Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Seat Covers - sheepskin or Wet Okoles?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 03:09 PM
scarlett omini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nike61, those seatcovers are SWEEET! I'm definately interested. All I need to know is if they can make a pair for a 2005 MC. I need the cutout on the doorside for the airbags.

Tomorrow is my birthday--I think I've found just the right present to give to myself.

Old 07-30-2005, 04:38 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by loxycoon
Well, I can only tell you that once I got those things on, there is no way I am taking them off at ANY time in the near future. I know people have said it is easy, but it was a fight for me the whole way. They are difficult to put on only because all of the straps that hold them on go beneath the seat - and you need to feed them in between the actual seat and the plastic moudling/housing. Go ahead - try to get your hand in between that and you'll see what I mean! It ended up being a joint effort between myself and my boyfriend to get them on. Only the seat bottoms as tough - the backs and headrests were easy. Now that I know how they go on, it would probably be a little easier, but...

I don't think I'd worry about them getting sweaty. It's been nearly 100 degrees here the last few days (except for today) and I never felt that they were uncomfortable. They are made from neoprene, which is waterproof. My guess is that if you sweat too much, you could just towel dry the seat and be fine, since the seat won't absorb it.

If you want to see some great looking Wet Okoles, mmatarella has his as part of his sig file (Black/Red covers). They look way cooler than mine. And I've seen Wagnbat post some pics of his in other Wet Okole threads - the same colors as mine, but with a stylized bat logo.
Well... When I said it was easy, I mean concept wise. Getting the side to side strap underneath the seats certainly was a challenge. I ended up going around the back. And just like Loxy, I was installing in 100 degree heat, outside. I didn't have enough patience to properly fish the straps through the 'not so ample' space under the Mini's seats, but they're on, and they don't move.

And as for the sweat and neophrene. Wet Okole sells, and you can get from a local surf/dive shop, neoprene shampoo's & deoderizers.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Mineon
4th Gear
Ok, so once they're on, they're on, no easy R&R. I guess two seat covers up front would look better than just one as well. I really only have to worry about sweating up the seats badly about 4 months during the summer, so I might just put a towel over the seat when I drive.

Thanks for the pics and info on the Wet Okoles

-Keith

Old 08-16-2005, 08:58 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, that's me

:smile: We've had quite the heat wave round here the past few weeks. I've got a convert and on our clubs drive last weekend it was mid 90's and high humidty. Heat index around 110 and sunny. After our lunch I finally gave in a put up the top and the ac on. My back wasn't damp. Other parts like face and such but the covers breath pretty well. They have nylon bound to them and are cool in hot weather.

They do sell cleaners and protectant. I managed to get my backs pretty dirty with the top down all the time. Just turning grey from air born gunk, not spots. I used Wet Okoles shampoo by hand and my home carpet steam cleaner to pull up the water. A shop vac / wet vac would do as well.

I give them a thumbs up. Installing the fronts is much easier if you raise the seats all the way up. Once you do that it makes it drastically easier to access the side of the seat and get the cover tucked under the trim, and easier to do the straps too.

Originally Posted by loxycoon
If you want to see some great looking Wet Okoles, mmatarella has his as part of his sig file (Black/Red covers). They look way cooler than mine. And I've seen Wagnbat post some pics of his in other Wet Okole threads - the same colors as mine, but with a stylized bat logo.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:48 PM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mineon
Ok, so once they're on, they're on, no easy R&R. I guess two seat covers up front would look better than just one as well. I really only have to worry about sweating up the seats badly about 4 months during the summer, so I might just put a towel over the seat when I drive.

Thanks for the pics and info on the Wet Okoles

-Keith
I know this is reaching 4 years into the past, but I bought an '09 Mini with leatherette and while I love to get IN my Mini for a drive, I also can't wait to get OUT of it because I sweat so much on the seats.

So, Mineon...what was the verdict on the Wet Okoles? Did they solve the sweat/discomfort problem?

Thanks...

Old 08-08-2009, 06:09 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Moss Mini version of wet okoles, they are from Cover King.
They are very nice both from the comfort and looks (also less expensive than wet okoles).
Either is great.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:13 PM
playtowin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by wsalopek
I know this is reaching 4 years into the past, but I bought an '09 Mini with leatherette and while I love to get IN my Mini for a drive, I also can't wait to get OUT of it because I sweat so much on the seats.

So, Mineon...what was the verdict on the Wet Okoles? Did they solve the sweat/discomfort problem?

