Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Advice for aggressive-izing my front end

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 01:51 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Advice for aggressive-izing my front end

I don't want my PW/B MCS to be so darn cute, and am considering my options (listed from least expensive/complicated to most). Any advice for me?

Option 1: Change out my 04 chrome surround for the cleaner, simpler 05 chrome. Does anyone know for sure if the 05 fits on an 04?

Option 2: Add the aero kit grilles (with painted surrounds). I like this look, especially the top grille, but the issues with fitting the lower grille into a regular S bumper are a drawback.

Option 3: Add M7 Ultimate grilles. I like em, but I don't like the fact that there is no trim around them. I can add my chrome, but don't think I'll like that look too much - I'd rather have body-color trim.

Option 4: Add the whole aero kit front end. The most expensive option (anyone know how much total?), but maybe the best looking. Has anyone added only the front end of the aero kit? Also, how much lower is it than stock?

Other options?? Thanks!

Old 07-20-2005, 02:01 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get the whole aero kit, that will give you pretty aggressive look

Old 07-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Add black. I have a black scoop, black upper and lower grilles (factory grilles painted black), and black stripes. I find that people usually get out of my way in the fast lane.

Old 07-20-2005, 02:30 PM
Krassanova
4th Gear
I TOTALLY hear what you are saying about the "cute-factor."I have a Pure Silver MCS (same color roof) and nothing pisses me off more than hearing about how "cute" my "little car" is.

I think the most dramatic thing you can do to any car is to upgrade the wheels. I took off my stock s-lites and put some BBS RG-R's on and it immediately gave my MINI a growl.

I think you are on the right track with the de-chroming, and the grill. The body kit is expensive, will make the car look more aggressive, but I think there are other things you could do that will give you the effect you want. I am thinking about going further with the de-chroming by doing the headlight bezels, and replacing the plastic mesh parts in both bumpers with black metal mesh. I think that doing this with Pepper White would have the same effect as my Silver car.

Finally, have you given any thoughts to doing a graphics package? I had the standard v-shaped bonnet stripes on since I got the car...and they were "cute." I’m going to be doing a full on Viper Stripe from front to back over at the Webb motorsports pully party. I have some mockups on photoshop, and I can already tell that the stripes will give my car an appearance of greater length, more aggressiveness and IMO will help with the final transformation from cute to badass.

Old 07-20-2005, 02:45 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Here's what my car looks like now. I might take off the checkers and go with viper stripes to help out with the aggressive look.

I've considered wheels, but that leads to suspension changes which leads to adding some "go" to the "show" which leads to spending lots of dough ... it's a slippery slope that I'm going to avoid.

Old 07-20-2005, 03:11 PM
minimort
5th Gear
You could always do an offset racing stripe, that's always a good idea.

I know that a painted DS aero front bumper, shipped to me was only like $400 from classic, so it isn't so bad

Old 07-20-2005, 04:11 PM
Krassanova
4th Gear
I think the checkers look cool...are definitely unique, but are probably more fun than fight (if you can stomach my metaphors). If you like the vipers...then you and I have similar taste. I think Vipers done the right way are tough to beat.

I can't tell what kind of wheels you are running right now...it lookes like holeys??

Anyhow...you've got good potential to go aggressive with the black roof. The other black accents will tie in nicely...including the stripes, and WHEELS.

Going with a good aftermarket vendor that has the right offsets and sizes will not mess up your suspension at all. You should get wheels that ENHANCE your suspension setup (lighter and stronger) as well as look great. Volk wheels are expensive new, but are light, strong, and there are a couple what would look AWESOME with your ride. I think the LE37T or TE37T (I forget which) come in black, with the right offset, and would turn your cutie into a monster.

Check out the SHOW ME YOUR WHEELS thread if you haven't already. Some of those wheels are BUTT UGLY, others make your jaw drop because they look so great. Either way, it's proof positive that the wheels make the car.

Old 07-20-2005, 04:11 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minimort

I know that a painted DS aero front bumper, shipped to me was only like $400 from classic, so it isn't so bad
Not too bad at all. I'll have the trim around the grilles sanded and painted, which the dealer gave some crazy price for ($150 or something), but I'm sure a local shop could do it for less.

Did you install it yourself, or did you have a body shop do it?

Old 07-20-2005, 04:38 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
We added 18" wheels (better tires), tint, an aero grille, and a carbon fiber splitter from Peter at M7 Tuning. It really changed the car's look. That was after it received the John Cooper Works treatment, a Brembo braking system and H & R lowering springs.

If I only could choose a couple, for looks only, i'd pick the springs first, the wheels second, and the splitter third. Tint would be down the list.

I'll post a current pic when I get home. My sig images are dated.

Old 07-20-2005, 04:39 PM
minimort
5th Gear
I actually didn't "bite the bullet" yet, but I was planning on installnig it myself. I have taken the bumper off before and it takes like 15min to take off and put back on. Easy job to do if you've done it before. Other than that, I'd say it may take like 30min or so 1st time

Old 07-20-2005, 04:46 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Agreed. the bumper was far easier than I thought.

