Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior $$$ for painting trim/arches?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 09:27 AM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$$$ for painting trim/arches?

I was just wondering what everyone has paid for painting the wheel arches, bumper trim, and side skirts. Let me re-phrase - what should I pay for a quality job?

A reputable local body shop quoted me a price of $850 for prepping and painting everything (just painting, no removal/installation) which sounds very high to me. I have the parts and would deliver them to the shop. The color would be gloss black so no color matching necessary and of course this is a non-metallic color.

Old 03-03-2005, 09:51 AM
addamaniac
4th Gear
my repaint was a very cheap job to begin with, so i really cant tell you how much to expect. One thing you could do to decrease that cost is to sand/prime them yourself. You really cant screw up the priming process, unless your REALLY bad Sanding these bad boys is by far, the hardest part of the job. if you had them all off the car, sanded, primed, and ready for spray, the job would be fairly simple and you could them haggle from there. As for how much it should cost, again, i have no good estimate. any body shop could give you an estimate.

SHOP AROUND, and let me know how much your looking at, im interested.

Old 03-03-2005, 10:16 AM
NYMINIME
3rd Gear
paint and install

I recently had a complete factory aerokit and complete wheel arches painted and installed for $875 here on Long Island, NY. I must say the job came out very satisfactory and the MCS looks a lot cleaner with the wheel arches painted to match the body. I say go shop around a bit but most important quality of work counts a lot instead of trying to save a few bucks. Good luck!

Old 03-03-2005, 10:35 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
[QUOTE=One thing you could do to decrease that cost is to sand/prime them yourself. You really cant screw up the priming process, unless your REALLY bad Sanding these bad boys is by far, the hardest part of the job. [/QUOTE]
I disagree! Surface prep is critical to finished apearance and in my experience is almost always screwed up by amateurs. shooting the paint is the easy part.

You can save some money by doing some prep yourself but you either need to be in contact with who is going to do the painting and prep them just right.
But, A real pro leaves nothing to chance, he will redo any work not done by his hands, Quality appearance is his job and livelyhood, he will not leave that in someone elses hands.

Old 03-03-2005, 11:03 AM
addamaniac
4th Gear
Maybe, im not a painter at all, so i guess i wouldnt know. The only reason I say that is because I sanded and primed mine, my first auto body sand/prime job ever and they turned out great.

Old 03-03-2005, 11:39 AM
regalic
2nd Gear
I wish I could get a quote for $850. Out here in Hawaii I was quoted $1200 for removal, paint, and install.

Old 03-03-2005, 11:46 AM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by minicoopermike
I was just wondering what everyone has paid for painting the wheel arches, bumper trim, and side skirts. Let me re-phrase - what should I pay for a quality job?

A reputable local body shop quoted me a price of $850 for prepping and painting everything (just painting, no removal/installation) which sounds very high to me. I have the parts and would deliver them to the shop. The color would be gloss black so no color matching necessary and of course this is a non-metallic color.
Not sure of what it costs to paint arches but you buy the side skirts prepainted. It costs somewhere around $250 a side.

Old 03-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Minirox
3rd Gear
The price is about the going rate 800 to 1,000. To do it right the prep is the most important part.

Old 03-03-2005, 06:10 PM
nocivic
2nd Gear
minicoopermike.

I just moved from Yorktown, VA. down to FL. I had a place in Newport News VA. paint my body kit and arches. I was only charged $500 and the job is outstanding. If you need the name of the place just PM me.

Attached Thumbnails $$$ for painting trim/arches?-11.jpg  
Old 03-03-2005, 09:24 PM
Electric_S
2nd Gear
Does anybody know how much I will pay to get the trim painted to match my metalic electric blue? Probably more than I can afford right now. I just think it looks so much better than having just black trim all the way around the thing...

Old 03-04-2005, 03:42 AM
BaldBikerGuy
Banned
$1100 for removal, prep, paint, reinsall

I could not have asked for a better job, matches my factory paint exactly.

One more note, I also had both front and rear grills painted and lower lips on both bumpers.

Old 03-05-2005, 03:03 AM
Mugami
Coordinator :: River City Minis
Mike got a response from Percision body.. its around 500.00 to do the trim. With the POS car also broke down im not going to beable to afford it at this time. so im keeping the stock color

Old 03-05-2005, 07:15 AM
Boost Emperor
Banned
I paid $500 for the all the arches and side rails to be prepped and painted. They do most of the dealer's cars, so their work is really awesome. I had to reomove and install everything myself though. The difficult part is the removal, not the prep and paint. Those numbers seem very expensive. You are better off buying a new arch kit and mailing to my bodyshop who does my work..

Old 03-05-2005, 06:15 PM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
Where are you located? I have a new set of arches and bumper trim sitting in my living room, still in the boxes.

Old 03-26-2005, 04:37 PM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
BIG thanks to 'nocivic' (thanks John!) for the body shop recommendation. I picked up my gloss black trim pieces last night! The final cost of the painting was less than $400 which included flex agent, primer, other agents , paint (2 layers), and clearcoat (2 layers). I am very happy and can't wait to get them on the car, although I think I am going to look into adding the 3M clear guard stuff on certain pieces to keep the finish scratch-free. One more trip as I could only fit 11 of 14 pieces, so I need to go back and get the other side skirt and 2 bumper trim pieces. Here are some photos:

Last edited by minicoopermike; 12-07-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:42 PM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
BTW, for anyone who might be interested I was able to walk up to my local dealer's service department and obtain a FREE set of 2005 MCS side skirts! Apparently they send the bumpers back to MINI when they swap out the regular parts for the aero kit but they don't really do anything with the skirts. I found a use for them .

The side skirts will receive the JCW sills (like on my car now) next month :smile:.

Two more photos:

Last edited by minicoopermike; 12-07-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Those look amazing....what color car are they going on?

Old 03-26-2005, 04:59 PM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
Pure Silver!

Old 03-26-2005, 05:31 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
classy I wanna see pics asap

Old 03-27-2005, 02:24 AM
BriNYU
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by nocivic
minicoopermike.

I just moved from Yorktown, VA. down to FL. I had a place in Newport News VA. paint my body kit and arches. I was only charged $500 and the job is outstanding. If you need the name of the place just PM me.
I must say, your MINI looks amazing, best application of the Orciari Kit that I've seen thus far.

Old 03-27-2005, 02:54 AM
AC_MINI
5th Gear
[QUOTE=minicoopermike]The final cost of the painting was less than $400 which included flex agent, primer, other agents , paint (2 layers), and clearcoat (2 layers).QUOTE]

Question minicoopermike:
Now where is this paint shop located? (LA area?):smile:

Old 03-27-2005, 09:31 AM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
LOL, here in good 'ol Virginia :smile:

Old 04-23-2005, 06:19 PM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
I'm getting ever closer to installing all of the parts - just adding 3M clear guard now to the side skirts (one done tonight) and a few other pieces :smile:.

I had a 2nd paint shop add a Pure Silver inlay to each of the side skirts (stock MCS) so they look kinda like the aero skirts . They were supposed to leave the tops black around the sill plate but I'll be adding the JCW sills later anyway so it's all good . Here are some pics of my gloss black and Pure Silver side skirts:

Last edited by minicoopermike; 12-07-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:43 PM
Hammer
4th Gear
Very sharp!

Old 04-23-2005, 07:29 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some very nice work here. That Orciari kit looks fantastic! Can't wait to see pics of the PS trim installed. I have to admit.....mod-curmudgeon that I am...that is one mod that is way up on my list to do someday. Excellent work all!!

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior $$$ for painting trim/arches?