Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Hyper Blue Dash on E blue car

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 09:03 PM
bambam
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hyper Blue Dash on E blue car

Theres a hyper blue dash kit on Ebay. What do you think that would look like on an Electric Blue mini? Stupid or a unique two tone look, be honest I can take it. I would have thought about it if I didn't see it on Ebay.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:01 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I remember a two-tone effect like you're considering, on Grampa's Plymouth Valiant (in brown though, ) which was pretty nice looking, (not to mention it ran and ran and ran).

Although, the 70's (when I was 15 and grampa let me drive the Plymouth "under-age" on his acreage, with him in the passenger seat as "instructor") are pretty blurry, I'm pretty certain that the INterior color was a shade or 3 (of that yucky brown) lighter than the exterior.

What you're thinking about could be original and cool (so thinks me), but it all comes down to how well the 2 shades of blue "work" together, which might be a personal preference thing, I dunno.

I'm not sure darker interior (hyper blue) would work with the lighter Electric Blue exterior... That's what I get for marrying a graphic artist, right? Maybe for the interior, consider other blues than those offered by the factory, to get the best combo? A custom job could be really sweet, and not a huge investment (?). Volkswagens in the 70's, used to have a "robin's egg blue" color that might be REALLY great with MINI Electric Blue? Sorry for so much opinion and not much substance...

I promise to not type more about the "paint" on older VW's, I just thought of that powder blue-ish color for some reason. I remember my '67 microbus... the green paint would come off onto the towels at the car wash if you rubbed a little too hard.

There are so many great looking ways to go here - Minihune has an absolutely lovely wood grain dashboard and other bits, and (I think it was) Jersey Girl who can claim "the original painted dash" on her Indi Blue MCS (it IS pretty, and she did it before MINI offered body color interior as a no-cost option).

If you do it, I want to see the pictures. I spec'd the body-colored dash and door bezels for my MCS in Chili Red, and I like it. I hope you're successful at the You-ification process .

Don't forget to post pictures,
Tatt

Old 07-29-2005, 10:33 PM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I don't really know. I guess I would have to see it. But if you don't like it you can always turn around and sell it.

Good luck.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:47 PM
kesh420
4th Gear
I think your idea might look kinda cool.

At first I thought naaah. Then I thought, hey it would work well since the interior is darker.

I say go for it. Definately original !

I would like to see the pics when it's done... Please.

Kesh

Old 07-29-2005, 11:43 PM
eVal
6th Gear
I personally do not think the two hues would work well together like that.

Old 07-30-2005, 09:45 AM
bambam
3rd Gear
After sleeping on it I don't think it would look right especially when after I get my wet okoles. I also wouldn't consider it if I didn't see it on Ebay so that idea is out.

Has anyone changed the dash on an 05 yet? I was wondering how hard it is because I am most likely going to get a carbon fiber or electric blue dash in the near future.

Old 07-30-2005, 10:13 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the one on ebay will be mine here soon!

I'm going to sand it down and repaint it.....not too sure what yet, meybey make it look like an old 60's dashboard to go with my MC64 replica theme! :smile: