Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Ram intake project

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Android993
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I got my CF Pooper Scooper on Friday! Yippie Here are couple of pics.
Thanks Peter!

Attached Thumbnails Ram intake project-653015733305_0_alb.jpg   Ram intake project-953015733305_0_alb.jpg   Ram intake project-263015733305_0_alb.jpg  
Old 02-11-2006, 03:02 PM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Android993
I got my CF Pooper Scooper on Friday! Yippie Here are couple of pics.
Thanks Peter!
Lookin' good

Old 02-11-2006, 03:18 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ///ACS330Ci
Lookin' good
I'm so jealous

Old 02-11-2006, 03:59 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Me too:impatient

Old 02-11-2006, 04:08 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Me 3 I guess I just don't have enough pull

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 02-11-2006, 04:24 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by maxmini
Me 3 I guess I just don't have enough pull

Randy
M7 Tuning
You're close enough...maybe try a kick instead

Just kiddn Peter I'm just fillin in for Andy

Old 02-11-2006, 04:50 PM
newbs49
Banned
Where is Andy. Maybe that should be a new forum

Nice looking finished product!!!!!!

Old 02-11-2006, 07:47 PM
fdavid
4th Gear
I am dying to get mine as well. I want to see how it looks with the same car paint color. (In my case Jet Black) I might get in trouble for saying this but I am little concerned as how much its sticks out of the bonet curvature.
Can't wait to get mine and judge this in person.
Perhaps is the CF but really want to see one where is color coded.
I guess I'll post picks when I get mine.
*I just have to alert you guys that my mini is currently getting the aero kit installed as well as the new JCW wing...hope I don't get banned for doing such a move *
much love
fdavid

Old 02-11-2006, 08:37 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
okay, tried to fit it today... no avail! what am i doing wrong!

first off, the bolts are too short! i am forced to dremel an extensive amount out of the GRS diverter...

after that, it wont sit flush to the hood, so i had to wonder what the ****** is that dam tab doing in the middle? do i have to hammer the middle metal piece so i can fit it? what am i doing WRONG!!!!!!

Old 02-11-2006, 08:43 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by kyriian
okay, tried to fit it today... no avail! what am i doing wrong!

first off, the bolts are too short! i am forced to dremel an extensive amount out of the GRS diverter...

after that, it wont sit flush to the hood, so i had to wonder what the ****** is that dam tab doing in the middle? do i have to hammer the middle metal piece so i can fit it? what am i doing WRONG!!!!!!
Before you started to cut things up, you should'da made a call to Peter first or made a post to ask me for help. How long are the studs on your piece?

Old 02-11-2006, 08:53 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Before you started to cut things up, you should'da made a call to Peter first or made a post to ask me for help. How long are the studs on your piece?
well, let's just say i manage to fit it, but with a even smaller intake area!

i dont know what's wrong anymore.... the grs diverter is sitting and diverting the air on ONLY the bottom half of the scoop.... so effectively, i lost 50% of intake air... the above 50% is an empty space above the GRS diverter.... right now, my only option is to use electrical tape to try and diverge the air downwards..... because my stock scoop is now completely broken......

also, the studs are long enough to fit in.... just dont get what's the problem with the intake area...

Old 02-11-2006, 08:59 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
You're loosing me...can you post some clear pictures so I can understand the situation? I'm sure there's a simple explanation...everything will be ok...just put down the knife

Old 02-11-2006, 09:28 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
You're loosing me...can you post some clear pictures so I can understand the situation? I'm sure there's a simple explanation...everything will be ok...just put down the knife
well i manage to fit it... sorta... i have to go back to the dremel tomorrow when i feel more up to it...

basically, there's a tab on the side of the GRS diverter (ive dremeled most of it off so i cant really show a picture... but basically, on the side of the hoodscoop, its rubbing against the right side of the grs diverter.... if that made sense!)

that's defenitely going to be an issue with GRS intercooler owners.... because on the left side the hoodscoop would fit no problem, but the right side the hoodscoop when you try to tighten it it'd push the diverter down with it....

beyond that though, i got a second issue, because of a lower diverter issue ive had since ive had the GRS.... i added a piece of aluminum in between the hoodscoop and the diverter, it sits below the notches that tie the hoodscoop down to the front hood.... but because of that aluminum, i cant tighten down the nuts because the bolts are not long enough for me to fit... i had to take out that aluminum piece... but now the GRS sits too high....

