Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior How-To: X-Pel Headlight Protection Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005 | 12:43 AM
cooperdude
|
2nd Gear
How-To: X-Pel Headlight Protection Install

This is a how-to on how to apply Xpel Headlight Protection on a set of headlights.

You can find a dealer here:
http://www.xpel.com/products/headlight.asp

In my case, i had a set already installed. I did these myself a few days after i picked up the car. I decided to do another set since i had an extra.

Do this how-to in the shade, preferably in a closed garage, so bugs and dirt cant get at the headlight surface. If the headlights have been on, allow them to cool down before starting.

You are going to want to have the following in front of you.

1) Small to Medium sized spray bottle (you can find these at Synders or Walgreens for about $1)
2) Rubbing alcohol
2a)Mix 3 parts tap water to 1 part rubbing alcohol into the spray bottle.
3) Two lint free towels
4) Two microfiber towels
5) Hairdryer
6) Plastic / Glass Cleaner of your choice (I used Stoners)
7) The Xpel Kit
8) Plastic squeegee (should have come with the kit.
9) Patience

Take the glass/plastic cleaner and vigorously clean the surface of the headlight you are about to work on. Use the microfiber to clean and dry.

The headlight should now be very clean. If not, clean again, this is the surface that the adhesive is going to stick to!

Next, you will want to lay out each headlight cover in front of its corresponding headlight. Test fit each piece dry. They will most likely not be marked.
Use the lint-free towels to rest the covers on. DO NOT use the floor. They can pick up dirt very easily.

With the water/alcohol solution, vigorously spray the clear part first, then flip over to the paper backed side. You will want to get this as wet as possible.

Then take the hairdryer, and go over the piece evenly. You should notice the plastic begin to stick up a bit, this is good.

At this point you will have to handle the covering. Wet your hands with the solution. This prevents finger prints from showing up in case you end up accidentally touching the adhesive.

The plastic will probably start to dry out, keep it saturated as possible. Spray the solution directly onto the adhesive side as you slowly peel the paper back.

Once the paper backing is off, saturate the headlight lens and the cover with the water/alcohol solution.

Position the cover onto the lens.

If the cover becomes difficult to mold to the headlight, break out the hairdryer and heat it up. Again, the more solution you use during this the better. Keep the surface as saturated as possible.

Once the cover is in a suitable position, take the squeegee and move from the center of the lens out. Push as much of the water/alcohol solution out as you can.

If there is extra material, use the hairdryer to heat it up and mold it. Make sure the area is wet when you do this. When molded the way you want, use the squeegee to get as much of the solution out.

At the end you will most likely come across spots where the solution is not completely gone. The cover may have a haze to it. This is normal. The haze will go away with in a week or two of normal use. If its not gone by the end of the two weeks, its just going to take longer to dry out.

You're done!

Old 08-02-2005 | 12:59 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
kool

nice job////how does Xpel compare w/lamin-X which is what i've got on my ride?.. (blue) in colour.

Old 08-02-2005 | 10:50 AM
cooperdude
|
2nd Gear
I'm sure its pretty similar.