Jack up the car, or drive it up on some portable service ramps that you can buy at any AutoZone. Then, you just need a phillips screwdriver, a Torx T30 screwdriver, and both an 8 and 10 mm socket wrench. The motoringfile directions to do the aero grille mod (including the removal of the bumper) were satisfactorily explanatory to this novice car tinkerer.

The hardest part about modifying the aero grille to fit the bumper was the dremeling of the parts.

Old 07-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Krassanova
4th Gear
you made a good point about the tires...those runflats are dogs. I FINALLY replaced them last month....what a difference.

Originally Posted by JCW Driver
We added 18" wheels (better tires), tint, an aero grille, and a carbon fiber splitter from Peter at M7 Tuning. It really changed the car's look. That was after it received the John Cooper Works treatment, a Brembo braking system and H & R lowering springs.

If I only could choose a couple, for looks only, i'd pick the springs first, the wheels second, and the splitter third. Tint would be down the list.

I'll post a current pic when I get home. My sig images are dated.

Old 07-20-2005, 04:57 PM
Pir8 97
4th Gear
Yep, M7 cf splitter & aero grilles make BP's front look much more aggressive.

Old 07-20-2005, 05:18 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cute is not a bad thing, btw...

Mine has the full aero kit and IB/Blk, far from the colorful road candy...
but still cute looking. Doesn't bother me. :smile:

Old 07-20-2005, 05:46 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Pir8 97
Yep, M7 cf splitter & aero grilles make BP's front look much more aggressive.
That looks slick. If my MINI weren't a daily driver, the splitter would be on my list. I think they look awesome. But I'm sure it wouldn't last long driving 320 miles a week.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions - keep 'em coming! Also, does anyone have (or has anyone seen) a car with only the front of the aero kit? I'm concerned that it might look unbalanced from the side without out the lower skirts.

Old 07-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Krassanova
4th Gear
Hey bee...if you are considering doing a different graphics package, you should PM dragonflyer. He's coming out from Arizona for the Webb motors pulley party in August (27-28). I PM'd him a few weeks ago, and wasn't sure if I was even going to do the graphics, but after seeing the designs he came up with I was sold.
It's at Bimmers Clinic in Reseda http://www.bimmersclinicinc.com/

I'm doing mine Saturday AM..early. But they are having a BBQ or something on Sunday, so I may head back out just to show off my new look and meet a bunch of people I only know by their funny NAM screen names.

Food, fun, MINIS, yay.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:05 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Here's our car, the day we bought it:

Here it is with the wheels and tint updated, but no aero grille, nor splitter:

Here's our car, as of yesterday

Old 07-20-2005, 11:29 PM
Krassanova
4th Gear
JCWDRIVER...dude that is sick.

I love it...especially the brakes peeking thru the FF7's.

I was $1000 away from getting a Jet Black...they already start out more aggressive, but I'd say you've increased it by a factor of 10.

Of course, what works on black, doesn't always work on Pepper White or Pure Silver.

Old 07-21-2005, 12:37 AM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Thanks! I love it and so does the missus. Shoot, it was her idea to buy one in the first place. I wanted to get an Acura NSX for years, and was pretty close to doing it. But I had a change of heart, and thought if we bought a mini, that it would make her happy for some time, regarding the cars we own.

Funny part is that she originally wanted dark silver, and maybe upgraded to an S.

I got involved after putting the NSX on the back burner, and turned the mini into a complicated deal...

At any race... A pure silver mini looks SWEET with the aero kit and painted arches. A couple in our MINI club here in Portland has a convertible with the aero kit, lowering springs, and color matched painted arches. It looks SWEET, and agressive.

big...here

http://www.hostdub.com/albums/shoole..._river_040.jpg
http://www.hostdub.com/albums/shoole..._river_049.jpg

other:

big:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...icture_143.jpg

Old 07-21-2005, 12:47 AM
ylwjkt
3rd Gear
JCWDriver -

Yours is the ultimate in sharpness.
Two thumbs up.

Old 07-21-2005, 01:40 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by minimort

Already Painted???

Old 07-21-2005, 05:25 AM
JaredRS
1st Gear
JCWDriver's MCS + 16" SSR Comp's + a giant pair of Cibie's on the front = the plans I have for my MCS when the day comes that I actually own one :smile:

Old 07-21-2005, 09:06 AM
SpunkytheTuna
4th Gear
You want aggressive?

Go here: http://tinyurl.com/bvhyx

Old 07-21-2005, 09:15 AM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SpunkytheTuna
You want aggressive?

Go here: http://tinyurl.com/bvhyx
Now that is just wrong! My dad's in the San Diego Miata Club, so I've seen this before. Here it is for the rest of y'all:

Old 07-21-2005, 09:17 AM
docross47
2nd Gear
Nice

Here's our car, the day we bought it:

Here it is with the wheels and tint updated, but no aero grille, nor splitter:

Here's our car, as of yesterday

This is one of the nicest MCS's I have ever seen. I have an '05 JB/B MCS and I am just beginning to mod the car. I am taking my time like it seems you did too. It pays to be patient and do things the right way, this post shows what can be done in an incremental fashion. bee1000n, changing up the grill, dropping some springs on, and upgrading rims should give you a nice jump in the aggressive factor--post pics when you do your mods

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Advice for aggressive-izing my front end