Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior is it possible to add a panormaic sunroof to a mcs with a normal roof?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005 | 12:37 AM
digby
|
1st Gear
is it possible to add a panormaic sunroof to a mcs with a normal roof?

I have spent a good deal of time thinking about this one, and Ive come to the conclusion that I really would like the panormic sunroof on my mcs that as of now has no sun roof.

I bought a 05 mcs 2 months ago, didnt get to choose any options on it because I bought one that someone cancelled on. As a result instead of waiting 3-4 months, I got it the next day. Came with almost everything I wanted, had the most important thing the lsd and it was hyper blue with a white roof. I auto-x it but not so much that I'm going to worry about adding 50 pounds to the roof and raising the center of gravity. I auto-x maybe 5-8 times a year, I drive in california the rest of the year and the sunroof would be great.

I'm wondering if its possible to add the sunroof later? If I could order it from mini, pay the $800 or so and get it installed somewhere so the end product is as if I had ordered it with the sun roof. I am not opposed to paying $500+ in labor to get this installed, has anyone done anything like this or have any suggestions? I'm calling mini on monday to see if they will let me order just a sunroof.

Old 07-24-2005 | 01:16 AM
vm
4th Gear
As far as I know you can install this one. I don't know about the standard sunroof. Your MINI will be unique with this roof .

Old 07-24-2005 | 01:38 AM
digby
|
1st Gear
what is that a clothtop? I like the standard one, and I like the standard one + carbon fiber panels ala sports compact car, even more. For a bit, I was thinking about ordering another car in texas with no markup like in california and selling mine locally when the car in texas arrived. Then I realized the only other options I might want are fog lamps, xenon and maybe cloth seats instead of leatherette. Too much of a hassle though on a 2 month old car.

Old 07-24-2005 | 04:08 AM
everythingsablur
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by digby
I was thinking about ordering another car in texas with no markup like in california and selling mine locally when the car in texas arrived. Then I realized the only other options I might want are fog lamps, xenon and maybe cloth seats instead of leatherette. Too much of a hassle though on a 2 month old car.
Ordering a new MINI might be the only really cost feasible way to get the OEM panoramic sunroof. The parts alone will probably cost $1000 easy, then all of the labour to chop off your roof, install the new one, then retrofit all of the required electronics... That's probably another $800-1000+ in labour (unless you can do this yourself or know some mechanics who'll cut you a deal). Then what does this retrofit do to your warranty (probably nothing if you have MINI USA do it, but that's gonna cost ya).

Doesn't seem worth it in my opinion, but perhaps the costs are acceptable for you.

Old 07-24-2005 | 04:34 AM
cooper37
1st Gear
Seems to me that given the resale value of MINIs, especially one that has been driven for only 2 months, you probably could recoup most of what you paid for it – thereby allowing you to buy an '05 (or an '06) with a sunroof. IMO that would outweigh the cash outlay and the hassle you would have to assume to install the sunroof on your present MINI. Alternatively, you can come up with a list of positive reasons for NOT having a sunroof and let go of wanting it (though admittedly, that's hard to do!):smile: Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-24-2005 | 05:55 PM
Drsms22
5th Gear
Sunroof and MINI shopping

I shopped around for several months for a used MCS. The sunroof was a requirement. I found throughout the US in my searches that when the rubber hits the road to the used car lot the cars with the sunroof have better resale value.

Old 07-24-2005 | 06:08 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Sell this one, buy another...

Think of what it would take.... Either a month of sundays, or a bunch of labor, at $75/hr if your lucky.... Then there's the cost of the parts.... Then there's the fact that it's a sunroof car, but doesn't come up that way by VIN. Remeber, you need the sunroof brain too. That hooks to one of the internal information busses.... The wires will be there, but you'll have to source a module, and you'll probably have to pay Mini for a half hour of labor to do the 5 minute task of telling the rest of the systems that the sunroof is there....

So you'd be in a grand, maybe more. Definantly if you have a paint "issue" while cutting the panel. I'd hazard to guess that you can take up to a $2k bath on the sale and still come up ahead....

FWIW, the sunroof adds weight in the very worst place for autoX and pretty much anything that requires handling. I haven't searched myself, but other have said that it's hard to find an early car with no sunroof!

Matt