Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Confused by all the armrests out there

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused by all the armrests out there

There are so many aftermarket armrests, I can't keep track of them . Is there a MINI armrest that doesn't involve screws or bolts to be installed? I would be interested in one that just slides in and uses velcro or whatever, as long as it doesn't involve drilling any holes. If there is one, can you post a picture of it or post a link to a vendor with a picture of it? Also, how does it install exactly? Thank you! :smile:

Old 03-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
I just got this one: http://www.stratmosphere.com/mini_interior.htm

It is the ONLY armrest that looks like it belongs on the MINI and doesn't take any tools to install. You pop off the two dust caps from the front of the handbrake cowl and the two legs go into the holes. The back fits perfectly into the rear cup holder and you are done. It is very sturdy and works well. No storage, but who cares - it's a MINI, not a SUV

Old 03-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
That looks great; very attractive....and no drilling! :smile: But it says it doesn't fit 2005 MINI's, which is what I have. Do you know if they've made one for the '05's?

Old 03-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
I am not sure. I will have to take a look at the '05s.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:46 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I like my Elbow Landing Device that I bought from TVA (gotmini)...looks good, a snap to install, sturdy, and doesn't eliminate the rear cupholder....and is the least costly

Old 03-08-2005, 03:04 AM
Paul!
6th Gear
The new MINI armrest should be coming out this month, according to a couple of parts guys at various dealerships. There's more about it here. It will certainly be retrofittable for '05s and almost certainly for previous model years.

-Paul!

Old 03-08-2005, 05:46 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't like the look of the ELD at ALL. I'm waiting for the new OEM armrest to come in.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:06 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by umberto
I like my Elbow Landing Device that I bought from TVA (gotmini)...looks good, a snap to install, sturdy, and doesn't eliminate the rear cupholder....and is the least costly
Can you tell me exactly how the 'Elbow Landing Device' installs? Does it get in the way of the emergency brake at all?

Without question, the official MINI armrest is more attractive, but it is costly and you do have to drill holes. I like something that can be taken out easily and put back in (for example, used by a driver who likes it and removed for another driver who doesn't).

Old 03-10-2005, 01:15 AM
Flip
2nd Gear
I got this one from Moss, I think it was a close-out.

It was a bear to install, but only because I was'nt happy with their method, it eliminated the rear cup holder.

I had to rebend the back bracket, remount it to the arm rest & repaint it silver, drill holes & counter sink them (5 vrs. their 3), make & paint a front bracket.

Very involved, more than I bargined for!

However, I am very pleased with the results. It has storage space and the lid slides forward to open, effectively making the armrest some-what adjustable for shorter armed drivers. Meaning I or anyother can rest their elbow and still grasp the bottom of the sterring wheel. It is also wide enough for 2 elbows (driver-passenger) to occupy at the same time.

Attached Thumbnails Confused by all the armrests out there-mini-arm-rest-opened-.jpg   Confused by all the armrests out there-mini-arm-rest-front-.jpg   Confused by all the armrests out there-mini-arm-rest-back-.jpg  
Old 03-10-2005, 02:42 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
That looks really good, but there's no way I'd get so involved in installing an armrest :smile: . Actually, I don't really think I need one....I just like buying things for my MINI

Old 03-10-2005, 03:16 PM
kevin44
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Paul!
The new MINI armrest should be coming out this month, according to a couple of parts guys at various dealerships. There's more about it here. It will certainly be retrofittable for '05s and almost certainly for previous model years.

-Paul!
i just ordered this one today. $195. i just hope it works and is easy to install.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Sticky Wicket
4th Gear
What vendor is TVA?

Old 03-11-2005, 06:37 PM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I got my Elbow Landing Device from TVA....which is formerly, or vice versa, www.gotmini.com I think it looks great and looks like it belongs as part of the MINI.....really a snap ( literally) to install....the two metal brackets just get pressed in under the console on each side and then two bolts go through the top of each bracket into the armrest and you're done....when I first opened the package, I wasn't sure how sturdy it would be but it is plenty sturdy and looks well made and to me looks OEM

someone asked if it impedes the emergency brake....nope, doesn't effect the E brake or the rear cupholder....also someone said they didn't like the look of it.....if interested, I could take a few pictures and email them (I haven't figured out yet how to put pictures on this forum)

Old 03-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
I got my Elbow Landing Device from TVA....which is formerly, or vice versa, www.gotmini.com I think it looks great and looks like it belongs as part of the MINI.....really a snap ( literally) to install....the two metal brackets just get pressed in under the console on each side and then two bolts go through the top of each bracket into the armrest and you're done....when I first opened the package, I wasn't sure how sturdy it would be but it is plenty sturdy and looks well made and to me looks OEM

someone asked if it impedes the emergency brake....nope, doesn't effect the E brake or the rear cupholder....also someone said they didn't like the look of it.....if interested, I could take a few pictures and email them (I haven't figured out yet how to put pictures on this forum)
I just PM'd you!

