Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Side Gills

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 11:35 PM
amorican
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side Gills

I am on a mission to de-chrome Black Tie, and until I find the right vinyl tape, I started with the side "shark gills." Pushed them out, masked the "S" and painted black. Looks great but I don't know if it will hold up. Wondering if anyone else has done this with any success, or if they can be bought anywhere in black instead of chrome, with the "S" of course.

TJM

Old 04-05-2005, 08:47 AM
Wraith1416
4th Gear
i just took my "S" gills off and put Cooper gills on. no badging gives it that kinda sleeper look. now i just need a blacked out turn signal light

Old 04-05-2005, 10:25 PM
amorican
4th Gear
bump

No one else has done this?

No ideas?

TJM

Old 04-05-2005, 11:11 PM
mini d
5th Gear
Do you have a picture?

Originally Posted by amorican
I am on a mission to de-chrome Black Tie, and until I find the right vinyl tape, I started with the side "shark gills." Pushed them out, masked the "S" and painted black. Looks great but I don't know if it will hold up. Wondering if anyone else has done this with any success, or if they can be bought anywhere in black instead of chrome, with the "S" of course.

TJM
I was thinking of doing the same thing and I am curious to see what it looks like. What type of prep did you do? Did you mask the chrome surround on the "S" or just the red part? Pics please, if you can.

Old 04-05-2005, 11:12 PM
mini d
5th Gear
I think plenty of shops sell a smoked...

Originally Posted by Wraith1416
i just took my "S" gills off and put Cooper gills on. no badging gives it that kinda sleeper look. now i just need a blacked out turn signal light
marker light for the sides. I think I saw it on minispares website.

Old 04-05-2005, 11:38 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
it's easy if you just get cooper grilles....unless you want the S on the side....

OOO another excuse to post pics of my car!!! LOL

Old 04-06-2005, 12:34 AM
mini d
5th Gear
Looking to keep the "S"

Originally Posted by Tuls
it's easy if you just get cooper grilles....unless you want the S on the side....

OOO another excuse to post pics of my car!!! LOL

I am kinda partial to it. Quit waxing your bonnet, you can see right through it!!!

Old 04-06-2005, 08:06 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by mini d
I am kinda partial to it. Quit waxing your bonnet, you can see right through it!!!
LOL yeah huh...DANG IT!!! must be that new wax I got....it's powerful goodness

Old 04-18-2005, 02:16 PM
Vinyl Styles
Banned
A little late but I figured it wouldn't hurt to post three pages deep. I actually took the red sticker off of the "S" and sanded down the whole thing including the tough to reach indented portion. I used automotive SEM flat black.

Old 04-18-2005, 02:23 PM
CustomAV
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Lagston
A little late but I figured it wouldn't hurt to post three pages deep. I actually took the red sticker off of the "S" and sanded down the whole thing including the tough to reach indented portion. I used automotive SEM flat black.
Lagston,

That looks sweet! I have to ask though was it necessary to fully sand it down? What grit were you using and did it come out smooth? Sorry for the questions but I love the job you did as it is exactly what I want to do!!!

Did you use a compressor and sprayer or just a regular spray can?

Old 04-18-2005, 02:30 PM
Vinyl Styles
Banned
Originally Posted by CustomAV
Lagston,

That looks sweet! I have to ask though was it necessary to fully sand it down? What grit were you using and did it come out smooth? Sorry for the questions but I love the job you did as it is exactly what I want to do!!!

Did you use a compressor and sprayer or just a regular spray can?
Thanks, I sanded down the pieces with some 180 grit sandpaper till it had a brushed aluminum look. It was still smooth but just make sure you get every nook and cranny. I purchased some special automotive paint in a can by SEM (Trim black) at my local specialty paint store. I'll get some pictures up of the can since I've had lots of questions about the paint. Let me know if you need more info on the work involved. Thanks again.

Lagston

Old 04-18-2005, 02:33 PM
mini d
5th Gear
Lagston that looks

INCREDIBLE!! As posted above it would be greatly appreciated if you could let us know the procedure. I think I will deviate from your exact application though as I will be retaining the red "S". Definitely two thumbs up!!

Edit: Thanks for the info. I guess I type REALLY SLOW!

Old 04-18-2005, 02:36 PM
CustomAV
5th Gear
Cool! Any help you can provide would be appreciated. I assume removing the side markers is not a hard task, will look into it when I get home, also for the paint as well....

