Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Rear Seat Delete Kit? Interested?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005 | 05:48 AM
red rage
4th Gear
Hmmm ... Looks like your hauling around a T.V.

Originally Posted by Samtrak
DIY and loving it

INSTALLED 08-05-2004

COST of materials...$20.00

this pic was taken on the day of install ive since matched the carpet.... i found it easier just to wrap the back section in black to match the decklid. this was way easier than trying to match the MINI carpet.

Old 10-19-2005 | 06:00 AM
MOTORN
4th Gear
Samtrak,nice job looks great.
Too much weight for me however.
I don't need no ICE baby, just let me hear the "charger" whine.

Old 10-19-2005 | 11:05 AM
Samtrak
4th Gear
priorities....

that whole system pops in and out in 10min. for the ultimate in weight reduction.... i usually rip off my door panels and headlights before i hit the track. the sunroof spent all of the summer in the garage, and the lack of a battery box and straight through exhaust give more than ample justification for my low end frequency addiction.

Old 10-19-2005 | 11:09 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Samtrak
priorities....

the sunroof spent all of the summer in the garage
Ah...still waiting for a CF sunroof replacement Are there no vendors interested in this market?

Old 10-19-2005 | 11:53 AM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Ah...still waiting for a CF sunroof replacement Are there no vendors interested in this market?
Sounds like a good time to put your design skills out and make one then have them sell it!

-Josh

Old 10-19-2005 | 12:28 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Battle Cattle
Sounds like a good time to put your design skills out and make one then have them sell it!

-Josh
Unfortunately, I'm not a fabricator and know nothing about CF It simply boggles my mind how many areas of the Mini aftermarket is not being filled after 6 years of production:impatient :impatient :impatient

Old 10-19-2005 | 01:52 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
wow!! 6yrs has it been that long!?!?!?

---yea thats why this market needs avant-garde designers b4 its to late
----Hint...Hint...
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Unfortunately, I'm not a fabricator and know nothing about CF It simply boggles my mind how many areas of the Mini aftermarket is not being filled after 6 years of production:impatient :impatient :impatient

Old 10-19-2005 | 02:49 PM
garretwp
5th Gear
I just wanted to post an update to my rear seat delete project. I redid the carpeting and the logo. Here are some pictures.

Garrett

Old 10-19-2005 | 02:58 PM
Strom
4th Gear
That is awesome. How did you get the MINI logo on the carpet?

Old 10-19-2005 | 03:10 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Is it going into production??

Old 10-19-2005 | 03:11 PM
garretwp
5th Gear
Patience is the key. I printed out a large mini logo and traced it onto cardboard. I then cut the card board into layers and carefully sprayed the carpet in steps with carpet paint. If you take your time, then you should not have any issues. It took me a few tries to get the way i wanted the logo. But i feel much better doing something myself! I love DIY projects. :smile:

Garrett

Old 10-19-2005 | 08:52 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
NiCE touch ....on the pin's
Originally Posted by garretwp
Patience is the key. I printed out a large mini logo and traced it onto cardboard. I then cut the card board into layers and carefully sprayed the carpet in steps with carpet paint. If you take your time, then you should not have any issues. It took me a few tries to get the way i wanted the logo. But i feel much better doing something myself! I love DIY projects. :smile:

Garrett

Old 10-19-2005 | 09:18 PM
MINICHEF
6th Gear
Looks great!
How and where did you print you the graphics?
i am about to do a rear seat delete and would like some cool design.

Old 10-20-2005 | 04:54 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
I did an image search on google for a large mini logo and found one that was really huge, not sure how big it was. I re-sized the image a bit and then printed it out on my color laser printer at work. I made a few copies to be able to do the logo in steps for the paint. I just glued the print out on a piece of non corrugated cardboard and carefully cut it out with a knife. By the way, thanks all for the compliments!

Garrett

Old 10-20-2005 | 04:59 AM
L8RG8R
2nd Gear
I re-sized the image a bit and then printed it out on my color laser printer at work.
Awesome! Using company resources for personal use. I love it. Reminds me of Office Space. "Yeah, uh, we're gonna have to move you to the basement."

