Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Give me a brake

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 05:27 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Give me a brake

I visited Peter of MyMini and purchased a simple little wiring kit w/ EXCELLENT how to instructions which enables the use of the upper rear fog lights in the rear tail lights when you brake. Took 15 minutes and WOW does the back light up when you hit the brakes.

Worth the big $12 expenditure. Top notch instructions - thank you Peter.

Old 03-02-2005, 06:41 PM
addamaniac
4th Gear
I typed in www.mymini.com nothing, which site(URL) are you taking about?

Old 03-02-2005, 09:08 PM
namwob
5th Gear
[QUOTE=Bahamabart]I visited Peter of MyMini and purchased a simple little wiring kit w/ EXCELLENT how to instructions which enables the use of the upper rear fog lights in the rear tail lights when you brake. Took 15 minutes and WOW does the back light up when you hit the brakes.

Worth the big $12 expenditure. Top notch instructions - thank you Peter.[/QUOTE
personally I think Peter should be SPANKED for selling you a $12 "kit". Do a search For "brake light mod" Zero $ Only takes about 1 min. If you have the rear fog lights that come on with the fronts, then all you would need are 2 inexpensive diodes to use instead of wire or paperclips. One of my favorite modds + its "FREE" The newer tail lights with back-up light probably still have the same color coding.

Old 03-03-2005, 04:37 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Sorry the site is - www.myminiparts.com

This enhancement is not rocket science and if one has the time to run around to research, purchase diodes, wires and connectors then you can save yourself the $12.

BUT for me it was well worth it from a time perspective :smile: -

1) Good instructions with color pictures - step by step - no doubts along the way.
2) diodes incorporated into the wires and shrink wrapped 3) self tapping connectors (just squeeze with pliers).
4) ends marked to get the diode going in the right direction.

By the time you calculate the radio shack items plus fabrication at min. wage - I bet you are over this wopping $12 investment.

Time IS Money!

Old 03-03-2005, 05:04 AM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
AND MONEY IS TIME!

Old 03-03-2005, 07:43 AM
ahamos
Coordinator :: River City Minis
Originally Posted by Bahamabart
By the time you calculate the radio shack items plus fabrication at min. wage - I bet you are over this wopping $12 investment.
Oh, come now: fabrication doesn't count to the end-consumer.

I did the mod for $1.51 after tax. I guess I was lucky to already have pliers, electrical tape, and a gel-pen...

I would, however, have paid $12 if there had been an intermediate connector between the tail-light ***'y and the actual car wiring. Jamming diodes into the back-sides of sockets doesn't make me as happy as fabricated parts. Somehow I always fear a fire, even though I do trust my skills for such a simple task.

Man, is this a great mod, or what? I really think this is an important one, too, as SUV's get larger and larger, and I feel like my little "postage-stamp on the road" needs as much safety as she can get.

Old 03-04-2005, 10:39 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Thats just it

The diodes were incorprated into the wires and then covered with plastic heat shrink. Both ends had self taping wire ends that you simply squeezed with pliers - SO I thought it was wel worth the $.

I very much agree with you that it is a must have - anything that keeps a hummer out if my exhaust pipes is a good thing.

Old 03-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Hooligan620
1st Gear
I just installed the brake light kit from myminiparts.com, WOW! The wiring could not have been easier, they even included a circuit tester! The cheesy plastic plug popped right out and the neww lamp snapped in place. The directions were top notch. I'd recommend this mod to everyone!

Steve A.
Ballard WA