I just want to make sure it looks good from a close inspection as well as from a distance. I will definitely take of the red.... my baby is Darks Silver and anything I can do to keep the black and grey look is best!

Chris

Old 04-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Vinyl Styles
Banned
Thanks for all the positive comments. I will write up a nice long paragraph with pictures and such tomorrow as I am on my dinner break from work. If anyone is close to the bay area I would be willing to give a hand with grilles and such.

Old 04-19-2005, 07:21 AM
Pir8 97
4th Gear
Hey if anyone is interested, I still have the black vents from my old Cooper. I'd be willing to give them away if someone wants to pay for the shipping.

EDIT: Already sold.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:52 PM
Vinyl Styles
Banned
Hey all,
Here are some pictures of the SEM Trim black paint I used on most of the exterior chrome pieces, an upclose shot of the S, and my rear COOPER S badging powder coated flat black, make me an offer on the badging and I'll pay the shipping. So, the side grilles are three main pieces (once you remove the bulb), the chrome piece, the S, and the black grill that sits behind the chrome piece as you can see in the picture. With the bonnet popped place a finger or two behind the fender and you'll feel a plastic point, push that out, some may be stubborn, once that side is popped out, the other end just slides out towerds the front of the car.
Looking at the backside of the grill you'll see the "S" piece being held in by a round retaing clip. I used some small needle nose plyers to slowly walk it up the shaft. Once you've done this there is also some double back tape holding the "S" to the large piece, just work it off gently. My first idea was to mask off the red "S", this was difficult when it came to sanding around it. When I was finished and was removing the tape it started to expose the chrome that surounded the "S". You can give it a try if you have plenty of patience. I removed the sticker with my nail and finger and some goo gone or you could just go straight for the 180 grit sand paper and have the double back tape just flake off.

When you are preping (sanding) the "S" make sure you get inside the little revine, or indentation, with the sand paper really well or your paint won't stick and you'll be putting three to four coats on the "S". Once it's preped you can take some vice grips and clamp down lightly on the shaft, or if you have an idea of your own, go for it.

Now just sand down the large piece really well, especially in the indent for the bulb and casing, mask off what you wish, tape down the bottom side to a piece of cardboard or what-not and spray away. Preferably 2 coats, maybe 3. You don't really need to spray the black grill as it is already black . Good Luck. Take your time and you'll be fine.

Lagston

Old 04-19-2005, 01:59 PM
CustomAV
5th Gear
Lagston,

Thanks for the info! Very helpful.

Anything else you have done we can look at and copy

Old 04-19-2005, 02:32 PM
KiLO
6th Gear
Very awesome. Lagston helped me out and let me know about this paint and I'm VERY happy with it!

Old 04-19-2005, 02:34 PM
CustomAV
5th Gear
By the way where do you get the paint. You mention specialty paint stores but I am not sure I have one around here that would have automotive paint.

Could I find it at an autoparts store?

Chris

Old 04-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Vinyl Styles
Banned
I purchased the paint at a shop in San Carlos, CA called San Carlos Paint Co House Industrial. Here is the phone number if you'd like to give them a call and ask them if they know of any other place you can purchase some SEM paint.

650-593-7667

Good Luck

Lagston

Old 04-20-2005, 03:52 PM
Ethereal
2nd Gear
Do you have a pic of the black Cooper S lettering while it's on the car?

Old 04-20-2005, 11:52 PM
Vinyl Styles
Banned
No, I don't have any good double back tape, and I kinda like the clean look.

Old 04-21-2005, 07:18 AM
CustomAV
5th Gear
Lagston,

Just go to any body shop and they have the tape that is used for lettering and emblems on cars. They are usually pretty nice and will give you some. The only pain with the COOPER S is that you will have to painfully cut each piece of tape on the letters so that it wont show when you put them on the car.

Old 04-22-2005, 01:28 AM
Vinyl Styles
Banned
Would anyone be interested in purchasing these from me if I were to buy a pair and coat them flat black as in the picture??

Lagston

Old 04-22-2005, 05:28 AM
davn8r
3rd Gear
First of all: great job! Thanks for the inspiration (and the instructions). It looks great, and you've explained it clearly.

Second: what kind of price would you put on a pair of Lagified Gills? This seems like do-able DIY, but as busy as I've been lately, I kinda like the idea of getting a finished set from you. Feel free to PM me with a price.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Side Gills