Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Door locked !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004 | 10:56 PM
ktpang
|
1st Gear
Door locked !!

Hi guys,

Have any of you guys face the problem with the passenger door still lock on when manually using the key to unlock?The driver's door unlock but not the passenger door.So I have to use either the manual switch at the center console or pulling the door handle twice.

But if I use the key with the immobilizer to lock and unlock the car,all the both doors work fine except with the use of key.There's no movement at the door lock stem of the passenger door whenever the key is unlocking the doors.

I hope you guys can understand the problem which I'm trying hard to describe over here.

Thankyou.

Peter.

Old 12-02-2004 | 11:20 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
Peter, you need to have your dealer programmable options changed. "Opening and closing from outside" needs to be disabled if you want one key turn to unlock all doors. If you turn the key in the door towards unlock twice, I bet your passenger door will unlock.

If the doors are locked when you are in the car, I think the only way to open them with the handle is with 2 pulls.

The list of options is here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...+me+home+lamps

Old 12-03-2004 | 12:01 AM
ktpang
|
1st Gear
Hi Early_apex,

Thanks for your reply.I do understand that the key lock can be programmable to our likings as you describe but my problem is a bit weird.Let me describe the problem more detail.

The problem just started since last 2 weeks.There no such problem since the first day I got the car.Last week I noticed it started with just halfway up then now totally no movement at all for the passenger door lock whenever I used the manual key mothod to unlock it.

Should I use the immobilizer to lock and unlock the doors,it worked fine.I can use the key manually to lock the both doors but not unlocking just for the passenger door.

I can't figure out what might cause this problem.

All the while it's ok and in a sudden it turns out this way.When I tried to unlock the doors with the manual key last week,the passenger door lock only move halfway upward.So I tried to see if any thing that might jammed the movement of the lock stem,but everything seems ok.And yesterday till today there is no movement at all when I unlock it.

But once it's fully unlock after tapping the door lock switch at the center console or by pressing the immobilizer,it can move fully downward to lock position when the manual key is used to lock.

So far since the day I took my car,I'm yet to open the door panel.Can it be any part of the door locking mechanism in the passenger door side loose or discontact?

Thankyou.

Peter.

Old 12-03-2004 | 06:47 AM
TulsaMINI
3rd Gear
I only have a door keyhole on the driver's side. Do Malaysian cars have keyholes on both sides? Interesting...

Old 12-03-2004 | 07:59 AM
elbee
2nd Gear
My drivers door unlocks when I puch the button on the key once. If you push it a second time it is supposed to unlocn the passenger door and the trunk but it rarely works. If i push it 3 or 4 times it will usually unlock the other door. And I've noticed if I push the hey button about 5 or 6 times that it will vent the sunroof and windows a few inches. Yes, I know if you hold down the key button it till open the windows and sunroof. I think the transmitter in the key is weak so it doesn't always receive the right signal to the car.

I hope this helps.

Old 12-03-2004 | 08:13 AM
Pebblecrusher
4th Gear
Concerning having to push the remote button 3-4 times to unlock the passenger door... I've seen that. Usually I wait 2 seconds after pushing the button once (to unlock the driver door) before pushing it again to unlock the rest.

Old 12-03-2004 | 09:17 PM
ktpang
|
1st Gear
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your helps and I'm much appreciate towards it.

But to get it right here is that the problem just start happening somewhere 2 weeks ago.There's no such problem occur since the day i took my car in May'04.

I normally use the key manually to open the doors.So as normal there's only one keyhole at driver's door which I manually turn the key to unlock the doors.But now instead of 2 doors unlock at the same time,it only unlock the driver's door not together with the passenger door.

Previously before this problem arises,the doors will unlock together once the manual key unlocking method is used.

There's no such problem if I'm using the remote key to lock and unlock the doors.It only happen if i manually use the key to unlock the doors.

Thanks.

Peter.

Old 12-04-2004 | 06:12 AM
JoeDentist
4th Gear
When it comes to locks, there are two major components - electrical and mechanical. First thing to do is get a good automotive or Marine lock lubricating spray and make sure that all the lock components are well lubricated. Lock parts are supposed to slide against each other, and if there is grit or debris in there, it will not happen.

As for the electrical, make sure all contacts are clean and grease free and that the battery in the car and in the remote key are good. Models prior to 2005 have a battery in the key that wears out. If you only have one master key, or use one all the time, it may be time to replace the battery. 2005 models have a battery that charges from the ignition slot, and would be too new to have failed anyway.

Old 12-04-2004 | 07:34 PM
ktpang
|
1st Gear
Hi JoeDentist,

Thanks for your techincal info.I will get it check out on the mechanical of the door lock as my remote key is functioning ok so doed the battery.

Thanks.

Peter.