Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior The Scoop on Scoops

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005 | 10:41 PM
REDWORF
|
2nd Gear
The Scoop on Scoops

I recently installed a set of BFP cowl scoops. I liked the look of the Oricari cowl scoops but went for the BFP units because they were already molded in black ABS and I would not need to mess around with painting.

The photo on BFP's website made the scoop look as if it had a fine pebble grained texture. This I assumed would match with the wheel arches so I was not concerned by that. The scoops also looked to have a thickened leading edge. While I did not like the edge, I went with the purchase anyway.

I am delighted to say that I am happy with the purchase all around. First, the scoops are well built and very sturdy. They have a satin smooth surface texture (due to some mold changes that were put in place after the photo was placed on BFP's website). The thickened leading edge is actually a protective rubber cover that can be readily slipped off to reveal a rather sharp edge. The covers protect this edge from dings during shipping and installation.

The units snap into place, do not rattle, and (in my opinion) look good. The top sits higher than the Oricari scoop which, while not as stylish, may be more functional. In front view, the scoop is taller toward the centerline of the car which is in response to trying to get the maximum front opening area without putting the scoop in conflict with the opened hood.

The driver's side scoop had a "snorkle" tube designed to drop air immediately in the path of the air cleaner. I used a Dremel to cut this down a bit to clear my Alta CAI.

I have attached a few photos.

K. F. Duke

Attached Thumbnails The Scoop on Scoops-scoop-2.jpg   The Scoop on Scoops-underscoop-2.jpg   The Scoop on Scoops-scoop-3.jpg  
Old 04-14-2005 | 10:50 PM
bluesmini
6th Gear
i'm looking for a larger scoop for the intercooler. i've seen one that sticks to the original scoop but i'd like to find one that is bigger and a solid piece. if you've seen one or know of a place let me know.

Old 04-14-2005 | 11:05 PM
tech-gi
2nd Gear
Shkoop

Originally Posted by bluesmini
i'm looking for a larger scoop for the intercooler. i've seen one that sticks to the original scoop but i'd like to find one that is bigger and a solid piece. if you've seen one or know of a place let me know.
If you have a lot of money laying around you could go w/ the bigger intercooler and diverter. From your sig it looks like you track your Mini.

By the way I saw a thred about the stick-on scoop part, it's just ABS w/ carbon fiber graphic

Old 04-14-2005 | 11:15 PM
bluesmini
6th Gear
i was gonna get that stick on scoop lip til i found out it was plastic with CF stickers covering it. no way i'd pay that much for that thing.

i'm pretty happy with just the CAI and the smaller pulley on the track. i'm afraid that anymore engine work might shorten the life of the engine. so for now it's just suspension and brakes.

next on the list is Big Brake Kit. i keep finding these schools/drivers ed's i can get into and spend my big brake kit money on them. earlier this month the porsche club and next week the audi club. damn those audi's with their AWD. when they spin of the track in the mud they can get back on....

p.s. no, i don't have a lot of money, laying around or otherwise.

Old 04-14-2005 | 11:48 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bluesmini
We have recently come out with a different hood scoop. Perhaps this would appeal to you.

Randy
M7 Tuning

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=40850

Old 04-15-2005 | 12:43 AM
tech-gi
2nd Gear
Well there ya go!

Originally Posted by maxmini
We have recently come out with a different hood scoop. Perhaps this would appeal to you.

Randy
M7 Tuning

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=40850
Nice,
You still need some duketts though.

Old 04-15-2005 | 03:52 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
Originally Posted by REDWORF
I recently installed a set of BFP cowl scoops. I liked the look of the Oricari cowl scoops but went for the BFP units because they were already molded in black ABS and I would not need to mess around with painting.

The photo on BFP's website made the scoop look as if it had a fine pebble grained texture. This I assumed would match with the wheel arches so I was not concerned by that. The scoops also looked to have a thickened leading edge. While I did not like the edge, I went with the purchase anyway.

I am delighted to say that I am happy with the purchase all around. First, the scoops are well built and very sturdy. They have a satin smooth surface texture (due to some mold changes that were put in place after the photo was placed on BFP's website). The thickened leading edge is actually a protective rubber cover that can be readily slipped off to reveal a rather sharp edge. The covers protect this edge from dings during shipping and installation.