wow.. ive had lots of issues with this....
* EDIT*
but first, here's some pics on my car, still missing the M7 upper/middle grille, but o well

sorry its relatively dark, as well, there's ALOT of fiberglass all around the hood, around the scoop itself cuze i was doing alot of dremeling....

anyways, after that, the next are photos for sid to take a look, its the first 3 pics, let me know

http://photobucket.com/albums/c165/kyriian/

anyways, ive dremel the edges of the grs diverter, and it seemed to have helped alot to help the hoodscoop go into place, but as you can see in the pics there's still an obivious gap that goes nowhere.... perhaps a piece of plastic held down by teflon tape that can push the air down?

to end this post, i thank Peter @ M7 for setting me up with this scoop, Sid for developing it, and Jason at coopersport for getting me the scoop

Old 02-12-2006, 06:15 AM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure more knowledgable people will pipe in on this one, but the photos show a piece connected to the bonnet that is interfering with the air flow through the scoop. I've seen GRS coolers and they have the diverter (seals) connected to the IC, and the bonnet is clean, isn't it? Then why this piece on yours? I'd guess you have to remove anything on the bonnet except the scoop, and have the diverter mounted onto the IC with foam or rubber seals to the bonnet.
Just some thoughts from your photos.

good luck. I see your frustration and know that those who designed and built this part did not intend that.

cheers,
phil

Old 02-12-2006, 06:31 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gandini
I'm sure more knowledgable people will pipe in on this one, but the photos show a piece connected to the bonnet that is interfering with the air flow through the scoop. I've seen GRS coolers and they have the diverter (seals) connected to the IC, and the bonnet is clean, isn't it? Then why this piece on yours? I'd guess you have to remove anything on the bonnet except the scoop, and have the diverter mounted onto the IC with foam or rubber seals to the bonnet.
Just some thoughts from your photos.

good luck. I see your frustration and know that those who designed and built this part did not intend that.

cheers,
phil
that's exactly what i thought, but not many material will allow air to smoothly flow through...... not without cutting up the intercooler diverter sitting on the bonnet (the upper piece), which before have never given me problems (my guess is that the upper piece is designed for the opening of the stock scoop to make sure that air flows through, but since sid opened up the top of the scoop, there's a discontinuation in between..... without cutting up the GRS i dont see many other options

Old 02-12-2006, 08:15 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
that's exactly what i thought, but not many material will allow air to smoothly flow through...... not without cutting up the intercooler diverter sitting on the bonnet (the upper piece), which before have never given me problems (my guess is that the upper piece is designed for the opening of the stock scoop to make sure that air flows through, but since sid opened up the top of the scoop, there's a discontinuation in between..... without cutting up the GRS i dont see many other options
Wow...I see two of the issues you're referring to.

1-The top opening diverter interferience with airflow is not a mistake. I explained many times during the developement phase that the increased efficiency gains were possible (and what made this Ram Intake design unique in the market) was the elimination of the factory diverter which restricted any increased apature advantages. By doing so, we lifted the upper apature of the Ram Intake up to the limitations of the hood sheet metal. The dimensional difference between the plastic diverter's opening and the opening of the RIP is actually how much we opened up the apature.

You're best bet would be to get rid of this plastic diverter and complete your seal with Alta type design...mount seal to top of intercooler that mates to underhood surface.

2-The second issue is the height of GRS intercooler. I've seen this condition with another design and for the life of me, can't understand the rational/benifit of increasing core thickness while blocking/disrupting air flow...what does that gain? Seems like a net zero gain...Now this situation only compounds the former. We achieved greater IC efficiency by increasing airflow. But the GRS IC is cancelling the increased apature we've designed into the Ram Intake.

Sid

Old 02-12-2006, 08:21 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
By removing the top portion of the diverter, would that cause any issues with the hood being opened like that? I.e. weather conditions causing the underside of the hood to rust or anything of that sort? Would this be benificial to someone with a stock scoop and intercooler? I do not see any sense in upgrading the intercooler as this causes the area for the air to hit the intercooler become smaller and not allow good air flow.

Garrett

Old 02-12-2006, 09:15 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by garretwp
By removing the top portion of the diverter, would that cause any issues with the hood being opened like that? I.e. weather conditions causing the underside of the hood to rust or anything of that sort? Would this be benificial to someone with a stock scoop and intercooler? I do not see any sense in upgrading the intercooler as this causes the area for the air to hit the intercooler become smaller and not allow good air flow.

Garrett

Good question and perhaps I can jump in on this one. I have been using a alta divertor on my stock intercooler for over a year now . With that system the entire plastic underhood piece you are referring to was removed. I have had no ill effects because of it. Hope this answers this question at least.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 02-12-2006, 09:21 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
So you have had good results with it removed? I fab. this up awhile back and using it as of now!

