Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior NEW DASH for TWISTER

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 09:32 AM
JeffS
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you get new parts, or did you have to send them yours for "immersion"?

Old 05-27-2005, 11:02 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I did get new parts so to speak. I have to send them my orginals as core parts.

Old 05-27-2005, 02:45 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TWISTER
I have to send them my orginals as core parts.
OMG even worse! I'm sorry but that is just highway robbery.......

Old 05-27-2005, 03:08 PM
Wenzor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Thameth
no need to rub salt in the wounds. its Twisters $ to spend.

Old 05-27-2005, 03:13 PM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It pays to have a website like GoMotoring.com to make deals with also.

Old 05-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Wenzor
no need to rub salt in the wounds. its Twisters $ to spend.
Of course, and i've seen people spend much more money on much worse. Just voicing an opinion.

If he likes it then thats great, but why go fake when real isn't that far out of reach. Again just an opinion, and you know how many of those go around.

Old 05-27-2005, 07:01 PM
haulin_oats
3rd Gear
dash looks good! I'd like to see a wood one they do

Old 05-28-2005, 12:02 AM
GRENDEL
3rd Gear
Looks good Twister. I was going to customize my dash. I heard (wives tales) of issues of removing the passenger side airbag cover (you might set it off kind of thing) Was it hard, was there an issue, what did you do to remove it? Thanks

Old 05-29-2005, 02:06 AM
fj0
5th Gear
Looks like the cubeinterior for the new BMW's.

I too think the price is a bit on the high side, but I'm glad you like it.

Old 05-29-2005, 02:54 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by haulin_oats
dash looks good! I'd like to see a wood one they do
Check it out for yourself (14 standard wood finishes to choose from)
http://www.elegantwooddesign.com/samplesofdipping.htm

They have a gallery with pics that look excellent.
Prices are OK for high quality.

If it's durable and you see the dash everyday and it makes you smile I'd say it's worth it.

Wood finish on a restored dash piece

Last edited by minihune; 05-29-2005 at 02:59 AM.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:12 AM
MGear
5th Gear
I have had several emails back and forth with the company Twister used for his dash pieces. These people know their stuff when it comes to real and fake composite fiber materials. They can do the real thing in either carbon fiber twill weave (the diagonial zig-zag pattern like the JCW kit comes in) or the plain weave (which is what Twister got). The twill weave seems to be the most popular in the states while the plain weave is more popular throughout Europe, oh they can also do carbon kevlar as well which usually comes in the plain weave pattern. Soon they will be able to do color matching too which is putting a dye in the resin or clear coat. The price for doing the real stuff is actually pretty expensive $1,250.00 versus what Twiester paid, around $600.00. Sounds like a good enough trade-off to me if you are looking to save some money and what that CF look. I know the JCW CF dash is $1,000.00 right, but I think the pattern is way too large and visually busy it's either the faux plain weave or the real plain weave for me. I don't need the JCW logo badge I already have that on my car and under hood. If I need reminding of what I have all I have to do is step on the peddle. Having a cf dashboard would sure be great

Since my own company "Scale Motorsport" is the largest supplier in the world for waterslid composite fiber decals, used in model car building, it's only fitting that I have a composite fiber dashboard don't you think?

Old 05-29-2005, 12:12 PM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-30-2005, 10:01 AM
FastLaneTuning
4th Gear
I'm sorry too, aren't ROTA's a knock-off wheel company for Mugen wheels? If he has a "knock-off" dash and you have (or had since you're selling them) "knock-off" wheels, which one of you is more "right," or is there such a thing?

The dash looks good, its a high quality process, and paying someone to do intricate work is ALWAYS worth the money. But then again, some people think buying the cheapest wheels on the market simply because they LOOK like JDM wheels for a Honda believe they are worth the money too, so its very possible that I could be wrong and you could be right.... if there is such a thing....

Old 05-30-2005, 10:17 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Looks good, Twister! And MGear, YES...you NEED a carbon fiber dash...most definitely!

