Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Question for those with white taillights (pre-'05)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 06:02 PM
Calvin77
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for those with white taillights (pre-'05)

Here's the thing: When I installed my white taillights originally, I installed them without the OEM "wiring harness" and just did the paperclip taillight mod to get the upper fogs to light up. I was under the impression that the separate wiring harness did two things: 1.) Light up the rear fogs along with the brakes and 2.) Make the brake lights brighter by increasing the voltage.

Anyway, a few days ago I took my car to my local shop for an exhaust install and decided to have the wiring harness installed (and the paperclip mod removed, thinking the new harness would take care of that.) However, now my fog lights don't light up anymore when I press the brake.

So my question is, what exactly does the wiring harness do? Is it not supposed to activate the rear fogs along with the brakes?

And a second question, my right brake light has been burned out since before the recent wiring harness install. The weird thing was, I had the paperclip mod installed back then and when I pressed the brake, neither the lower brake light nor the upper fog light would come on, as if they had both burned out. Might it be because with the brake light burned out, the upper fog light was not receiving current?

Anyway, nobody seems to know where I can get the white taillight replacement bulbs, and to make matters worse, I've heard that all three bulbs are soldered into the light bracket. Any truth to this? And do I need to go to the dealer to get the bulb(s) replaced?

Any info would be highly appreciated..
Thanks

p.s.: Lets not turn this into a "why I don't like white taillights" thread

Old 04-26-2005, 06:35 PM
BaldBikerGuy
Banned
I'm not exactly sure but I think the wiring harness disables the rear fog or in some way dims them. I have the harness installed in my MCS (no rear fogs) and the "paperclip mod" also installed but I noticed that I only had to do this to one side to have both sides light up with the brake.

On my MC I have the tails with no harness, only change is that I had to do the mod on both sides.

On to the bulbs, yes they are soldered to the bracket...sux and expensive to replace. I used my old rails with LED lights I purchased (buy good ones if you do this, cheap ones don't have the coverage www.ledtronics.com ) they work great, plus I have the way cool fast blinkers. On my MC I'm still using the factory light bar until one burns out and then I'll do the LED upgrade also. If you don't want to go to the expense of LED lights you can just find a stock tail light bar and install new lights, remember, red/yellow ones will show through your tails so you'll need to find the silver coated ones (LEDs are clear until lit).

Hope this helps

Old 04-27-2005, 02:30 AM
Calvin77
5th Gear
Thanks, that does help.

By the way, do you know how much it is to replace the bulb bracket at the dealer when one burs out? (If I went stock as opposed to LED)