Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Blind spot mirror

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005 | 04:29 PM
cafejane
|
3rd Gear
Blind spot mirror

Here is my first mod:

The convertible definitely has a blind spot on both sides of the car when the top is up. If you watch in your mirror as a car passes you in the other lane you will see the car disappear in the mirror before you can see it over your shoulder out the side window. If you need to make a quick lane change and have not been watching traffic next to you, it can be a little scary. It is not as bad for my wife whose seat position is farther forword.

I went to my local auto parts store looking for the little stick on blind spot mirrors like I have on my truck and found these 2" diameter mirrors with a black plastic edge just like the regular mirrors on the MINI. I like the way the size and shape of the mirrors fit into the curve of the MINI mirrors. They look like they were made for the MINI and also do not block much of the view in the MINI mirrors.

Not much to it and certainly was not expensive at $2.99 each but it sure helps a lot with the blind spot on the convertible.

Old 03-23-2005 | 12:49 PM
Cooper_Ski
2nd Gear
I have the exact same one! They do help a lot, especially since I always try to back my car in.

Old 03-23-2005 | 01:00 PM
bomboasy
4th Gear
Great mod. Mine is angled some and as you rotate the mirror, the angle allows you to dial in what you are aiming at. It is also placed on the other side of the mirror, closer to the car, that way it does not cover precious mirror area. It kind of takes the place of the reflection of the car, keeping the area you are wanting to look at available.

Bomboasy

Old 03-23-2005 | 01:18 PM
pcnorton
5th Gear
I was thinking of doing this but instead I tried this from another thread.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/featu...ors/index.html

works good for me. Think I will also do the mirror one too.

Paul

Old 03-23-2005 | 01:22 PM
cafejane
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bomboasy
It is also placed on the other side of the mirror, closer to the car, that way it does not cover precious mirror area. It kind of takes the place of the reflection of the car, keeping the area you are wanting to look at available. Bomboasy
I actually tried both sides of the mirror and found the outside edge to work better for me (that is also where the manufacturer reccommends). If I adjust my mirrors so the side of the car is just barely showing on the inside edge of the mirror, then the outside edge is beyond where I need to view. Also, when the blind spot mirror is on the outside edge there is a much wider field of view visible in it. I tested it by moving a trash can around the car in the blind spot. With blind spot mirrors taped to both the inside and outside edges I could see the trash can in more locations in the mirror on the outside edge.

I have also found that backing down my single car wide driveway without the blind spot mirrors I can not see the rear wheels to make sure I am not driving off the edge of the concrete.

Old 03-23-2005 | 01:25 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
I think I will try it. I learned to set my mirrors correctly at Phil Wick's Driving Academy But in the Cabrio, it's a whole different game. For the first month I would turn on my signal & then wait 5 minutes before I changed lanes I have gotten used to it now but that little mirror looks like it might add some additional help.

Lois

Old 03-23-2005 | 10:46 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
i can't focus my eyes on that dual zone mirror... i look at it and my
eyes twitch back and forth between the small and far or large and close.
i guess i won't be able to wear bifocals...

Old 03-23-2005 | 10:59 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
I have an idea. Get another passenger side mirror and install it on your driver's side.

The passenger side mirror is convex, allowing for a wider angle of view.

But now your "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" might be upside down (depending how they install) and will a mirror for one side of the vehicle fit on the other side? I just don't know if the mirrors are perfect ovals or slightly egg shaped, or if they are interchagable.. . .

Since our cars are left hand drive, it would make sense that right hand drive vehicles have a convex mirror on the left side.

So now someone just needs to order a British passenger side mirror for your driver's side and then you'll have two convex mirrors and everything should be hunky-dory!

First one to do this owes me lunch at Krystal!

Old 03-24-2005 | 06:15 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Yucca,

I think I read somewhere that the mirror glass is interchangeable from side to side. Anyone else know for sure?

Old 04-06-2005 | 12:56 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pcnorton
I was thinking of doing this but instead I tried this from another thread.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/featu...ors/index.html

works good for me. Think I will also do the mirror one too.

Paul
I don't have a convertible but correct mirror setting as is described by the link eliminates blind spots. there is no need for the bubble! Any car not seen in your mirror is in a position easily seen (i.e. front of you or directly beside.) It amazes me how few people have properly adjusted mirrors.

Next time you are at a redlight, or everytime, look at the drivers side mirror of the car in front of you. if you can see the persons face they have a huge blind spot, make note of this and then amuse yourself by noting the stupid things they do in the next few miles, conduct a little driver profiling. It seems to me it never fails that the person with those ill adjusted mirrors makes their next turn with no blinker!

Old 04-06-2005 | 03:03 PM
cafejane
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by planeguy
I don't have a convertible but correct mirror setting as is described by the link eliminates blind spots. there is no need for the bubble! Any car not seen in your mirror is in a position easily seen (i.e. front of you or directly beside.) It amazes me how few people have properly adjusted mirrors.
Umm, excuse me but you said it yourself, you don't have a convertible. It amazes me how many people make judgements about things they do not know anything about.