Old 03-16-2005, 08:32 PM
kevin44
1st Gear
i was just told by the dealer that the armrest is not dot approved, therefore unavailable in the us.

anyone have any ideas how to get one of the european storage style arm rest?

Old 03-17-2005, 05:56 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
I have the armrest that Umberto describes. I LOVE it! It is as easy to install as has been written and I got mine from Moss on a closeout. I had the other kind that screws into the rear cupholder before making this purchase. I chose to buy the new one because my dog loves to use the armrest as a bridge from the back to the front seat and absolutely trashed the one that installs in the cupholder. I'm writing this because someone asked about "durability". The new one, for about $50, has proven to be indestructible [my dog STILL has not been able to destroy it after 7 months of hard use], as well as a great comfort to my elbow. I particularly like it because you can slide it along the parking brake housing "grooves" and adjust it when the seats are adjusted, too. I sure wish I had bought it first, instead of that other one...now I'm out around $90.

Old 03-23-2005, 11:27 AM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Arizona Auto Concepts

I have this armrest from Arizona Autoconcepts.

Looks like they are having issues with their site, though. I don't even know if this product is still available.

It cost me $280 shipped at the time and there are no screws and the install is also a snap.

It does eliminate the rear cup holder but I think it's the best armrest out there.

I've had it now for a good 8 months or so and I still love it.

I also like the storage compartment.

The only thing bad about it is that if you share the car with someone of drastically different stature, you'll find that adjusting the seat (God only knows why Mini designed it this way) is very difficult as the lumbar support **** and angle lever are near the center of the car.

http://www.azautoconcepts.com/photos...Gray+Interior/

Old 03-23-2005, 03:52 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
I've never seen that one before. If I do get one, I think I'll get the one like Umberto has. Inexpensive, easy install, two qualities I like

Old 03-24-2005, 04:05 PM
shoveit79
2nd Gear
arm rest.

hey just to give you an idea. i had this arm rest until they broke it when i had my car in for service. http://www.qualityautointeriors.com/...?idCategory=17

i bought it on ebay but i havent seen it in a while.

i didnt lose the cup holder it bolts right into it with three screws and its easy install you get an arm rest and storage space and you do not lose your cup holder.

Old 04-11-2005, 06:18 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
Well, I ordered the Elbow Landing Device from TVA (great service by the way....thanks, Randy!), and I thank the NAM members who recommended it. I love it. My husband did a small modification to make it work for me. The ELD was a bit low, so he went to ACE Hardware and bought longer bolts and some nuts and he was able to use those bolts to raise the armrest. Now it's just perfect.

So, if there's anyone out there who thought the Elbow Landing Device is too low for them, it's easily modified. :smile:

Old 04-14-2005, 05:28 AM
Buckeye Rob
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the Elbow Landing Device though my wife who is 5'2" doesn't find it useful because it won't slide far enough forward for her. I'm 6'3" and it is perfect for me. And it is a 5 minute install that is easily removed without damaging anything.

Old 04-14-2005, 09:43 AM
Rennie
4th Gear
I'm also 5'2" but I use the ELD. I have a CVT and I just like to rest my elbow on the ELD while my hand rests on the shifter while I'm driving. It's also good for resting my elbow while waiting for a light. I can just about rest my elbow on it while my fingers touch the steering wheel while I'm driving. I guess I sit a bit farther back.

Old 04-14-2005, 10:58 AM
red rage
4th Gear
STILL Confused on what fits the 2005 ???

Old 04-15-2005, 10:08 AM
shoveit79
2nd Gear
arm rest

http://www.qualityautointeriors.com/...?idCategory=17

i had the one in the middle in my 05 mc till they broke it at the dealership.
fits right into the rear cup holder. and you do not lose it. you actually gain another one. because it has storage inside and also another cup holder. in the armrest. great product. im still so pissed that they broke it.

Old 04-15-2005, 01:20 PM
Moneypenny
3rd Gear
Curious

Originally Posted by shoveit79
http://www.qualityautointeriors.com/...?idCategory=17

i had the one in the middle in my 05 mc till they broke it at the dealership.....
im still so pissed that they broke it.
did they not offer any type of anything? If not, that's pretty rude to break something of yours and not offer to replace it.

BTW who's your dealer?

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Confused by all the armrests out there