Does this also remove the ring around the scoop part in the back of scoop? Or is it just the top cover portion? I.e the scoop consists of two parts, the scoop and the inside part. I can not remember what the whole top portion is attached to. I guess by removing this, it will allow much more air flow.

Garrett

P.S. I apologies for high jacking this thread.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:06 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Wow...I see two of the issues you're referring to.

1-The top opening diverter interferience with airflow is not a mistake. I explained many times during the developement phase that the increased efficiency gains were possible (and what made this Ram Intake design unique in the market) was the elimination of the factory diverter which restricted any increased apature advantages. By doing so, we lifted the upper apature of the Ram Intake up to the limitations of the hood sheet metal. The dimensional difference between the plastic diverter's opening and the opening of the RIP is actually how much we opened up the apature.

You're best bet would be to get rid of this plastic diverter and complete your seal with Alta type design...mount seal to top of intercooler that mates to underhood surface.

2-The second issue is the height of GRS intercooler. I've seen this condition with another design and for the life of me, can't understand the rational/benifit of increasing core thickness while blocking/disrupting air flow...what does that gain? Seems like a net zero gain...Now this situation only compounds the former. We achieved greater IC efficiency by increasing airflow. But the GRS IC is cancelling the increased apature we've designed into the Ram Intake.

Sid
thanks for the feedback, unfortunately taking out the GRS diverter is a bit of an impossiblity unless i can fab my own diverter in it's place, im trying to get acess to a belt sander, see if i can sand the front edge of the GRS diverter, all the while continue to dremel the sides of the GRS to make sure that the diverter sit as high as it can possibly go, then add a piece of teflon tape that will fill the gap in between..... quite frankly, this maybe my last option before i fab my own.. (i have a design on top of my head, but will be alot of trail and error!)

also sid, do you know if there's any good adhesive (preferably black tape or some sort of contact cement) that will be able to withstand the underhood temperatures? im probaably gonna add a piece of aluminum on top of the bottom of the grs diverter so the air would go flush into the cooler surface.... and as well add some high temp foam (know of any?) in the back of the top GRS diverter so i can FORCE the air down onto the cooler instead of it flying over (the foam in the back of my GRS has completely distengrated.... basically the air is just flying over the cooler, not through it.... )

i still thank Sid's help, i realize this is to eliminate the top diverter.... so you guys might want to add a warning to GRS owners.... it will require some modifications to make it work as intended

Old 02-12-2006, 11:04 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
also sid, do you know if there's any good adhesive (preferably black tape or some sort of contact cement) that will be able to withstand the underhood temperatures?
3M trim adhesive tape should work well. You can buy them at most automotive parts store. While my diverter is still at Alta for repair, I've been using open cell foam purchased at a hardware store that were trimmed and taped down to the top of my IC with basic double sided utility tape. It's winter time here and nothing's gotten hot enough disrupt anything so far.

basically the air is just flying over the cooler, not through it.... )

i still thank Sid's help, i realize this is to eliminate the top diverter.... so you guys might want to add a warning to GRS owners.... it will require some modifications to make it work as intended
That's not good...if air pressure is not captured/sealed on all three sides, there will be little air flowing down through your IC. A while back, I took off for a quick test drive without my diverter installed and the AIT shot up to nearly 200F Get that fix ASAP...I bet your AIT is off the chart...

Sid

Old 02-12-2006, 03:01 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
A while back, I took off for a quick test drive without my diverter installed and the AIT shot up to nearly 200F Get that fix ASAP...I bet your AIT is off the chart...

Sid
wow! dats a bit high, how long were u out drivin' around w/it 0FF?

Old 02-12-2006, 03:10 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by joker
wow! dats a bit high, how long were u out drivin' around w/it 0FF?
Long enough to get a reading before I screamed, "OH FU#$!" and turned around. The IAT shot up and down in step with the go pedal. It was like not having any intercooler attached

Old 02-12-2006, 03:48 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
damn..

minis need to stay k00l!!
brings back memories of my 'air kewld' VW days b4 i caught a clue

Old 02-12-2006, 04:24 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
its still winter here so ill get some first thing tomorrow when the stores open... ive not had problems with the IAT yet... believe me because i know what it's like without an IC (on a driveway!)

i got some ultimate tape at work, suppose to work up to 260 celcius without melting, so let's see...

if school's open during my study brake ill try to head down and sand down the front edge....

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Ram intake project