Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Black tail lights from mossmini on PS/B

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005 | 06:15 PM
LordOfTheFlies
|
6th Gear
Black tail lights from mossmini on PS/B

Just installed these black altezza taillights from mossmini.com.

Whatcha think?

Attached Thumbnails Black tail lights from mossmini on PS/B-backview.jpg  
Old 05-17-2005 | 06:17 PM
LordOfTheFlies
|
6th Gear
A few more pics.

Attached Thumbnails Black tail lights from mossmini on PS/B-black.jpg  
Old 05-17-2005 | 06:18 PM
LordOfTheFlies
|
6th Gear
And finally a sunset in Brooklyn........

Old 05-17-2005 | 06:28 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
I like em. If you wanted to save money though, have you thought about painting your stock lights? I'm not sure about MINI lights, but we have taken apart the lights on out EVO to paint them. Was pretty easy and they look really good. You just have to take your time.

Old 05-17-2005 | 06:30 PM
LordOfTheFlies
|
6th Gear
I spent $120 on 'em. If you get 'em from mossmini.com, it would have been over $250...except they won't sell them anymore...Something about them not being DOT approved I think.......

Old 05-17-2005 | 06:39 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
That's not bad. $250 would have made me think about trying it myself, but for that price, and the time involved in painting them yourself, I think that's good. I wonder what about them is not DOT approved?

Old 05-17-2005 | 07:09 PM
minicoop78
4th Gear
Tuls and I pulled mine apart and painted them they look really cool

Old 05-17-2005 | 07:18 PM
soofle
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MandaBoo
That's not bad. $250 would have made me think about trying it myself, but for that price, and the time involved in painting them yourself, I think that's good. I wonder what about them is not DOT approved?
Generally speaking getting DOT approval on lighting is time consuming and expensive for manufacturers. Thats why just about every aftermarket taillight set, headlight conversion, side markers, high wattage bulb, driving lamps, fog lamps, etc. says "For Off Road Use Only" on the package. To get the approval would mean higher production costs and higher shelf prices. Depending on what state your in the fine for "Improper auxiliary lighting" is around 60 bucks with no points since its an equipment violation not a moving violation. Im not sure if tail and headlights count as auxiliary lighting though and if not i couldnt say what the fine would be for getting caught w/o that little DOT stamp

Old 05-17-2005 | 07:27 PM
Electron_Mike
3rd Gear
Look good. I've got the clear ones.

Old 05-17-2005 | 07:40 PM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
Nice!

Old 05-17-2005 | 08:56 PM
MiniDrew
2nd Gear
I've been drooling over those for awhile, but the price was too high. Where did you get them for $120????

Old 05-17-2005 | 09:02 PM
YYC
4th Gear
They look great!! The "Not Available" at mossmini.com brings tears to my eyes!

Old 05-18-2005 | 04:59 AM
LordOfTheFlies
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniDrew
I've been drooling over those for awhile, but the price was too high. Where did you get them for $120????
Ebay. I'm a little perturbed, though. Guy said they were "Brand new" and yet one arrived with some scuffing on the outer lens and a tiny crack that is clearly visible from a few feet away.

Asked the guy for a $25 refund as I think it's pretty fair..The other tailight was pristine....

I saw a guy with the clear ones up at MOT last year and noticed that there was quite a bit of dust build up INSIDE the lens....which kind of made me a bit hesitant to buy these as I have the Ultra side marker lenses (smoke) and had to return TWO of them due to leaks. My solution? I wrapped some black electrical tape around the seam....hopefully this will work out in the end.

$120 was shipped btw.

Old 05-18-2005 | 05:00 AM
LordOfTheFlies
|
6th Gear
I'll put it another way. $250+ for these lenses would NOT have been worth it.

Old 05-19-2005 | 06:50 AM
doomsdaybob
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minicoop78
Tuls and I pulled mine apart and painted them they look really cool
I got mine painted but haven't figured out what to use to seal and reassemble them? Any input?

Those do look nice, better then the 3D ones (my opinion only), anyone have the LED lights yet?

