Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Blacking out beltline Chrome...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I really think vinyl will be your best bet. Paint, although seemingly more professional is more likely to chip...and wil lbe much more work and money.

The vinyl will be much more resistan to chips, and if you look at the pic above i posted, you can barely tell that its vinyl....it looks OEM.

I say save yourself the hassle of trying to figure out the painting process and go with vinyl

2per, i think it would look great on your car

Old 04-02-2005, 11:09 AM
doomsdaybob
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper
ok, i'm gonna go to a good decal shop tomarrow and get it in exactly the width i need.

for right now, i went out and got black bumper coating (satin, slightly textured) and painted just the bars in the grill in front. the surround is still chrome. i'm just gonna paint the side markers black also, id rather have them look like euro flares w/o markers rather than smoked or clear.....if its illigal, i dont care lol.

i'll post pics tomarrow, i wanna let the car sit and let the paint cure for now...

heres my "before pic"
Rednwhite,
Check these out, no reflectors or lights

http://www.myminiparts.com/Products_.../EuroSpats.htm

Old 04-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Wraith1416
4th Gear
rick, contact chad at detroit tuned, i talked to him yesterday and he said they are gonna start doing the chrome cover up

Old 04-04-2005, 06:43 PM
eurekame
1st Gear
I used 3m striping tape. 72702. 1/2 inch. It worked great. Took my time. I had to do some parts twice to get it right. Love the look. The turns were difficult but not impossible. I'm very pleased with the look.

Attached Thumbnails Blacking out beltline Chrome...-smdscn5423.jpg   Blacking out beltline Chrome...-smdscn5421.jpg  
Old 04-04-2005, 06:50 PM
KiLO
6th Gear
Very nice... I like it a lot

Where'd you get your 3M tape? I'm sure others would like to know...

Old 04-04-2005, 07:24 PM
KiLO
6th Gear
Old 04-04-2005, 07:28 PM
eurekame
1st Gear
I ordered mine from Napa auto parts.

Old 04-05-2005, 05:37 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by eurekame
I used 3m striping tape. 72702. 1/2 inch. It worked great. Took my time. I had to do some parts twice to get it right. Love the look. The turns were difficult but not impossible. I'm very pleased with the look.
Hey! Thats almost what my MCS will look like, mine is a PW/PW MCS coming in at the end of the month. From seeing your pictures i'm not sure if i want a flat black or gloss black.

Looks great!

Old 04-05-2005, 05:33 PM
Strom
4th Gear
Has anyone used tape to black out the chrome headlight surround trim?

Old 04-05-2005, 07:32 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
tape on the headlights probably wont work unless its die cut to fit out of a sheet. you cant make that kind of complex turn without distortion. but I suppose if you could cut it out of a full sheet of tape/vinyl, it would work.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Goatherder
3rd Gear
Oh, how I love that Pepper Cooper. I want one so bad!!!! No S-lite wheels though.... Too damn hard to clean!!!

Old 04-05-2005, 10:49 PM
amorican
4th Gear
3M Tape

I just ordered some of this stuff and will have plent extra. Perhaps a few of us can hedge our investment in this mod.

If you would like to group buy my remaining stock, PM me and maybe we can set up a vine of sorts.

TJM

Old 04-05-2005, 11:19 PM
keikilee
5th Gear
oh my gosh, that's friggen awesome!!!!! did you have to cut, or did the 1/2 inch fit perfectly? I'm definitely going to do this over the weekend! I'm sooooo excited!

Old 04-07-2005, 06:36 PM
eurekame
1st Gear
keikilee,
It was a perfect fit. The turns required some stretching of the tape to keep it in line. I have plenty left over as well.
I just ordered a roll of 4 inch wide. I'm going to try to duplicate the bonnet stripes on the boot. I will also see if it works on the headlight trim rings. Not by matching the curve but in strips. I can't stop doing things to this car!!!!

Old 04-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
keikilee,
It was a perfect fit. The turns required some stretching of the tape to keep it in line. I have plenty left over as well.
I just ordered a roll of 4 inch wide. I'm going to try to duplicate the bonnet stripes on the boot. I will also see if it works on the headlight trim rings. Not by matching the curve but in strips. I can't stop doing things to this car!!!!
You might want to be careful putting any kind of "tape" on your paint and then have it sit in the sun.

Old 04-08-2005, 04:29 AM
eurekame
1st Gear
I called it tape. I guess the proper term is pinstriping. It can be removed at any time with an eraser wheel. The only draw back is on darker colored cars the sun will bleach the paint were ther was no pinstripe. I would suggest getting a quality material such as SCOTCHCAL by 3M.

Old 04-11-2005, 08:57 PM
amorican
4th Gear
Ok

Just opened a box from Napa containing the 3M Scotchcal Tape. Pefect 1/2 inch size for the beltline. I will try and post some pics and impressions when I am done.

As I posted earlier, I will have like 130 feet left of this stuff, am looking for others who want this mod, maybe we can all go in on the roll I bought.

Let me know guys.

TJM

Old 04-12-2005, 12:08 PM
Vinyl Styles
Banned
De-chromed!! finally

I've tried the electrical tape deal, but that just didn't work. Be careful stretching the vinyl you are using around the corners as it might pull back on either end as the electrical tape did. I de-chromed my S using automotive SEM paint. The prep work took most of the time. Here are some pics of my non chrome S.

Old 04-13-2005, 01:05 PM
eurekame
1st Gear
Lagston, looks great. I like the flat black on the headlight trim rings. I've been thinking of useing wide pinstrip on mine. Painting is still an option. Would you write a short proceedure for painting the rings?

Did you remove the trim rings or paint on the car? What kind of prep work did you do? Did you use a primer? Thanks.

Old 04-13-2005, 02:29 PM
KiLO
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Lagston
I've tried the electrical tape deal, but that just didn't work. Be careful stretching the vinyl you are using around the corners as it might pull back on either end as the electrical tape did. I de-chromed my S using automotive SEM paint. The prep work took most of the time. Here are some pics of my non chrome S.
That looks awesome! What all is involved in the prep?

Old 04-14-2005, 09:30 AM
Vinyl Styles
Banned
Thanks guys, The headlight trim was probably one of the easiest chrome pieces to paint. The headlight is only held in place by three screws, but if you have the power washers it's a bit more intense. There is a way to remove the chrome trim but it seemed like a hassle and I didn't want to break any clips or anything, so I just masked the headlight off really well, sanded it down with some 180 grit sandpaper, no primer, and sprayed two coats of flat black SEM (trim black) and let dry for 24 hours. Most of the chrome trim pieces are plastic so the don't need to be powder coated or primed. Most of your time is spent removing the pieces and preping them. Painting's the easy part.

Old 04-14-2005, 09:46 AM
danbanger
4th Gear
Very nice

I am interested in doing this to my car, some people said they had some left over?

Old 04-14-2005, 09:50 AM
Vinyl Styles
Banned
hey danbanger, Are you going on the run this friday night?? I'll probably meet up with you guys around 11pm so we can chat then, and since you live pretty close let me know if you need a hand with painting your trim.

Old 04-14-2005, 09:53 AM
danbanger
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Lagston
hey danbanger, Are you going on the run this friday night?? I'll probably meet up with you guys around 11pm so we can chat then, and since you live pretty close let me know if you need a hand with painting your trim.
Ah I read your post wrong, I thought you only painted the headlight trim and used the trim "tape" for the other part. Ya I'll be there on Friday we'll be able to chat then. Thanks!

EDIT: oh ya question...people who have done this to the chrome with the vinyl. How do you guys think this will hold up against the weather/ car washes?