Clover

Old 05-30-2005, 11:34 AM
mybroscoop
6th Gear
from what i understand wet immersion is different from a sticker, in wet immersion a film is layed on the surface of a large vat of water and the object that is having the pattern applied is brought from the bottom of the vat to the top and the film then sticks to the object. all of my info comes from a guy i know whose company does this and he has this on is wheels and it looks HOT! so it is not the same as the sticker crap, thus leading me to one of my favorite quotes "Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool then to speak and prove the others right" :smile:

Old 05-30-2005, 12:16 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like it a lot...and several nice alternate treatments from the company, too. I think it would also be good to carry the treatment to the door trim as MINI does w/ the body-colored dashes. That way the treatment is better integrated into the entire cabin space. Pity those door panels are such a bugger to dis-assemble....I hope someday MINI or the aftermarket (hint) gives us door panels that are easier to personalize.

Old 05-30-2005, 12:45 PM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
That looks Great!

Old 05-30-2005, 01:28 PM
ncdave
5th Gear
Looks Fantastic!

Old 05-30-2005, 01:36 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GRENDEL
Looks good Twister. I was going to customize my dash. I heard (wives tales) of issues of removing the passenger side airbag cover (you might set it off kind of thing) Was it hard, was there an issue, what did you do to remove it? Thanks
what year is yours? in an 05, the air bag cover just pops out like the rest of the dash, you dont even need to remove the dash top. i could be wrong, but last time i had my dash out, it looks like the 05's have an airbag that come out of the top of the dash and not the front like in previous years.

Old 05-31-2005, 05:57 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by FastLaneTuning
I'm sorry too, aren't ROTA's a knock-off wheel company for Mugen wheels? If he has a "knock-off" dash and you have (or had since you're selling them) "knock-off" wheels, which one of you is more "right," or is there such a thing?

The dash looks good, its a high quality process, and paying someone to do intricate work is ALWAYS worth the money. But then again, some people think buying the cheapest wheels on the market simply because they LOOK like JDM wheels for a Honda believe they are worth the money too, so its very possible that I could be wrong and you could be right.... if there is such a thing....
Boy someone's just a little full of .....

At least my wheels are functional and honestly i don't care what other wheel they look like because i don't have them for looks. Their lightweight wheels i use for autocross/track and their INEXPENSIVE.

You either buy Carbon fiber for the look or the Function (i.e. lightweight) and paying so much for an elaborate "sticker" does neither. You can spot fake CF a mile away and it usually loses people alot of respect.

Old 05-31-2005, 06:47 AM
FastLaneTuning
4th Gear
At least my wheels are functional .... Their lightweight wheels i use for autocross/track and their INEXPENSIVE.
Functional.... Lightweight.... I'll be so kind as to give you both. But how functional are lightweight wheels when they crack? Apparently you don't understand the concept of forged or semi-forged wheels, which ROTAs most certainly are not - the fact that a cheap aluminum wheel is made the way these are made allows for much stress on the wheels, and allows for cracking and breaking. I had a set of Racing Harts on my last car and a decent sized pot hole at 30mph turned one into garbage, something that would just about never happen to my RAYS.

Without getting too far off topic, how are your wheels which I grant you being functional and lightweight unlike his dash which is neither functional or lightweight (because it isn't "TRUE" C/F.... ) because your wheels are knock-offs that could potentially leave you stranded. He paid more for less, and you paid less for less, and his purchase will never leave him in a bad position.

You either buy Carbon fiber for the look or the Function (i.e. lightweight) and paying so much for an elaborate "sticker" does neither. You can spot fake CF a mile away and it usually loses people alot of respect.
Now this is just absurd. You must be one of those guys who buys and makes everything they can in C/F just to say your car weights less than everyone elses. I remember seeing a guy once who carbon wrapped his rear trunklid thing, you know, the thing that goes up when you open the boot inside the car? He claimed that he was all super lightweight until people reminded him that he in fact ADDED weight by covering the piece in C/F instead of replacing it.

The argument is null and void because there is no point to conversing whether or not TWISTER added weight or lost weight with a DASH COVER. I'll bet dollars to dimes that he added LESS weight with this wet immersion process than if he stuck on some carbon fiber panels.... as if .0023432 of a pound makes a whole lot of difference on the track!

Sure, you can spot this from a mile away, I'm willing to bet that the pictures don't do this justice and we should wait until we see these pieces in person before jumping all over him for it. Have you ever seen the dash of an Integra Type-R? Hideous, absolutely hideous, because Honda used a paint process to "paint on" carbon fiber to the trim pieces in the dash. Is there a comparison between the ITR and this, sure, they both are not using "REAL" carbon fiber. Do they look the same in real life, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

And by the way, in case anyone thinks they enjoy carbon fiber more than I do, you're probably wrong.... I don't see anyone else out there with a REAL carbon fiber wallet.... ohhh....! haha The topic of carbon fiber always cracks me up, because there are those that enjoy it, appreciate the process of doing it, and then there those that assume they know more than everyone else about it and try and prove their worth on the internet. I'd be interested in seeing how many people replicate my plans on PAINTING OVER the carbon bonnet and boot I have on order......... Whoa, talk about LIGHT WEIGHT!!!

Old 05-31-2005, 07:11 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Wow Fastlane you are TRULY full of crap......

Looks like your just mad you paid 3-4 times for your wheels (i'm happy for you that you have the wallet to afford RAYS )

You assume i haven't heard of the TWO Rota wheels that broke on a set of Subaru's..... Those were of course replaced imediately by Rota and the issue fixed. I have never heard of a wheel failure from Rota on anything other than those two Subaru's. So go spread your urban legends somewhere else..... Go play with some of the rest of the "elitest" MINI owners.

You will also never find Carbon fiber overlays on anything in or on my car. If it isn't a full replacement part then its useless and looks like crap. But i won't lie in saying that i don't like the look of CF as long as its REAL. Funny that you who are making fun of people for using overlays are defending an elaborate "sticker".

For the record i had let go of this thread and even said it was perfectly fine if the thread started wanted to throw $600 at this.

Old 05-31-2005, 07:29 AM
Wenzor
4th Gear
wow, NAM is turning into a war ground for every topic that comes up. With moderators' guidelines (see AGS heatshield) and un-friendly comments on parts some one buys (with their own money). When did NAM get so damn prissy?!

We are all proud of our cars. We all need to take a breath more and relize how to let things go.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:19 AM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you ever went to miataforum.net, you'd see why this place is so great. I get hugs for being scared of the dark If he took the chance of shipping it out there for it, and got it back and loved it, congrats! He got pretty lucky compared to my luck

I'm not a fan of "fake" CF, i love "real" CF, but just can't justify paying much for looks or weight savings. I have a mini, that's all the looks i need. And i have more weight savings than any mini driver on here, i bet. At 87 lbs, if i just removed the spare tire, it'd be about an even trade, and it would be like i wasn't even in the car

Old 05-31-2005, 08:37 AM
FastLaneTuning
4th Gear
Wow Fastlane you are TRULY full of crap......
Am I, or are you just one of those people who couldn't help but to put someone down for their decision? Are you full of crap, or am I just trying to defend a friend in his rightfully own decision?

Looks like your just mad you paid 3-4 times for your wheels (i'm happy for you that you have the wallet to afford RAYS )
I assume you don't know or haven't seen any post by me in the past. Both TWISTER and I do business in this industry. I [used to, until a few weeks ago] did the retail side of the aftermarket parts industry, TWISTER did the promotion. So, with that being said, how much do you REALLY think we pay to promote certain company's products on our cars? How much do you think my RAYS cost me? Considering you are selling those ROTAs for $500, I would say we're not all that far off..... deep pockets? I just graduate from college, smart guy....

So go spread your urban legends somewhere else..... Go play with some of the rest of the "elitest" MINI owners.
I assume you are referring to MSFITOY, El Diablo, and others. Sure, I know them, they're good people, but don't think for one second that we aren't moddest people even though we have extensive mods done to our cars. I have been in the business of helping others build their cars up for 3 years, which has done more to hinder my own progress than help it. So if you think that us "elitest" MINI owners don't care to help others and put them down for having less money, you are sadly mistaken.

The fact that I brought to light your knock-off wheels in this thread is to evidence the fact that you are insulting someone for their decision when you could have been much nicer about it and stated a simple opinion. You aren't that far off by having a related item on your car (or off it, whatever the situation is with your ROTAs), and by insulting TWISTER for his purchase, you are being hypocritical, something I have no patience for in life or online.

Full of crap still? Eh, that's your opinion, and you are always entitled to it....

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior NEW DASH for TWISTER