Old 05-19-2005 | 07:22 AM
BrianGoldbloom
2nd Gear
I've got the same lights. I like the look of them alot. I got them because they fit nicely into the color scheme of the car - red MCS with black roof. Unfortunately I will be removing them and returning to the stock lights. They have been on the car for about six months. Early on, the lenses started to develop a BUNCH of tiny cracks running diagonally across them. The last straw was when one of the lenses started turning milky. I'm not talking about moisture condensing inside the lens - the actual plastic is getting cloudy. Fortunately, Moss will refund my money (of course, I will have to pay shipping). Fun while they lasted.

Old 05-19-2005 | 07:35 AM
LordOfTheFlies
|
6th Gear
Wow that stinks. As I said earlier, I wasn't too pleased with the quality of the side marker lenses. Moss replaced them with no questions asked....but I sure hope these taillights last as they don't sell them anymore! Does anyone have any info on Ultra? Their product ideas seem pretty cool, but the products themselves are definitely not what I would call high quality...

Old 05-19-2005 | 07:36 AM
SumWon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BrianGoldbloom
I've got the same lights. I like the look of them alot. I got them because they fit nicely into the color scheme of the car - red MCS with black roof. Unfortunately I will be removing them and returning to the stock lights. They have been on the car for about six months. Early on, the lenses started to develop a BUNCH of tiny cracks running diagonally across them. The last straw was when one of the lenses started turning milky. I'm not talking about moisture condensing inside the lens - the actual plastic is getting cloudy. Fortunately, Moss will refund my money (of course, I will have to pay shipping). Fun while they lasted.
Wow, that sux. I have had mine on for 9 months and they were second hand, so they are even older than that. I personally have not had any such issues with mine and I love the way they look on my DS/B No more red **** cheeks for Bettie!

Old 05-19-2005 | 08:52 AM
LordOfTheFlies
|
6th Gear
Perhaps you tightened the bolt a bit too tight? I wonder what else could cause them to crack like that.

Old 05-19-2005 | 09:25 AM
BrianGoldbloom
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by LordOfTheFlies
Perhaps you tightened the bolt a bit too tight? I wonder what else could cause them to crack like that.
Could be, although I'm not guilty of that sort of thing alot. I'm more inclined to question the quality of the lights themselves. Immediately upon taking them out of the box when they arrived, my first impression was, "Hmmm, these look kind of cheap." For the price I was expecting something that would look at home on really expensive car.

There were visible gaps where the lens was cemented onto the body of the light (you can still see them in their installed position). Hard to describe, but the surface of the lens didn't look as glossy or as hard as the OEM lights. The cast plastic parts LOOK like plastic castings even from 10 feet away, instead of like a convincing rendition of machined parts. Side by side with the OEM, the Altezza was a cooler design (IMO) but the OEM was better made.

Old 05-19-2005 | 09:28 AM
JeffS
5th Gear
Could be, although I'm not guilty of that sort of thing alot. I'm more inclined to question the quality of the lights themselves. Immediately upon taking them out of the box when they arrived, my first impression was, "Hmmm, these look kind of cheap." For the price I was expecting something that would look at home on really expensive car.

Is there even such a thing as a well-made aftermarket light? In my experience, they're all cheaply made - and look it.

Old 05-19-2005 | 04:57 PM
DAVE!
3rd Gear
Oh come on JeffS, tell 'em what you really think

I like 'em...think they look good.

Dave.

Old 05-19-2005 | 05:05 PM
JeffS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DAVE!
Oh come on JeffS, tell 'em what you really think

I like 'em...think they look good.

Dave.
I think they look good too -- and while I would actually consider buying them I would expect them to be cheaply made and possibly expect to possibly be unhappy with them when I saw them in person.

Old 05-19-2005 | 05:10 PM
DAVE!
3rd Gear
I hear ya...I'm in the same boat...although they look great to me in pics...I just don't know how I'd react to them in person...aftermarket lights are one accessory that is hard to get right for many manufacturers in my opinion. I've seen lots of aftermarket lights in person after seeing them in pictures that I liked at first...but then, they made me want to puke. To each their own though.

Dave.

Old 06-15-2005 | 06:23 PM
LordOfTheFlies
|
6th Gear
Dude. I got the diagonal tiny cracks like two weeks after putting them on.

Offered at $85 including shipping to the first person that pm's me.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Black tail lights from mossmini on PS/B