Old 10-20-2005 | 05:04 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
Hey where else am I going to find a color laser that will print on 17x11 size paper? (Free that is) Besides it was begging me to have something print on it!

Garrett

Old 10-20-2005 | 05:18 AM
Dolmangar
4th Gear
That looks great. I'm part way thru something similar. I built it over the weekend and haven't taken any pictures yet. I REALLY like the MINI logo, nice job

Looks like my board might be a bit larger and wider (had to work at the size to make sure that it would fit thru the rear hatch. And instead of pins to hold it in place (which I'm now considering after looking at yours) I mounted a 2x4 across, under the plywood board, with cutouts that fit over the mounting hooks for the front of the seat to keep it from sliding forward, and also increase the strength of the 3/8 plywood. Then I made a bracket (which I think is going to be changed into a hinge) and attached it where the center pivot point for the seat backs gets attached.

I have ordered some flush mount cargo hooks, although I haven't fully decided how many, or where I'm going to place them. I'm likely going to dynomat under the board to get rid of some of the echo that is now heard without the seat there.

Now I need to find the carpet, to finish it. Since this is primarily for the dog, I'm planning on making a custom fit dog bed that fits in there, and also leveling out the sunken boot area with a drop in of some sort. I'm considering getting a mesh dog separator that I can mount between the seats to prevent the dog from flying forward in an accident. Haven't worked out that detail yet.

Old 10-20-2005 | 05:32 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
The carpet that I used matches not to bad with the mini. It does not look like it in the photo, but it is not a bad match. I purchased the carpet at a local upholstery shop. I also had an idea of take the wood and covering it with the truck bed liner for durability. Maybe that is something you can do with yours and then make a bed that will lay on top of the board. Just an idea for you to consider.

Garrett

Old 10-20-2005 | 05:41 AM
Dolmangar
4th Gear
Good idea on the bed liner. I bet that if I prime the wood, a spray in liner would make a great durable surface.

Old 10-20-2005 | 05:52 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
The only thing I would suggest if you go that route is to make sure when you spray it, that you air it out for a few days to get rid of the smell of the paint. Not sure how bad it will smell but just to be safe.

Garrett

Old 10-20-2005 | 06:03 AM
Dolmangar
4th Gear
"But officer, that's the bedliner that you smell, honest!"

"Sure, buddy, bedliner... please step out of the car."

Old 10-20-2005 | 06:11 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
Ill have to be honest, it is not as bad as you may think. Years ago my brother had a Suzuki Samari and we took out the old carpet and sprayed the whole floor with the bed liner. It looked really good and when try and aired out for the day, it did not smell at all. I wanted to ask, anyone who has this mod, do they notice any knocking noises when going over bumps? I have this noise that sounds like something tapping when going over bumps or rough roads. It is coming from the hatch i believe.

Garrett

Old 10-20-2005 | 07:49 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
that noise if its not comin' from ur seat delete mod then its the latch it self....

do u have a chrome one or black one?

Ill have to be honest, it is not as bad as you may think. Years ago my brother had a Suzuki Samari and we took out the old carpet and sprayed the whole floor with the bed liner. It looked really good and when try and aired out for the day, it did not smell at all. I wanted to ask, anyone who has this mod, do they notice any knocking noises when going over bumps? I have this noise that sounds like something tapping when going over bumps or rough roads. It is coming from the hatch i believe.

Garrett

Old 10-20-2005 | 08:01 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
The noise is deff. not the seat delete. I took that out to track down the noise. The latch is a black on. I hear people adjusting the latch. How do I go about doing this?

Garrett

Old 10-20-2005 | 08:11 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
loosen the body bolts & pull it towards the ground more or less....but i see ur an 05' so get the dealer to do it under warranty....:smile:
The noise is deff. not the seat delete. I took that out to track down the noise. The latch is a black on. I hear people adjusting the latch. How do I go about doing this?

Garrett

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Rear Seat Delete Kit? Interested?