Thanks...
I have had Wet Okoles for about a year now. I was a little dissappointed when I first got them because I expected them to eliminate the sweating. They are definitely better than the leatherette but they do not completely eliminate it. Also, be prepared for the neoprene smell to last about a month.

I'm happy with them now. They are comfortable, hold up very well, and I try to stay ahead of the sweating by cranking up the air conditioning for a little while at the start of a ride on hot days.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:10 PM
KooperTroopa
1st Gear
My dad had sheepskin seat covers in his old 2002 BMW, they made me sneeze something horrible everytime I was in that car for an extended period of time. Just something to be mindful of .

Old 08-11-2009, 08:20 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The pros and cons of the Okoles are.......they are great at protecting the seats from everything including moisture. But, they do not help with your sweating. Because they are a neoprene they will not absorb moisture.

Sheepskins are the best for taking moisture away from you, but you have to make sure you have them cleaned regularly or they will start smelling.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:22 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Ya, I'm in Guam now and it's 95 here daily. My back still sweats against the neoprene. Still love my Wet Okeles though... And even got the wife a set for her 2007 Jeep Wrangler.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:37 PM
batrugger
5th Gear
We got the sheepskin center covers from Autoanything.com for our leather seats and they are great:

Name:  interior_42.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  93.2 KB

No sweating issues at all and no smell. They are very comfortable in hot and cold. They are the same ones that MC2 had in their project R53

Old 08-12-2009, 04:02 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
I too have the Moss / CoverKing neoprenes and like them very much. Especially the price.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:40 PM
ellcapitan
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ron-s mini
I too have the Moss / CoverKing neoprenes and like them very much. Especially the price.
Just ordered a pair of these myself. Are they as good as the Wet Okoles?

I've had cheap eBay neoprene coveres a while back on a previous car of mine. I absolutely hated them. They were so hot in the summer, they made my back feel like it was ON FIRE! And, they were universal, so they didn't fit very well either to begin with...which became worse as the seat-bottom cover would always slide forward. They quickly found a happy home....in the trash.

I can vouch for sheepskin though! I had a pair of these (from sheepskin.com)in my old Miata. They were absolutely wonderful...if you're okay with the fluffy look, and the slight farm-like aroma. In summer, you won't sweat nearly as much (though they still feel hot), and in winter, you won't find any need for seat heaters (which I did not have in that car...so, I don't know if they'd even work through these very thick, high-quality covers). A couple of tips reguarding sheepskin: Pay more for better covers...the cheapos are made from small patches of pelt, which will not hold together like whole-pelt ones. And of course, NEVER get synthetic "sheepskin"...at least for the seating surface-areas...you'll HATE LIFE if you do!

BTW, does your Moss/Coverking covers have pockets behind them? (I didn't see seat-back pockets mentioned either way on Moss.) (Wet Okole offers them as an option...)

Old 07-25-2010, 06:12 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ellcapitan
Are they as good as the Wet Okoles?

BTW, does your Moss/Coverking covers have pockets behind them? (I didn't see seat-back pockets mentioned either way on Moss.) (Wet Okole offers them as an option...)
Not sure if they are the same as Wet Okoles but they have held up very well for the two years I have had them. They look new.
Yes they do have seat back pockets.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:10 PM
ellcapitan
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nike61
This may help. I know I am in Perth, Western Australia, but I buy lots of stuff from USA due to exchange rate, so you may also benefit. Attached is photos of my covers, these are genuine sheepskin on front with acrylic back, but undercovers is a protection backing in order not to damage the leater or cloth seats.

This company provide all covers to the local mini dealer and they are approved for the side air bags. Normal dealer price per pair is AUD$495 however, direct from supplier is about AUD$300.
Link to supplier attached. [under Gallery/Coupe number 659]

http://www.prestige-sheepskin.com.au...list.php?gid=3

I could arrange a group buy for USA if required.

These are really nice! I wouldn't mind looking into these too, but the link no longer works. Going directly to that site, seems to no longer yeild anything along the lines of these covers either, with the two-tone colors. ...Not to mention, their all-sheepskin covers pricing is just silly-high!! (Combo-material seems to be no longer available.)

Old 08-21-2010, 08:54 PM
LUCYBUG
1st Gear
I like the gun holster option on the WO covers. Perfect place for your CCW weapon.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:48 AM
mrwonder
3rd Gear
I got mine from Japan:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ana-japan.html

They are PVC, fit quite well and I love the funky design!