Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Bonnet Scoops?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005 | 10:42 AM
neilgj
|
4th Gear
Bonnet Scoops?

For some totally illogical reason I have it in my head that I need to replace my perfectly good body color bonnet scoop with a chrome one.

I started looking around and found out that a great deal of the chrome ones are simply ABS plastic (!!!!) with a chromed finish (about $100). Some fit over the existing scoop and others appear to replace it. I then found that there are graphite ones (about $170) and I even found one that appears to be made of steel with a real chrome finish (about $470!) (http://new.minimania.com/web/AddedFr.../InvDetail.cfm).

Part of what appeals to me about a new scoop is getting one with a grill in the opening to keep out large flying objects like rocks, birds, squirrels, castles, etc.

What I want to know is, for what reason, besides aesthetics and price , would I choose a graphite vs plastic vs steel?

I understand that graphite is grey/black and lighter and stronger but I won't be sitting on it (much) or carrying it around. The plastic is cheaper and most come with some sort of grill and the original part appears to be a plastic one but it is plastic and I fear the chrome finish will wear off and it will get cracked and icky looking. The steel (I think stainless) should maintain its lustre but it's quite pricey!

Do you have one of these fellows? What does it look like? What does it look like against "liquid yellow"? How does it wear?

What would you do?