Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Recommendations please

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 02:54 PM
wedge
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendations please

I am interested in doing something unique to the paint job on the exterior of my 2002 MINI Cooper. No flames, but something along those lines. How does one proceed? I basically want someone to "Pimp my Ride". How do you find someone to do this? I am in the Cleveland, Ohio area?

What would I look under in the phone book to get started?

Old 12-19-2004, 04:18 PM
DevilMini
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ideas..

if I was you I'd call some local body shops and ask if they do custom work. some do some don't. If they don't I'll be willing to bet that they can put you in touch with someone that does. The best shops are the ones that work on rods. You might want to call Mallet cars over in Berea and ask for a lead or too. Chuck Mallet has been racing vettes for years, I'd bet he knows a few good painters. BTW be prepaired with ideas and cash. What your asking for will not be cheap. As a former body shop owner I can attest that you'll be paying A LOT... Think 1-10k+ depending on quality, colors and time/labor. Remember when searching out a customizer, make sure you see their work and check references!!

Hope this helps,
DevilMini

Old 12-19-2004, 04:32 PM
wedge
3rd Gear
Roman Chariot

Have you ever heard of Roman Chariot in Cleveland? Do they do this sort of work?

Old 12-19-2004, 04:57 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of our local owners did a full graphic wrap on his LY MCS, you know, like they do on buses. It...is...awesome!!! Very complex graphic...very over-the-top...very cheeky yet classy.

Old 12-19-2004, 05:19 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by wedge
I am interested in doing something unique to the paint job on the exterior of my 2002 MINI Cooper. No flames, but something along those lines. How does one proceed? I basically want someone to "Pimp my Ride". How do you find someone to do this? I am in the Cleveland, Ohio area?

You can call tuner shops in your area and ask about custom auto paint shops.
Most paint shops have pictures of past jobs. Your ideas would be helpful. You can get some ideas from car shows or from watching shows like Overhaulin
(Foose designs rock!)
http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/ov...oto/photo.html

Some ideas-
-A custom color will be quite different.
-Multi tone or two tone color scheme would be an option
-Metallic paint costs more
-You can add the MINI aero kit in parts to the front or rear bumper and side aero skirts before painting. You get a more aggressive look from the aerokit.
-Just painting the bumper lower trim, wheel arches, side skirts, roof and mirror covers the same contrasting color would be easy and look good.
-You can paint in the rally stripes for more durability.

Old 12-20-2004, 09:19 AM
Pir8 97
4th Gear
Try contacting Phil at Grafik Dezine (GD-MINI) http://www.grafikdezine.com. He does vinyl but I'm sure he'll hook you up with a great design. He's had his MINI in the SEMA show and he designed the flames I have on my car (see my sig).

If you'll send me a pic of your car I'll photoshop some stuff I'm sure a good shop can duplicate.

Old 12-20-2004, 09:22 AM
countrym
6th Gear
As you may have noticed already, the first thing you'll have to do is choose between paint or vinyl graphics. Paint is permanent and expensive, but generally looks better when completed. Vinyl graphics will be cheaper, but won't last as long as paint.

Just something to think about.

Old 12-20-2004, 10:12 AM
10851CS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by wedge

My friend in Elyria, OH said call Jerry's House of Color in Elyria at 440-458-6886 and Tell him Frank Meier said to call him. Jerry has been in business since 1957 doing street rods. Frank said Jerry Roman is into a different area (he called him a bolt on trinket guy) so see what Jerry Roman has to offer then check out Jerry's House of color. I'll pm you with Frank Meier's phone number if you want to ask any question.

Earl

Old 12-20-2004, 11:46 AM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
I suggest doing a wrap instead, like on buses etc, it looks good and you can change whenever.

Old 12-20-2004, 01:15 PM
DevilMini
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would agree 100% with the recomendation to call Jerry's House of color. I know Jerry but not well enough to give you his number with my name. He does top notch work. this would be a good time of year for custom paint work too. Usually the rod guys wait until spring to paint. Good luck and let us all know what you end up doing. Another good referral source would be D&S Color in Cleveland.

A work about Roman Chariot. Chariot is fantastic at aftermarket roofs and moons, and other "bolt on trinkets". He'd even be a good choice for vinyl application. We used to send our moon work to him. (thanks 1081cs for allowing me to quote you)

Devilmini