Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior L.E.D Side marker lights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 05:03 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
next time order from danielsternlighting.com he's way better w/stuff like that he stocks better bulbs...that autolumination has not had good track record.

have heard a lot of bad feed-back. i really dont think they are real LED's i've seen real ones and there nothing like what is sold as LED's at all.. U got to watch out, for people will call anything L E D's just to get a sale!

Originally Posted by Jeru
Received my bulbs today, To be honest I am a little dissapointed with the packing. All of my 9 bulbs were thrown into one bag. No labels....

Packing was good and shipping was fast. I am a little suprised however that I did not get any business cards or at least an invoice???

Old 08-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by joker
next time order from danielsternlighting.com he's way better w/stuff like that he stocks better bulbs...that autolumination has not had good track record.

have heard a lot of bad feed-back. i really dont think they are real LED's i've seen real ones and there nothing like what is sold as LED's at all.. U got to watch out, for people will call anything L E D's just to get a sale!
Can anybody post what a "fake" LED is supposed to look like? I've never heard of fake LED's before......

Old 08-12-2005, 09:18 AM
ururk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thameth
Can anybody post what a "fake" LED is supposed to look like? I've never heard of fake LED's before......
I think he might be referring to LEDs with different light output - not all LEDs are created equal!

Other than that, I have no clue.

Old 08-12-2005, 09:28 AM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
I did post above about look alike LEDS. The only thing I was thinking is that they are lights that are filaments that are made to look like LEDs. Kinda like the replacement headlight bulbs that you can get that say they are Xenon bulbs, but are standard bulbs. Not sure if this is the case with LEDs though. I love the way the tail lights on the G35 look and would love to make the Mini look the same!!!

Old 08-12-2005, 06:54 PM
SCMCS
4th Gear
Try this link for instructions

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=32697

[QUOTE=Jeru]The quality of the bulbs is good. The colors are very vibrant! I cant find my manual. Does anyone know how to remove the red and amber side markers?

Old 08-12-2005, 06:59 PM
SCMCS
4th Gear
I did not have any problems with this site but I might be one of the lucky ones. Bookmarked the Daniel Stern site for future reference.

Old 08-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
bump...its been a week of rain. any end in sight?

-Josh

Old 08-13-2005, 06:02 AM
doomsdaybob
4th Gear
If you want to check out some nice LED conversions check out http://www.clearcorners.com. Get your wallet out though, expensive. I still want to build my own but seeing that I'm at work on a Saturday talking w/ a vendor right this moment I'll probably have to wait a little while.

Also check out http://spiderlight.com they don't have MINI replacements yet but should soon.

Old 08-13-2005, 06:22 AM
BaldBikerGuy
Banned
Just thought I would add my comment...

Love LED lights!! All my marker/tail lamps are LED. I like this site http://www.ledtronics.com/
high quality and high price. I like the tails as they have a rear set of LEDs for the reflector so you get a nice even "glow" as opposed to a "spot" of light.

If you do go LED, be prepaired for the "fast blink" of your signals...and the more lights...the faster it goes (mine kind of looks like a strobe)

Old 08-13-2005, 10:43 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
kool..

Originally Posted by SCMCS
I did not have any problems with this site but I might be one of the lucky ones. Bookmarked the Daniel Stern site for future reference.

Old 08-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by Battle Cattle
bump...its been a week of rain. any end in sight?

-Josh
can you bereive it....today/tonight there is the weekly car show...I'll be going rain or shine...oh and last night @ 2am it wasn't raining..buuuuut the camera batteries were dead

Tonight it is! rain or moon

Old 08-13-2005, 01:02 PM
evilc66
2nd Gear
Alright guys, here's the deal with LED's and the fast blink rate. The relay resposible for blinking the turn signals is load sensitive. It's designed that way so that if a bulb burns out, it blinks fast to let you know something is wrong. Because the LEDs draw so little current, the relay blinks fast. What you need is a load resistor. Most of the sites selling the LED replacement bulbs will sell these also. They are to be connected in PARALLEL across the positive and negative wire for the turn signal circuit (not sure what the actual wiring on the MINI actually is, but I've done this on my Blazer). Most load resistors will come with inline splice taps too, making the installation really simple. You don't need to put these on each corner, just on each side. Buy four just in case one per side does not add enough load (check with the seller first though).

Now, the relay may be able to be changed to a solid state relay that was designed to handle LEDs and will have a constant blink rate regardless of the load. This may be a better way to go in the long run because the resistors do generate a bit of heat. I'll have to look into this one.

Hope this answers some questions.

Later

Old 08-13-2005, 04:42 PM
BaldBikerGuy
Banned
I like my fast blink lights

Old 08-14-2005, 02:41 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
well just took some pics...I am limited to what I can do with this camera...and MLE (who's in maine right now) has the "good camera" with all the fancy settings...SO looks like we wait till monday night

Old 08-18-2005, 04:33 AM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
bump

Old 08-19-2005, 07:09 AM
doomsdaybob
4th Gear
Bump? No pics yet?

Old 08-21-2005, 10:16 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
OK sorry....got busy..blah blah..yeah yeah...so here's the best I could get with trying to keep the LEDs from blowing out...I have clear side marker lights to I went with the super white ones...

At some point there will be video...it might not be till OCT but that will really show how the LEDs look...cause stills do them no justice

Old 08-22-2005, 06:04 AM
Jeru
2nd Gear
Wow! that looks great. What kind of bulbs are in the Fogs?
How bout some new interior shots too! Sorry to be a PITA lol

Old 08-22-2005, 11:03 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
if ur talking bout the blue lights in front, those are not fogs they are running lights. wish i could get some fogs that look like that so i know what U mean!!
Wow! that looks great. What kind of bulbs are in the Fogs?
How bout some new interior shots too! Sorry to be a PITA lol

Old 08-22-2005, 12:01 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
if ur talking bout the blue lights in front, those are not fogs they are running lights. wish i could get some fogs that look like that so i know what U mean!!
yeah I want the fogs too...Piaa makes an h7 that will work......I know a guy who has them and it looks awsome...

Old 08-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Jeru
2nd Gear
What bulbs are in the running lights then? LED's?

Old 08-22-2005, 03:12 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
are they the ones that are 5watts brighter???
Originally Posted by Tuls
yeah I want the fogs too...Piaa makes an h7 that will work......I know a guy who has them and it looks awsome...

Old 08-24-2005, 09:25 AM
Jeru
2nd Gear
So what did you use for the front running lights??? PIAA??

I want to match my Xenon's!!!

I just ordered 12 more LED's including 2 12 led turn signal bulbs for the front. The clear side markers look awesome!

Old 08-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
So what did you use for the front running lights??? PIAA??

I want to match my Xenon's!!!

I just ordered 12 more LED's including 2 12 led turn signal bulbs for the front. The clear side markers look awesome!
running lights....like the parking lights? in front? I used 194s but you cannot use the 5 led for parking lights cause they will not fit through the hole...so you have to you use somethign like the widangle...if you look at the diagrams it's pretty easy to figure out which is best...you don't want anything too pointy...

on a side note I am not sure the front blinkers can be replaced with a traditional 1156...due to this wierd angled "noch" in the plug...pop out the blinker and look at the track here the little pins that stick out of the bulb go...I belive they are angled...if this is still the case...the only thing to do is use the silver bulbs...which you can get at a pepboys I belive...clear or silver and when lit glow amber...

as for the fogs and high beam...all you have to do is check the bulb model and find that one made by piaa....in the "xenon" or "ultra white" or whatever they call it...I just looked at an extra fog i have and the bulb is an H11

here's a link for the h11

Piaa H11

Old 08-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Jeru
2nd Gear
Cool, Thanks!

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior L.E.D Side marker lights?