Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior OEM Checkered Flag Sunroof Decal

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005 | 05:18 PM
fs-mini
|
3rd Gear
OEM Checkered Flag Sunroof Decal

Hi, I have searched the site, many people discussed about roof decal, but no one has discussed about the OEM one.

So, is there any one already installed with this factory checkered 'Sunroof' decal (not the non-sunroof one)? How is the quality vs. aftermarket? Perforated for light to shine thru?

Thanks.

Old 04-01-2005 | 08:16 PM
VoiD
6th Gear
I was going to get the checkered sunroof decal, but my dealer wants $650 installed.
If anyone has one, please let us know as I want to know if it is worth finding a sign shop that would install it cheaper.

Old 04-01-2005 | 08:28 PM
Smooth is Quik
3rd Gear
I have one back ordered at the dealer right now. I plan on getting the same guy that did my tinted windows to do it. Paid list price minus 20% for being a local Mini Club member. I won a sunroof decal at the AMVIV this past month however it is the sunroof portion of the entire roof application from Aestheticreations that I'm willing to sell. Has larger squares compared to the small OEM ones.

Old 04-02-2005 | 10:06 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Mike said he'd swap for something of the same value if you want.

Old 04-02-2005 | 11:00 AM
fs-mini
|
3rd Gear
So, do you guys mean there is no one in the US has that decal installed, and most likely they are back ordered?

Old 04-02-2005 | 11:22 AM
movieman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fs-mini
So, do you guys mean there is no one in the US has that decal installed, and most likely they are back ordered?
Why do you want the OEM? They are EXTREMELY expensive. Email Ed at Cooperflags to see if he can get the checkerboard the size you want for a fraction of what the dealer is charging!

Old 04-02-2005 | 12:28 PM
kseckel99
5th Gear
Hi, I have searched the site, many people discussed about roof decal, but no one has discussed about the OEM one.

So, is there any one already installed with this factory checkered 'Sunroof' decal (not the non-sunroof one)? How is the quality vs. aftermarket? Perforated for light to shine thru?

Thanks.
I have the white version on my Mini and love it. My eyes are a little light sensitive so losing the light coming through the moonroof wasn't a concern. And if I want to open it up, I still can. Please I like the way it makes the car look, no more black top.
Downtown did the work (the firat one they told me) and they did an absolute wonderful job. I think the decal cost me $95 and the total with installation was $120 (if I remember right).

Old 04-02-2005 | 03:04 PM
fs-mini
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by movieman
Why do you want the OEM? They are EXTREMELY expensive. Email Ed at Cooperflags to see if he can get the checkerboard the size you want for a fraction of what the dealer is charging!
That's not quite true. Cooperflag charges $140 for sunroof only decal, if you buy from Classic Mini, they give 20% off, so it is $120 only. The only drawback is no custom color if you bought OEM one.

Old 04-02-2005 | 08:49 PM
movieman
4th Gear
I may be wrong but I don't think the OEM is perforated.

Old 04-04-2005 | 01:36 PM
jwardell
6th Gear
I'm pretty sure the OEM ones are NOT perforated. That is, you lose half the function of the sunroof! I have the CF one.

Old 04-05-2005 | 02:47 PM
VoiD
6th Gear
I just ordered the checkered sunroof decal..
I've always wanted one, but couldn't take what my dealer charges.
I found a shop that'll install it for a lot cheaper along with new stripes.
will post pictures once I get it applied.. probably next weekend.
I heard the OEM ones are kinda perforated, that you can still see through it.. but I'll have to wait and see.

Old 04-05-2005 | 05:43 PM
Redbird73
Coordinator :: St. Louis MINI Club
I ordered my 05 S with the sunroof checkerboard OEM graphic. Roadshow installed it for me; I think the install cost was around $200. The OEM graphic is NOT perforated and does totally block all sunlight from coming in the roof. I don't mind losing the moonroof visibility, since I can see the checkers from inside the car, which is kind of cool! I love the graphic and would recommend it. Let me know if you have any other questions about it.

Aaron

Old 04-05-2005 | 05:57 PM
fs-mini
|
3rd Gear
Thanks much for the info, Aaron. I inquired both Classic Mini and Mini of Sterling, both said the decal is perforated. Now, they may be wrong because you speak from a owner perspective. I personally like to have sun light passing thru. Will you be able to take a pic of looking from inside to the roof by any chance? If that is asking too much, then nevermind.

Thanks.

Old 04-05-2005 | 06:55 PM
Redbird73
I will tomorrow morning, will post it for you...it looks cool! Stay tuned.

Aaron

Thanks much for the info, Aaron. I inquired both Classic Mini and Mini of Sterling, both said the decal is perforated. Now, they may be wrong because you speak from a owner perspective. I personally like to have sun light passing thru. Will you be able to take a pic of looking from inside to the roof by any chance? If that is asking too much, then nevermind.

Thanks.

Old 04-06-2005 | 02:45 PM
Redbird73
Here's some photos, enjoy:

Old 04-06-2005 | 05:24 PM
fs-mini
|
3rd Gear
Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the post. That looks really cool inside, the checker view from inside can work as an interior decoration. Too bad that my wife and I both love the sun light passing thru even with the roof shuts. Anyway, this really helps.