Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Seat Covers - sheepskin or Wet Okoles?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 08:45 AM
dami
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat Covers - sheepskin or Wet Okoles?

OK, I was stupid enough not to order my 2004 MCS with cloth seats (was afraid of too much cat hair to be stuck in those, after having VW Jetta with velour seats - it was insane), got leatherettes and now I'm regretting big time.
Main problem - my back sweats like no tomorrow. While it's fairly OK during winter time (except for 1-2 mins until seat heaters kick in), summer time is a b|tch.
So, I have to alternatives - Wet Okoles, which are neoprene, and good sheepskin covers.

Positive side for WO - looks nice, no cat hair, easy to take care of.
I do not know if it's any better than leatherette since it's doesn't "breathe". I don't mind heat/cold that much, but during summer time (it's going to be 100F this weekend in Chicago) it's hard. I love driving with windows open and no AC, but with leatherettes it's hard because my back is always wet.

Positive side for sheepskin - nice feeling, definitely don't sweat that much, if at all. Problem is those don't look too nice and can't wash them so "maintenance" is harder.

Both cost the same - $229 for front WO, and $230 for sheepskin from http://www.sheepskin.com. Both are side airbag compatible.
Positive side about sheepskin is I can take those out when I switch to a different car in about a year.

What do you guys think? I'd go with WOs, but I'm afraid of same effect as with leatherettes. Asking WO questions didn't help much, they all say about covers don't transfer heat and stuff, but noone can give me answers about sweat problem.

Old 07-19-2005, 08:55 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wetokole.com

You wont regret those

Old 07-19-2005, 09:15 AM
dami
1st Gear
Besides, I didn't mention that I don't care about the seats themselves, the only reason I'm putting covers on is for my wet back and my comfort, not so much for the looks or saving the original seats.
I bet sheepskin is more comfy than wet okoles.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:16 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Just remember that two of the airbags are actually in the seats! I think (not sure) that the Okoles will work with that. Something to consider...:smile:

Clover

Old 07-19-2005, 09:17 AM
dami
1st Gear
Couldn't care less about the airbags. And yes, both Wet Okoles and those sheepskin work with side airbags.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:19 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by dami
Couldn't care less about the airbags. And yes, both Wet Okoles and those sheepskin work with side airbags.
Which brand of sheepskins? (You'll care about the airbags if you're ever involved in an accident, dami!) Got a link to them? :smile:

Clover

Old 07-19-2005, 09:45 AM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Check out summerseats.

http://www.wwtgroup.com/summerseat/

Just trying to find a place to see/buy them.

Paul

Old 07-19-2005, 10:00 AM
dami
1st Gear
Old 07-19-2005, 10:28 AM
CoryB
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put Wet Okole covers on vinyl seats in my Jeep. They were MUCH more comfortable and cooler than the vinyl but, being neoprene, you're still going to sweat some.

I haven't ever tried good sheepskin covers so I can't comment to those.

Old 07-19-2005, 12:52 PM
dami
1st Gear
Oh well, went with Sheepskin covers, $252 shipped. I'll post pictures when I get it.

Old 07-19-2005, 01:32 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Oh well, went with Sheepskin covers, $252 shipped. I'll post pictures when I get it.
Very nice! I think that's a good deal for good quality! And I am pleased to see that they've been modified to accommodate side airbags! YAY!

Thanks for posting the link, too!

Clover

Old 07-19-2005, 02:10 PM
eVal
6th Gear
I see you've placed you order already, but just FYI, if they have the sheepskin "seat vests" available they work really well. The only fit over the center of the seat and, in adiition to being cheaper, they look a bit more streamlined then fully fuzzy chairs. I had them on another car (they were actually an BMW OEM E46 item that matched the leather) and they were great

Old 07-19-2005, 03:52 PM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Just pick the covers you like best and get rid of the cat.

Old 07-19-2005, 04:02 PM
scarlett omini
2nd Gear
Forget those $230 sheepskin covers from that company--I tried them back in April and they were WAAAAY to large for the MINI seat. I kid you not, they did not fit. I'm now trying out the custom made seats (at twice the price ), so keep your fingers crossed.

Old 07-20-2005, 07:02 AM
dami
1st Gear
well, I checked that they do have a return policy, so if those don't fit, I'll return 'em.

Even though they have "configurator" and MINI listed (mini, actually), and that's what they recommend.

Good thing about them - shipped same day (yesterday), unfortunately only going to be here monday 7/25.

Old 07-20-2005, 02:17 PM
scarlett omini
2nd Gear
Oh yeah, I returned mine too. Paid $32 for shipping and I got a refund on the price of the covers only, so I was out around $60 overall. They really need to take MINI out of their configurator.

Oh, and if you ordered Burgundy, those are probably the ones I returned. Ha!

Old 07-20-2005, 08:26 PM
dami
1st Gear
scarlett:

nah, mine are charcoal.

Will see. I have a friend who's professional taylor, maybe she can readjust those for me.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:38 PM
dami
1st Gear
OK, got the sheepskin covers.
Unfortunately my camera broke so no pix.

They're charcoal color, looks grey. Material is very nice, and actually fits perfectly fine. Top tover doesn't cover all seat so you can access rear pocket. Slight problem with bottom part, it's too think on sides so putting on seatbelt is a little bit harder, so is seat movement.

Unfortunately, it didn't help with cooling - while I didn't sweat as much as with leatherette, you definitely feel covers are a lot warmer.

