Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Rear Seat Delete Kit? Interested?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005 | 01:41 PM
stylin99
|
3rd Gear
Rear Seat Delete Kit? Interested?

In noticing the severe lack of modifications to the Mini Cooper available on the market, I thought I'd post up a quick question to see if anyone is interested in a rear seat delete kit that removes roughly 35-40 lbs from the center of the car. This is in no way an advertisement so I hope the mods leave it. I'm just asking if it's a product you guys want for your Mini.

I own an '05 S for a daily driver but also currently run www.rearseatdelete.com which is dedicated to, you guessed it... rear seat deletes. It's Mustang specific now but if there is interest here, maybe I'll develop a design for the Cooper and then purchase some advertising space on NAM to sell them.

It does render your rear seat useless but you gain some storage space, and stop messing up those rear seats with hauling gear, and drop about 35-40 lbs for racing depending on how the design turns out.

I've already pulled the rear seat components and weighed them and checked out a potential design. We use black ABS Plastic covered in either carpet or vinyl to match the interior. I'd estimate cost at $89 to $169 depending on the severity of the build.

So is anyone interested?

Old 04-13-2005 | 02:08 PM
discodan
5th Gear
Definitely!!!

Old 04-13-2005 | 02:20 PM
Skiploder
Banned
Count me in.............

Old 04-13-2005 | 02:33 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
A couple of people(myself included) already have this. I know someone made their's out of CF to save weight, i forget his screenname though. And a few of us used aluminum...worked perfectly

Old 04-13-2005 | 02:45 PM
discodan
5th Gear
i kinda like the sound of his product using plastic. sounds more durable when i think of my dog being back there or anything that may be wet.

Old 04-13-2005 | 03:33 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
All,

I'm not interested in taking out my back seat, but if any of you who are, happen to have a Panther Black Leather rear sport seat and are looking to get rid of it, I'm open to buying it from you for a fair price. Just send me a PM with your asking price and we can talk.

Old 04-13-2005 | 03:36 PM
Buckeye Rob
1st Gear
Would the result be a weight-bearing flat floor from boot lid to the front edge of where the back seat used to be that is covered in factory matching carpet? If so, I might be interested. The only hangup for me is the extra noise I get when the seats are folded down would probably be just as bad with this mod. It might bug me and though I wonder how much dynamatting the floor and side walls may help.

Old 04-13-2005 | 04:52 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Buckeye Rob
Would the result be a weight-bearing flat floor from boot lid to the front edge of where the back seat used to be that is covered in factory matching carpet? If so, I might be interested. The only hangup for me is the extra noise I get when the seats are folded down would probably be just as bad with this mod. It might bug me and though I wonder how much dynamatting the floor and side walls may help.
removing the seats all together makes your exhaust roar in the cabin...i personally like it. I dont know whether this product would help with reducing the added noise, we will have to wait and see his response.

I'm actually thinking of making a custom wooden one back there like you see in hot-rod trucks, and covering it in veneer so i can carry my surf stuff in the summer....woody style

As of right now, my metal is holding up fine, and i just remove it for track days when i dont want the extra weight. I may switch to thick plexiglass or something....who knows

Old 04-13-2005 | 05:09 PM
th3118
Coordinator :: Dynamic MiNi Collective
I'm interested.

Old 04-13-2005 | 05:14 PM
aokdoug
3rd Gear
me too

Old 04-17-2005 | 08:11 AM
stylin99
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
removing the seats all together makes your exhaust roar in the cabin...i personally like it. I dont know whether this product would help with reducing the added noise, we will have to wait and see his response.
I will probably have 2 options. 1 for hardcore racers which is a floor panel to cover the metal exposed from removing the lower seat cushion, and removes the most weight. This version will also be good for cargo space if you use your mini for hauling large objects regularly.

The other will be a more street-friendly version with a back section that goes up at the angle of the rear seat back to help reduce noise, and folds down to allow more storage.

This of course, is all preliminary thoughts. I've been working on constructing the first prototypes, to see how it will all work and the actual weight loss of each version. The rear seat backs alone weigh 30 lbs even (with the fake pleather) .

The seatbelts are also removable if you choose, but the weight loss is minimal. Less than 5 lbs.

Old 04-17-2005 | 08:34 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Call me crazy but. Is it possible to have a kit to remove both seats or just one? I occasionally have a single rear passsenger and wouldn't want to have to pop the seat in to have them ride along.

Old 04-17-2005 | 08:52 AM
DVLMINI
Former Vendor
Yes. As a multi dog family and a frequent hauler of t-shirt boxes, I need this. Please put me on your mailing list if you do this. Might be good to have a carpet/felt insert for those storage areas to prevent things rattling around.

Old 04-17-2005 | 09:01 AM
BaldBikerGuy
Banned
very interested...

the "work" MINI is just that for work and hauling things

I keep waiting to screw up my leather seats, this would work out so I could just put them on the shelf until I want them.

Old 04-19-2005 | 11:50 AM
Dog_Man
1st Gear
You couldn't be asking this question at a better time for me!

I want it for a couple of reasons, one it'll be better for me at the track, can haul wheels and the weight savings, as well my wife hauls the dogs around and I've been wanting to do this for a while now.

Will you ship to Canada

Please put me on the list as well.

Old 04-19-2005 | 11:59 AM
newbs49
Banned
Delete

Yes

Do you know if this would work with rollbars and cages. Just a question. Or will holes have to be drilled in the part. Thanks

Old 04-19-2005 | 12:03 PM
c615586
3rd Gear
I'm interested.

Old 04-19-2005 | 12:16 PM
biggripper
6th Gear
If the price is right, I am interested.

Old 04-19-2005 | 01:01 PM
TheBlackBrian
4th Gear
You know what I thought would be REALLY COOL? If the rear seat had a quick release setup, so you could easily take it out when you want. Almost like a mini van(hehe pun). Know that would be worth developing!

Old 04-19-2005 | 01:11 PM
soofle
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by forevercornered
You know what I thought would be REALLY COOL? If the rear seat had a quick release setup, so you could easily take it out when you want. Almost like a mini van(hehe pun). Know that would be worth developing!
I agree. I would be interested in this mod but I know that occaisionally Im going to need the back seat (passengers or delicate cargo) so anything that leaves the option for quickly replacing the seat would be great. Maybe add a third model to your line-up? one for race, one for street, and one quick release for street. I duno about everyone else but i would be willing to pay a bit more for the ability to easily add/remove seating from the rear as needed.

Old 04-19-2005 | 01:40 PM
mhhoff
2nd Gear
Rear Seat Delete (rhymes, too!)

Dual purpose . . . more room for golf clubs and the reduced weight will shave at least .00001 secs. off my track time. Cool! I'm in, too!

Old 04-19-2005 | 04:44 PM
Nuvolari
4th Gear
I am definitely interested. It would be nice if there could be a door or doors to access the small area below the platform, in the area where the seats were removed. Please post some pictures when you have the prototype ready.

Old 04-19-2005 | 04:47 PM
cthatcher5
Neutral
Delete my seats!

Old 04-19-2005 | 05:05 PM
marksmith
3rd Gear
space for a compact spare (MCS owners)

I an very interested IF the space is deep enough to allow a spare to be stowed away. As a MSC owner w/ non-runflats I carry an OE mini compact spare for town & road trips. Thanks

Old 04-19-2005 | 05:07 PM
MedicRandy
1st Gear
Very interested depending on the price and look.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Rear Seat Delete Kit? Interested?