Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Airbag Waiver when installing Seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 07:06 AM
d2mini
5th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
Airbag Waiver when installing Seats

Hey guys, I know some of you have signed a waiver and had bmw/mini disable the seat airbags when installing aftermarket seats. I know about the whole resistor option, but I was talking to my service advisor today and they said the only form they have is for turning off the airbags in the rear. If any of you could shed some light on this for me I'd appreciate it.
Thanks!

Old 03-18-2005, 08:19 AM
Mk2 Colonial Viper
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbag deactivation

I researched this issue as I have three children under the age of 12. I found Henry Barreto, Jr. is the person in charge in D.C. (contact info should be easy via Google - I have the file at work/not here). There is the medical exemption or the "at-risk" exemption but the forms do not provide for changes in seats.

The approval certificate package contained information on two companies that provide the switches and do the installation. My service manager (MINI North Scottsdale) was not aware of the switch but helped with the research and found he could - with the approval certificate - deactivate the bag and change the seat belts (something to do with the system). The dilemma was according to Barreto, unless there is no switch available, deactivation cannot be granted. Therefore the certificate is issued for switch installation. The dealer doesn't do that work, so it's off to third parties. Barreto has the contact information and I believe NHSTA is the agency indicated - again a Google search should provide the info in short order.

Good luck - Scott

05 MC HB/W