If you follow the above link for Clik and Clak's mirror adjusting method you will find this diagram on step four:

If you look out the rear window of a MINI convertible using the rearview mirror you will not have the clear view indicated. The rearseat headrests and roll bars block this view so you can only see the car directly behind you. This method may work on most cars but not on one with an almost entirely blocked view out the rear window.

Old 04-06-2005 | 03:48 PM
JPit
2nd Gear
I had the same problem in my S2000 and used the 2 inch mirror for a couple of years before finding a regular convex mirror (from the UK) for the driver's side. When I got the cabrio the first thing I bought for it was the 2 inch mirror. Works great but would like to find out if the mirrors are in fact interchangable or if the passenger side mirror(leftside) in the UK is a convex and would fit ours. There is no way our regular mirrors can cover all the blind spots in the cabrio.

Old 04-06-2005 | 04:05 PM
cafejane
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JPit
There is no way our regular mirrors can cover all the blind spots in the cabrio.
Thanks for backing me up JPit.

Old 04-06-2005 | 04:44 PM
Pankeyguy
2nd Gear
Droptops present a special problem WRT mirror adjustments. I fully agree with planeguy's assessment of most drivers ill-adjusted mirrors. It goes along with their underinflated tires, poorly maintained drivetrains and suspensions, etc. However, convertibles have those notorious small back windows really limiting the rear view. Best advice is to never put the top up!

If you have to put it up, adjust mirrors perfectly, then look around ALOT! In my other life I drive an old Alfa spider, without a right side mirror! Now that takes some faith.

Dave
2003 DS/B MCS (daily driver)
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider (top rarely up)

Old 07-06-2009 | 07:19 PM
frank1330
1st Gear
Why does everybody talk about top up?

For me, the convertible with its folded baby stroller top design provides the biggest obstacle to seeing closely following vehicles. Basically I see their roofs. Everything else is obscured by the folded top. This is most disconcerting, being a former miata owner, which rode so low, had a neatly tucked top and no roll bar.
I fear the only way around this problem is a rearview camera. Any suggestions? In every other respect, the Cooper Convertible is awesome.

Old 07-08-2009 | 11:25 AM
jbkone
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Pankeyguy
If you have to put it up, adjust mirrors perfectly, then look around ALOT! In my other life I drive an old Alfa spider, without a right side mirror! Now that takes some faith.
NAH! You just have to drive really fast so you don't have to worry about anyone coming up in your blind spot!

Old 07-08-2009 | 03:06 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
This helped solve my blindspot problem.

Old 03-24-2010 | 12:38 AM
Foxman09
Neutral
Re: Blind spot mirror

Originally Posted by Cooper_Ski
I have the exact same one! Convex blind spot mirrors do help a lot, especially since I always try to back my car in.
I have one on my Subaru Impreza WRX. I trust my mirrors and i don't need to turn my head to back up and change lanes.

Old 03-24-2010 | 09:15 PM
hunter99
4th Gear
While I do have my mirrors adjusted correctly for the most part (couldn't set them that far out as I could not adjust to it) I also went with another option. I ordered a pair of aspherical mirrors that are available in europe. I had these on my VW and BMW's in the past and love the field of vision.

If you are not familiar, the mirrors have are convex mirrors and have a vertical line in the last 1/4 of the mirror on the edge. The mirror effect wraps around from that point allowing you to see your blindspots. Only drawback on the MINI for these is they are not blue tinted (IMOH all mirrors should be).

They are a stock MINI item and here are the part numbers

LT Aspherical Mirror - 51167160775
RT Aspherical Mirror - 51167160776

I got mine from New MINI stuff who is one of NAM's vendors.

Old 03-07-2011 | 12:14 PM
LuvMyCoCoMini
2nd Gear
What year do you guys have? Wondering if that changed at all for the new 2011 models? I just bought mine (haven't drove it a ton) but I haven't noticed any problems with blind spots. My car also has that cold weather package so my mirrors can fold up and in.... Not sure ....

NEVER MIND! Found my answer here:
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...i-cooper-1.htm

Guess its still has huge blind spots in the back!

Last edited by LuvMyCoCoMini; 03-07-2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: found answer
Old 03-07-2011 | 08:02 PM
Checkmate_2006
4th Gear
Originally Posted by hunter99
While I do have my mirrors adjusted correctly for the most part (couldn't set them that far out as I could not adjust to it) I also went with another option. I ordered a pair of aspherical mirrors that are available in europe. I had these on my VW and BMW's in the past and love the field of vision.

If you are not familiar, the mirrors have are convex mirrors and have a vertical line in the last 1/4 of the mirror on the edge. The mirror effect wraps around from that point allowing you to see your blindspots. Only drawback on the MINI for these is they are not blue tinted (IMOH all mirrors should be).

They are a stock MINI item and here are the part numbers

LT Aspherical Mirror - 51167160775
RT Aspherical Mirror - 51167160776

I got mine from New MINI stuff who is one of NAM's vendors.
I had these on my VW and Mercedes. I am want to get a set for my MINI as well. I love the convex mirrors.

Old 03-08-2011 | 12:15 AM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Once you get used to driving with these type of Spot Mirrors,

you may want to go one size up.

If you need to see next to your Mini quickly, the smaller Spot

may not give you a big enough image of what you are trying to see

as you may need to focus on it longer . . . . . . . .