Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Checkered mirrors - cover vs. replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005 | 10:29 AM
mlebeau
|
4th Gear
Checkered mirrors - cover vs. replacement?

Hi all,

My girlfriend got me some great checkered mirror caps for our anniversary, and I love them. However they are the kind that install with two-sided tape rather than clips, like the OEM part seems to do. She got them off eBay and I'm a bit confused as to where they originally came from.

On outmotoring.com here, it says "the factory parts made by MINI", but that should be with the clips, no?

The eBay item pointed to the outmotoring site and said they originally purchased for $119.99, but if the outmotoring part is the OEM part, it should be clips, and the one I have is two-sided tape.

Can anyone clear up whether the outmotoring part is tape or clips, and where the tape ones come from?

Thanks!

-mike

Old 08-07-2005 | 10:48 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mlebeau

She got them off eBay and I'm a bit confused as to where they originally came from.

On outmotoring.com here, it says "the factory parts made by MINI", but that should be with the clips, no?

The eBay item pointed to the outmotoring site and said they originally purchased for $119.99, but if the outmotoring part is the OEM part, it should be clips, and the one I have is two-sided tape.
I have the MINI factory checkerboard mirror covers and they use clips. I took off Chrome factory mirror covers and they use clips. Where to tape covers come from? My guess is china.

I would not be concerned with outmotoring.com, but rather be more concerned with the seller on eBay. Do you really believe he paid that much from outmotoring? Whats his reputation? Any neutrals or negatives? How many transactions. eBay is not necessarily the place to buy quality products.

Old 08-07-2005 | 11:15 AM
mlebeau
|
4th Gear
Hey. Yep, I am a bit concerned about the guy on eBay. My girlfriend wasn't really aware of this when she bought them, but I think she now knows to be more careful on eBay. In fact, the person had only a few negatives out of many, many positives, so they look reputable, however they never sell this sort of thing usually... It's all purses and other things, usually. Actually, cooperhiker is the one here who advertised them as selling on eBay, but said it was a client of his selling them or something. The seller was clear that they were double-sided tape covers so he never completely misled anyone.

Anyway, they look great and are no problem, and there were a lot of bids.. Since I can get the real deal with clips and stuff for $120 (that is the dealer price, right?), I think I'll probably resell these on eBay and notify the previous bidders that they're available again. Nothing wrong with them, but I'd prefer the clip.

-mike