The units snap into place, do not rattle, and (in my opinion) look good. The top sits higher than the Oricari scoop which, while not as stylish, may be more functional. In front view, the scoop is taller toward the centerline of the car which is in response to trying to get the maximum front opening area without putting the scoop in conflict with the opened hood.

The driver's side scoop had a "snorkle" tube designed to drop air immediately in the path of the air cleaner. I used a Dremel to cut this down a bit to clear my Alta CAI.

I have attached a few photos.

K. F. Duke
just a heads up on a problem I had with this product when mated with Alta's CAI: here in the Northeast ,if you do any driving in snow, you wind up ram airing snow and ice directly into your intake and thence into your throttle body .I wound up with a water in the throttle body, which froze into a chunk of ice once the car was parked at work ,rendering the car undrivable when I came out to drive home.I know this to be a problem with Alta's design of removing sheet metal and exposing the filter to direct contact with cowl intake air. Jock

Old 04-15-2005 | 05:17 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Aesthetically they look great . Did you leave them unpainted? IS that the finish they come with? Looks good :smile: You wouldnt by any chance have any picstures standing a little further away from the car do you?

Thanks, looking good

Old 04-15-2005 | 06:24 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
How much more airflow via the HVAC do you have now?

Old 04-16-2005 | 02:46 PM
minimc
5th Gear
Thanks for posting the thread/pic's.

I'll chime in… want to see what they look like from a little further away - a more natural vantage point. It’ll give better perspective as to how they incorporate with the bonnet of your MINI.
So far... looks very good

Old 04-16-2005 | 04:38 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
They look great. After lots of going back-and-forth on which type I wanted, I ordered some Oricari scoops for mine. But I heard it through the grapevine that a certain vendor will have their version out soon. I'm not going to say who because it will start another debate and people will want to see numbers and dyno charts

Old 04-16-2005 | 05:14 PM
jdemaria
2nd Gear
I really like these scoops as well but now are they just a rain funnel to the engine?

JD

Old 04-17-2005 | 03:03 PM
minimc
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Rick-Anderson
I heard it through the grapevine that a certain vendor will have their version out soon. I'm not going to say who because it will start another debate and people will want to see numbers and dyno charts
Not unless "that vendor" decides to make claims & post indirectly related data-logs

Old 04-17-2005 | 03:44 PM
REDWORF
|
2nd Gear
Scoop Scoop 2

Living in Southern California I am not too worried about ice and snow but your point is well taken as is the comment about the possible influx of rain water. I am guessing that one would gets some of that even with the stock cowl vent, at least a low speeds or when parked. I am considering cutting the "snorkle" back a little further and installing a baffle that will allow air to circulate around to the air cleaner but will (hopefull) condense water out and induce it to drip straight down. I am guessing that this will now require a drain port and drip tube from the bottom of the stock air box that supports the Alta CAI.

Man, its always something.

KFD

Old 04-17-2005 | 04:16 PM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
I would be to worried about water Looks very good, i know cat dog racing has a version

Old 04-17-2005 | 04:17 PM
minimc
5th Gear

Last edited by minimc; 04-17-2005 at 04:44 PM. Reason: misread - Alta intake.
Old 04-17-2005 | 04:57 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by REDWORF
Living in Southern California I am not too worried about ice and snow but your point is well taken as is the comment about the possible influx of rain water. I am guessing that one would gets some of that even with the stock cowl vent, at least a low speeds or when parked. I am considering cutting the "snorkle" back a little further and installing a baffle that will allow air to circulate around to the air cleaner but will (hopefull) condense water out and induce it to drip straight down. I am guessing that this will now require a drain port and drip tube from the bottom of the stock air box that supports the Alta CAI.

Man, its always something.

KFD
Thats how the stock cooper intake deals with water since it gets its air from the front grill....there is a 'J' shaped baffle where water collects.
:smile:

Old 04-18-2005 | 12:38 AM
BaldBikerGuy
Banned
My recently installed scoops...

A "little" pricey, considering they need to be painted and all but well worth it for both the look and the air flow

Attached Thumbnails The Scoop on Scoops-scoops.jpg  
Old 04-18-2005 | 05:20 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
What does the passenger side air vent feed?