2004 | 05:44 AM
Pir8 97
4th Gear
One word... Bling!

Three words... Borrow a camera

Old 11-16-2004 | 07:25 AM
DoubleNick
|
4th Gear
Thanks, I think, for feeding my addiction. Yikes--believe it or not, I had not seriously considered chrome wheels. Yeow, it rages on. Nick

Old 11-16-2004 | 07:30 AM
countrym
6th Gear
I'll bring my camera next time I see Nick, so I can post some pics of his chromed out S.

Old 11-16-2004 | 08:57 AM
LombardStreet
Originally Posted by DoubleNick
Hi, my name is Nick. I am a chromaholic.
Hi, Nick.

It started by waiting for the 05 MCS so I could get the interior/exterior chrome package. Looks great on my CR/W with body color dash. The problem intensified when I would view posts/pictures of chrome additions and felt the need to have them. Well in less than 3 months I have added a chrome air scoop, front vents, door pockets, directional and fog lights, chrome license plate holder,stainless boot lip protector. The craving continues. I am about ready to get the rear bumper stainless steel protector as well as chrome pillar covers. I would have already gotten the antenna/windshield washer chrome covers, but they haven't made the antenna base cover for the 05's yet. Geez, I need help. Sorry no pictures. I have no money for a camera. Help! Thanks for letting me share.
I was at a Rod & Custom show in St. Louis when I was a kid - probably about 1965 or so - and saw a hot rod - something like a mid-40s Buick maybe? - that was completely chromed. Every single piece of the car that could be chromed, was. The body - the freakin' body! - wheels, dash, engine, suspension, steering wheel, *****, radio - everything! About the only things that weren't chromed were the tires and sparkplug wires and upholstery. But as I recall, even the upholstery was silver naugahyde. Really hurt your eyes to look at that sucker!

But I remember having that eerie feeling of simultaneous release and arousal you get sometimes when you're challenged by great, rule-bending art - Rauschenberg or Cage or Mapplethorpe. "Wow - somebody finally went all the way! Finally, it's been done. Now we can stop worrying about that and get back to what we were doing."

I haven't chromed anything in 34 years...

Old 11-16-2004 | 01:20 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Here's a link to a chromed BMW

[size=2]http://www.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=3582

[/size]

Old 11-20-2004 | 11:17 PM
jmoser
4th Gear
Nick, I share your enthusiasm for the splenda, if not your tenacity...

My current chrome cravings are for a hood scoop--where'd you get yours, and how do you like it? (Yep, I'm hoping to hear you got the inexpensive one and it looks just like wonderchrome....)

Old 11-20-2004 | 11:43 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by LombardStreet
Hi, Nick.

I was at a Rod & Custom show in St. Louis when I was a kid - probably about 1965 or so - and saw a hot rod - something like a mid-40s Buick maybe? - that was completely chromed. Every single piece of the car that could be chromed, was. The body - the freakin' body! - wheels, dash, engine, suspension, steering wheel, *****, radio - everything! About the only things that weren't chromed were the tires and sparkplug wires and upholstery. But as I recall, even the upholstery was silver naugahyde. Really hurt your eyes to look at that sucker!

But I remember having that eerie feeling of simultaneous release and arousal you get sometimes when you're challenged by great, rule-bending art - Rauschenberg or Cage or Mapplethorpe. "Wow - somebody finally went all the way! Finally, it's been done. Now we can stop worrying about that and get back to what we were doing."

I haven't chromed anything in 34 years...
:smile: Oh, my! When you mentioned "great, rule-bending art - Rauschenberg or Cage or Mapplethorpe," you won me over. I am STOKED!

*flinging kisses your way*

Clover

Old 11-21-2004 | 09:45 AM
LombardStreet
Originally Posted by MINIclo
:smile: Oh, my! When you mentioned "great, rule-bending art - Rauschenberg or Cage or Mapplethorpe," you won me over. I am STOKED!

*flinging kisses your way*

Clover

*** blush! ***

Glad my wife doesn't read this board!

Old 11-21-2004 | 09:49 PM
ylwjkt
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jmoser

My current chrome cravings are for a hood scoop--where'd you get yours, and how do you like it? (Yep, I'm hoping to hear you got the inexpensive one and it looks just like wonderchrome....)
Excuse me for jumping in...but I too am a chromaholic. I am glad others are out there. I did purchase the chrome scoop from Moss that fits over the exsisting scoop and have been quite pleased. Looks great-do not be afraid.:smile: