Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Colored Tach and Speedo

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005 | 04:37 AM
Battle Cattle
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tarzan
Is that a model year change, or a different country spec? My 2005 USA-spec MCS only has 1 lamp for turn the turn signals.
If your talking about the double arrows I changed it because I think it looks cleaner than just an outline of an arrow.

Originally Posted by Cooper S IRE
Could you tell us in some detail how you did this did you print the bezel out on plastic after scanning in the original bezel also would you share the paintshop file????
I would rather not do it... plus the files are WAY to big to put up on the internet... I would maybe consider it on a person to person basis...

-Josh

Old 07-14-2005 | 07:54 AM
fj0
5th Gear
Looking good but I'd like the symbols and numbers in white instead of silver/gray, and I have a centerspeedo as well.

Old 07-14-2005 | 08:00 AM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ahamos
Custom LED's? I smell a project...
http://miatadesign.com/

that's my old miata in the pictures :P

Old 07-15-2005 | 04:22 PM
Yellow_mini
2nd Gear
I just finished my custom colored tach. not terribly hard check it out and let me know what you think. (yellow doesn't look as good as i hoped) https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...0&ppuser=16230

Old 07-15-2005 | 08:41 PM
ahamos
Coordinator :: River City Minis
Originally Posted by Yellow_mini
I just finished my custom colored tach. not terribly hard check it out and let me know what you think. (yellow doesn't look as good as i hoped) https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...0&ppuser=16230
I'll have to show this to my dad. He has a LY/B MCS and wants to do exactly the same thing. I agree that it doesn't look as exciting as you'd hope, but maybe (God forbid) blacking out the bezel would sharpen it up.

Old 07-15-2005 | 08:44 PM
Battle Cattle
|
6th Gear
interesting... did you paint on the dial? If you didnt is that completely new or is it ontop of the factory one?

-Josh

Old 07-16-2005 | 12:02 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
face

when ur' ready 2 sell some let me know i've got some ideas as to what i want!!

Originally Posted by Battle Cattle
interesting... did you paint on the dial? If you didnt is that completely new or is it ontop of the factory one?

-Josh

Old 07-16-2005 | 06:32 AM
MiniRiderBill
2nd Gear
Needle removal.

I did a gauge face conversion on a Chevy S-10 a couple years ago and I used a fork to remove the needles. Worked really well and did not distort the needle. Realignment is criticle because your Speed will be off if it doesn't go back on exactly where it was. The speedo thing I think is called a potentiometer.(sp) I think, so alignment has to be exact.

[QUOTE=Battle Cattle]yea just stick a flathead screwdriver under it and it pops right off... first time its a bit harder than the rest...

Old 07-16-2005 | 06:36 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Looks great dude

I posted a while ago with my idea to create vinyl color colors for the gauges. I'm still working on making vector files so that i can give them to a sign company for the making. The numbers could be cut out and they would just stick right on top of the gauge face...things like checkers or Union jacks could be made as well sicne its just vinyl.

Keep up the great work

Old 07-16-2005 | 01:10 PM
Yellow_mini
2nd Gear

-Josh
No paint, I took took apart the tachometer, scanned the silver gauge background stuff, Deleted or erased all the numbers and areas I wanted to be able to show through, and printed it onto transperancy paper. It was fairly easy took me about 2hrs. and I'm not very good with the photo program. Just make sure if you scan it you have a colored piece of paper behind that way when it scans the image will be the size of a sheet of paper. This makes it so that when you print it out it is the right size. Probably some other ways to ensure correct scale, but like I said I'm no computer wiz.
And the silver part is still on there behind the yellow transparency.

Old 07-16-2005 | 02:40 PM
ahamos
No paint, I took took apart the tachometer, scanned the silver gauge background stuff, Deleted or erased all the numbers and areas I wanted to be able to show through, and printed it onto transperancy paper. It was fairly easy took me about 2hrs. and I'm not very good with the photo program. Just make sure if you scan it you have a colored piece of paper behind that way when it scans the image will be the size of a sheet of paper. This makes it so that when you print it out it is the right size. Probably some other ways to ensure correct scale, but like I said I'm no computer wiz.
And the silver part is still on there behind the yellow transparency.
The only way to ensure correct scale is to take it to a printing company. Printers, just like copiers, in the US are legally required to not produce 1:1 copies. This prevents successful counterfeiting. Plotters are not subject to this, nor are the commercial systems used by printing companies.

Your best bet, short of paying someone, is to either live with the slight registration problems or hand-cut the gauges.

Old 07-16-2005 | 02:49 PM
Yellow_mini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ahamos
The only way to ensure correct scale is to take it to a printing company. Printers, just like copiers, in the US are legally required to not produce 1:1 copies. This prevents successful counterfeiting. Plotters are not subject to this, nor are the commercial systems used by printing companies.

Your best bet, short of paying someone, is to either live with the slight registration problems or hand-cut the gauges.
Well my copy worked excellent maybe not 1:1 but 1:.999 if you do it right the scale will be correct. I only had to cut the outside circle nothing on the inside. The missed lines are my mistake in the computer program deleting too much. Not the printer. Maybe if you scan it then print not actually copy?

Old 07-16-2005 | 07:47 PM
ahamos
Well my copy worked excellent maybe not 1:1 but 1:.999 if you do it right the scale will be correct. I only had to cut the outside circle nothing on the inside. The missed lines are my mistake in the computer program deleting too much. Not the printer. Maybe if you scan it then print not actually copy?
No, the same problem would exist. However, for the size of the tach, it would really be a minor inconsistency. The speedo might show more of a registration issue, at least for those of us with out NAV.

Old 07-17-2005 | 04:21 AM
Profpatpending
3rd Gear
If your talking about the double arrows I changed it because I think it looks cleaner than just an outline of an arrow.

I would rather not do it... plus the files are WAY to big to put up on the internet... I would maybe consider it on a person to person basis...

-Josh
could I please request a copy of the photoshop files???