Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior SILBLADES Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 09:14 PM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
SILBLADES Question

I have had my silblades for several months now and I am still getting a huge glob of sh!# right in the middle of the windshield from where the inside 4" of the wiper doesn't even contact the glass.

I contacted the company for a replacement blade which they promptly sent to me no questions asked.

But even after the replacement I am still having the same problem.

I have heard that the silblades can take a while to break in but this seems ridiculous. It is so bad now that I will avoid using the wipers at all costs becsause the glob in the middle is worse than a grimey windshield.

Should I give it more time or should I get my money back and go back to rubber?

Sean

Old 02-01-2005, 09:18 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get your money back. The Silblades don't last the five years that they are supposedly guaranteed for. I've had mine on for 18 months or so, and they're already as bad as the stock ones. If I could find my receipt, I'd be getting my money back. Some people have the problem that you're mentioning, and some don't which is weird, but either way the blades are overrated and overpriced.

Old 02-01-2005, 09:24 PM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah if the reciept becomes an issue I might just have to eat the cost.

Old 02-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am on my second set of sillblades. The first had similar problems and the fake carbon fiber stuff started peeling off.

They were very nice and sent me a new set of black ones immediately. The new ones are better and contact the whole windshield, but I can't say that they remove water any better than anything else.

Even though they are supposed to last 5 years, you still need to clean gunk off of them if you want a streak free wipe. Try some rubbing alcohol, but that wont make the blade touch the windshield if it isnt already.

I did NOT need my receipt. They had my info in their computer if you bought directly from sillblade.

Old 02-02-2005, 08:54 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
Even though they are supposed to last 5 years, you still need to clean gunk off of them if you want a streak free wipe. Try some rubbing alcohol, but that wont make the blade touch the windshield if it isnt already.

I did NOT need my receipt. They had my info in their computer if you bought directly from sillblade.
Thanks! Both very good pieces of information. :smile:

Old 02-02-2005, 08:58 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, and I forgot to mention that my first set had one blade whose tip did not touch the windshield completely.

A little gentle bending and I was able to get it to scrub the whole length of the blade.

With my other vehicle (Land Rover Defender 90), I have discovered that the most effective way to ensure great wiper performance is to buy the absolute CHEAPEST generic blades and change them whenever I have the urge. Of course, this vehicle takes an odd and very small 13" blade, but those blades cost about $3-4 at your local discount auto parts shop or super store.