Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Batmini + lightbar = no longer cute

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) Nice looking lights
2) better mean than cute looking
3) what size wrench is used to remove the bar?
4) where exactly do you live?

bahamabart

Old 08-09-2005, 12:53 PM
mburchill36
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MandaBoo
We have pretty much the same law, but I figure that whenever I have these lights on noone will be around me anyway as they are so frickin bright, so I don't care
Just hope you don't get a cop coming the other way on a rural road, like in most small towns out in the country at night... they get reeeeally bored and end up looking for people to harrass over the stupidest things.

- - m

Old 08-19-2005, 02:22 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought that I would revive this thread by posting some pics of my new clear covers for my IPF lights They are very similar to the white covers that come with the lights, except of course they are clear, look MUCH better and you can turn on your lights with them on

And here's one of my dog Xena rubbing her nose all over them after she just stuck her nose up the tailpipe of the EVO

Old 08-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
What are those clear tabs hanging off?

Old 08-19-2005, 02:35 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
They look to be clipping on, rather than hanging off...

Old 08-19-2005, 02:41 PM
neilgj
4th Gear
So to regress slightly, I noticed that the set-up as installed had separate independent control of inner and outer pairs of lights. How was this set up? Specifically, I believe the Alta kit comes with one switch. I assume you purchased one more switch (or perhaps 2 smaller but similar ones). Where in the interior did you mount and install the switches? What kind of switches did you get? Do you have photos of that part of the installation?

Thanks!

P.S. It does look great!

Old 08-19-2005, 02:55 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
The tabs are what clips onto the light in the same way that the white covers do. I think its the reflection of the sun that gives it that weird optical illusion that they are coming at you in the first pic

I think Wagnbat set his up differently than me, but mine are wired to 1 switch which is mounted on the blanking plate on the left hand side of my Euro Parcel tray. I think that the kit comes with 2 switches though as the lights are actually 2 sets of 2, so if you want 2 switches, they're all set up for that already
I'll go take a pic of the switch in a minute for ya

Old 08-19-2005, 03:05 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Here's a pic of the location of the switch for my lights. if I wanted to be really **** retentive about it, I could've found a switch somewhere that fits into the blanking plate, but my husband wired them for me as they were my b-day present, so I didn't complain about the switch

Old 08-19-2005, 04:26 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MandaBoo
Here's a pic of the location of the switch for my lights. if I wanted to be really **** retentive about it, I could've found a switch somewhere that fits into the blanking plate, but my husband wired them for me as they were my b-day present, so I didn't complain about the switch
So all four lights go on at once plus the highs?

Old 08-19-2005, 04:30 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Manda, i would be careful running the lights on with the covers on unless they say they can be run with the lights on specificly. I melted a set of covers on a previous car be foregetting the covers were on while doing some night driving (they were tied into the high beams).

they actually melted enough to soften the plastick covers and make them start to sag out in the middle!!!

Old 08-19-2005, 04:39 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
So all four lights go on at once plus the highs?
That button activates the lights, so if the button is not pushed in and I turn on my highs, only the high beams come on, if the button is pushed in and I turn on the highs, then the high beams plus all 4 lights come on.

And rednwhite...the description of them does specifically say that the lights can be turned on with the covers on, which is why I got them b/c I am a pansy ***

Old 08-19-2005, 05:08 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Yeah, the lightbar is 1 piece, and comes with 2 sets of IPF lights, and each set has it's own wiring harnesses and switches.

I plan on cleaning up the switches with some nice aftermarket ones once I research and find something I like, but my setup is about the same as Manda's:

Red: Hi-beams on, but driving lots not on.
Green: Hi beams on, driving lights on.

Oh, and Manda, I asked because it looks like stickies, with little tabs hanging off, as opposed to hard plastic tabs. Those aren't the IPF ones, eh?

Old 08-19-2005, 08:06 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Wagnbat
Oh, and Manda, I asked because it looks like stickies, with little tabs hanging off, as opposed to hard plastic tabs. Those aren't the IPF ones, eh?
Yeah, they're the IPF covers. If you look real hard at the first pic of my light covers you can see IPF in the cover. They are hard plastic tabs and they snap on quite securely. I think that the sunlight that was bouncing off the tabs made them shine more in the pic than they actually do. They are barely noticable in person

Old 08-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Would you pm me the price & linky where you got em? Or was it from that 4x4 place? Those ones were clear, but still had black IPF on them, eh?

Old 08-20-2005, 05:48 AM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Wagnbat
Would you pm me the price & linky where you got em? Or was it from that 4x4 place? Those ones were clear, but still had black IPF on them, eh?
They were from the 4x4 place that Yucca told us about. And, no they don't have IPF in black on them, it's kinda etched on, but still clear. Here's a link to them, we have the 968 lights. linky

Oh, and thanks for finding those for us, Yucca

Old 08-29-2005, 07:55 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Granted, I only have one set of the IPF lights, but I mounted my switch higher up on the dash, so I could see the LED's inside. I ran the cable right up the seam in the dashboard--seemed like a natural place for a cord to run up...

see thumbnail below

Attached Thumbnails Batmini + lightbar = no longer cute-12.jpg   Batmini + lightbar = no longer cute-11.jpg   Batmini + lightbar = no longer cute-finished.jpg  
Old 08-30-2005, 06:06 PM
JaredRS
1st Gear
someone mentioned the 3M vinyl stuff to put over the lights, I had to chime in and recommend Lamin-X, I have it on my Hella fogs and my stock HID headlights on my Focus, and it's never let me down. You can't even TELL it's a laminate, it looks absolutely perfect, hasn't warped from heat, or anything.

you can buy it in generic rectangle and circle shapes to cut it to your own size you need from FocusSport:

http://www.focussport.com/laminx.htm

(if you are a VW fan you might recognize the name EuroSport, same company)

but yeah, I know tons of people that use this stuff, it's frikkin awesome. I don't even have to put tape on my lights at track days because of this stuff :D