Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior I Am......The Chrome Hater

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004 | 04:17 PM
mcowger
|
2nd Gear
I Am......The Chrome Hater

Really, I am. I detest chrome with every part of me. I am the anti-bling. My coming MCS has pretty much as little chrome as I can get, and I plan to replace as much as possible of the chrome that remains (even down to powder coating toggle switches if I must).

There is one part that I would like to get rid of the most, that I have not seen a replacement for. Has anybody? I want a non-chrome fuel cap. I really want one painted to match my body (HB), though black to match my roof would be OK.

Anyone? Bueller?

Old 12-13-2004 | 04:24 PM
TWISTER
6th Gear
So take it off and have it powder coated also.

Old 12-13-2004 | 04:28 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
as long as you don't replace the chrome with carbon ricer, you should be fine

BTW, post pics after you've dechromed the remaining pieces, I'd like to see how it looks, especially if you decide to paint the band that runs around the green-house of the cabin.

Old 12-13-2004 | 04:30 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
I am also part of the chrome hater club! If i get the chance i'll be painting alot of the exterior chrome thats left over. Hopefully i can have them painted with a black laquer to give everything a "black chrome" look.

The hardest part to replace or paint would be that chrome trim that goes along the bottom of the windows.....

Old 12-13-2004 | 04:47 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Hey I have a body-colored painted fuel cap....door!!!
You wouldn't like my grill though.

So don't be a hater.....be a chrome trim modificator!!! (j/k...it certainly can be overdone...some of the aftermarket chrome bits (mostly exterior) give me the creeps!! )

Old 12-13-2004 | 04:49 PM
mini giant
4th Gear
i too am going to try to make as much as the chrome i can black, especially since my car is white, i think it will look really good. yay for no chrome!

Old 12-13-2004 | 04:49 PM
KiLO
6th Gear
Yeah, you could just go get a Cooper fuel door... Probably wouldn't be too much, and it would match perfectly. I think a lot of the chrome pieces on the MINI's are actually plastic, so powder coating isn't an option.

Old 12-13-2004 | 05:24 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by mcowger
Really, I am. I detest chrome with every part of me. I am the anti-bling. My coming MCS has pretty much as little chrome as I can get, and I plan to replace as much as possible of the chrome that remains (even down to powder coating toggle switches if I must).

There is one part that I would like to get rid of the most, that I have not seen a replacement for. Has anybody? I want a non-chrome fuel cap. I really want one painted to match my body (HB), though black to match my roof would be OK.

Anyone? Bueller?
I agree with your sentiment somewhat. However, chrome does has it's place in "classic" sport cars. Mini has applied it with proportional correctness to retain it's historical lineage. I've thought about dechroming too. That said, do you have images of your "dechromed" Mini?

Old 12-13-2004 | 06:52 PM
JCampos
6th Gear
Probably not much help to you but it will be to people in the CA bay area... Jacques at Bay Bridge Motors in Oakland paints EVERYTHING (gas cap, headlight trim, door handles, and that chrome strip of trim around the car) black for I THINK $800. Really high quality stuff, he pulls everything off of the car to do it.

Old 12-13-2004 | 06:59 PM
mcowger
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
I agree with your sentiment somewhat. However, chrome does has it's place in "classic" sport cars. Mini has applied it with proportional correctness to retain it's historical lineage. I've thought about dechroming too. That said, do you have images of your "dechromed" Mini?
I dont own a Mini yet - due to be built on the 20th and then delivered to Classic in OH. After that I will begin the dechroming process.

I guess for me the historical lineage means nothing. I wasn't alive when those cars were built/popular, and so they hold no pull for me. I bought my Mini for a fast, small car, not because its called a MINI.

Old 12-13-2004 | 07:01 PM
mcowger
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JCampos
Probably not much help to you but it will be to people in the CA bay area... Jacques at Bay Bridge Motors in Oakland paints EVERYTHING (gas cap, headlight trim, door handles, and that chrome strip of trim around the car) black for I THINK $800. Really high quality stuff, he pulls everything off of the car to do it.
Actually, I am moving to SF this weekend (), so it is QUITE a possibility.

Old 12-13-2004 | 07:02 PM
JCampos
6th Gear
OH THATS RIGHT! I forgot! Let us know when you wanna go for some fun driving through the hills

Old 12-13-2004 | 07:10 PM
Jimbo
5th Gear
I am also not a fan of chrome and am always on the lookout for photos with MINIs sans chrome..here is a photo from the member galleries that shows a MINI with as little chrome as I have seen.

Except for the handles, gas cap and lower window trim you can get a feel for the no chrome look.

Old 12-13-2004 | 07:41 PM
Jimbo
5th Gear
If you hate chrome....

your not going to like this....

Old 12-13-2004 | 07:44 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
I am a reformed chrome hater...LOL...as you can see I accually took alot of the chrome off my mini...like the side vents and the grilles...etc...but them found my self adding it to little things....like the toe hooks are chromed now...and the ringson hte inside...just a little bling here and htere....now I like it...but only as an accent...wierd...but still I understand

I'll have to post some new shots at some point

Old 12-13-2004 | 08:12 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Dang, those MINIs look great even w/o chrome!!! Whoda thunk it!!! Perhaps I too shall one day become an understudy of................The Chrome Hater.

Old 12-13-2004 | 10:04 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mcowger
There is one part that I would like to get rid of the most, that I have not seen a replacement for. Has anybody? I want a non-chrome fuel cap.
Anyone? Bueller?
Sport Compact Car dechromed their project MINI including the gas cap. Details here:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/pr.../0307scc_mini/

Old 12-13-2004 | 10:06 PM
Samtrak
4th Gear
posting pics of my ride without telling me are you?

well at least use a current photo:smile:

now with 50% less chrome!

i plan on getting rid of the rest as well....

goodbye ugly body line
(note: the 1/4" black electrical tape trick dont work too well.)
goodbye chrome handles
goodbye gas cap
goodbye headlights

then there is my new favorite.... took this aboard the aircraft carrier MIDWAY in downtown San Deigo.

Old 12-13-2004 | 10:27 PM
keikilee
5th Gear
i'm also a hater....i've been going back and forth for over a year now about whether or not to paint my door handles, powdercoat my wheels, etc. But haven't done it yet. So far, all I've done is installed aero grilles! One day I'll stop talking and send my parts to paint! Yah, one day...

Old 12-13-2004 | 11:48 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Sam (drdrumanbass) has great craftsmanship skills

Since we have been talking about the gas cap a lot on here...i plan on getting a cooper door and shaving down the little finger hole and welding it so its all nice and smooth

Old 12-14-2004 | 02:32 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
I especially hate all those (expensive!) interior chrome accent pieces ,like for EVERYTHING! My wife had a VW passat a while back and the huge VW insignia in the middle of the steering wheel used to catch any and all sunlight and blind you .I haven't been so moved to actually de- chrome the car as of yet, but based on some of these photos, I may start soon!

Old 12-14-2004 | 06:08 AM
Pir8 97
4th Gear
Old 12-14-2004 | 06:47 AM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
The painted chrome around the headlights looks cheap, just my humble opinion.

Old 12-14-2004 | 07:03 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Drdrumanbass, I love the painted headlamp bezels. I've been meaning to do that too. What was the process involved? Thanks

This should have been in the NAM calendar

Old 12-14-2004 | 07:51 AM
KiLO
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
This should have been in the NAM calendar
There were a lot of things that should have been in the NAM calendar :D

Just my .02

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior I Am......The Chrome Hater