So I'm returning those.

Found some others, http://www.covercraft.com/seatgloves%99.htm

$120, free shipping. Going to check those out.

Old 07-27-2005, 02:06 PM
doomsdaybob
4th Gear
After watching the Discovery Channel last night and seeing that you can launch 55gal plastic barrels w/ airbags I'm not sure I'd be comfortable w/ these.

Especially after reading the airbag warning at the top of the application page. Funny, alot of those cars listed have side airbags but they warn against use w/ seat mounted side airbags.

Old 07-27-2005, 03:25 PM
markbradford
5th Gear
I do not know if it's any better than leatherette since it's doesn't "breathe". I don't mind heat/cold that much, but during summer time (it's going to be 100F this weekend in Chicago) it's hard. I love driving with windows open and no AC, but with leatherettes it's hard because my back is always wet.
nsfer heat and stuff, but noone can give me answers about sweat problem.
It was DISGUSTING this weekend. I was at the Phil Wicks event in Joliet and it was 100-110 on Sunday. My back was drenched all weekend. I can't stand the leatherette in my new Mini. It looks nice (two tone grey and black) but they didn't even perforate the seating surface!

I'm leaning towards Wet Okoles at this point but haven't brought myself to pull the trigger just yet...

Old 07-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Mineon
4th Gear
Does anyone know if there is any way I can order just one Wet Okole seat cover, just for the driver's seat. Our Mini Cooper will only have one person in it 95% of the time, and I'd just as soon not pay for a passenger side seat cover I'll never use.

I've got a very physically strenuous job and I'm drenched with sweat when I get off work in the summer. I'd just as soon not lose the new car smell in a few weeks due to a sweat soaked driver's seat, and the airbags in the seat obviously prevent me from using any generic seat covers.

-Keith

Old 07-27-2005, 06:50 PM
loxycoon
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mineon
Does anyone know if there is any way I can order just one Wet Okole seat cover, just for the driver's seat. Our Mini Cooper will only have one person in it 95% of the time, and I'd just as soon not pay for a passenger side seat cover I'll never use.
-Keith
Well, I'm very certain they will sell you only one seat cover for the price of two But I'm pretty sure they won't sell you just one. You could go in with someone else, but the seat covers have the cutouts for the airbags, so the other person you go in on it with could only use it for their passenger side seat.

Seriously - Wet Okoles are somewhat expensive, but they really last (at least the ones in my brother's Honda Insight have been kicking along for over 5 years now) and look and fit great. I ordered mine as soon as I put my order in for my MINI. I need to take another picture, but this was the day I put them on (the day after delivery). I forgot to tuck in the bottom portion of the covers into the plastic seat moulding... so they look a little untidy. I went for the very subtle look, but if you have a MINI in Chile Red or Liquid Yellow, wow! Matching seat covers look great.

Mine are in black with charcoal gray interior (though these photos seem to lighten the color a good bit, they are darker in person)

Attached Thumbnails Seat Covers - sheepskin or Wet Okoles?-hpim0838-1.jpg   Seat Covers - sheepskin or Wet Okoles?-hpim0839-1.jpg  
Old 07-28-2005, 12:57 PM
Mineon
4th Gear
Thanks for the pics, loxycoon, they look great. I'll probably just go ahead and get them soon. I have no problem paying a higher price for higher quality, but it bugs me somewhat to pay for something I'll never use. Oh well....

How long does it take to remove and replace the Wet Okole seat covers? There will be times my wife and I will both be using our MC for a daily driver (I work nights, she works days), and she'll probably want to remove the sweaty seat covers for her commute.

-Keith

Old 07-28-2005, 01:30 PM
loxycoon
3rd Gear
Well, I can only tell you that once I got those things on, there is no way I am taking them off at ANY time in the near future. I know people have said it is easy, but it was a fight for me the whole way. They are difficult to put on only because all of the straps that hold them on go beneath the seat - and you need to feed them in between the actual seat and the plastic moudling/housing. Go ahead - try to get your hand in between that and you'll see what I mean! It ended up being a joint effort between myself and my boyfriend to get them on. Only the seat bottoms as tough - the backs and headrests were easy. Now that I know how they go on, it would probably be a little easier, but...

I don't think I'd worry about them getting sweaty. It's been nearly 100 degrees here the last few days (except for today) and I never felt that they were uncomfortable. They are made from neoprene, which is waterproof. My guess is that if you sweat too much, you could just towel dry the seat and be fine, since the seat won't absorb it.

If you want to see some great looking Wet Okoles, mmatarella has his as part of his sig file (Black/Red covers). They look way cooler than mine. And I've seen Wagnbat post some pics of his in other Wet Okole threads - the same colors as mine, but with a stylized bat logo.

Old 07-28-2005, 05:41 PM
nike61
1st Gear
This may help. I know I am in Perth, Western Australia, but I buy lots of stuff from USA due to exchange rate, so you may also benefit. Attached is photos of my covers, these are genuine sheepskin on front with acrylic back, but undercovers is a protection backing in order not to damage the leater or cloth seats.

This company provide all covers to the local mini dealer and they are approved for the side air bags. Normal dealer price per pair is AUD$495 however, direct from supplier is about AUD$300.
Link to supplier attached. [under Gallery/Coupe number 659]

http://www.prestige-sheepskin.com.au...list.php?gid=3

I could arrange a group buy for USA if required.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Seat Covers - sheepskin or Wet Okoles?