Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Ram intake project

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 05:46 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
.......... here in New England the worst is in the spring when the frogs are coming alive. As they hop across the road, the M7 splitter ends up collecting assorted frog parts.

I also agree that a screen in a scoop is not a performance enhancer to say the least.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:24 AM
SumWon
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good find OldRick, let us know how it turns out.

Originally Posted by onasled
I also agree that a screen in a scoop is not a performance enhancer to say the least.
Agreed, but realistically those who do more road time than track time, the decrease in long term IC efficiency caused by bugs trapped deep in the vanes of the IC vs. the short term decrease in air flow by a screen and the bugs temporarily trapped in it is acceptable. It is a real bugger (pun intended) to get those blasted things out of the IC!

I personally run a screen on the street, and then remove it before taking Bettie onto the track. Seems a fair compromise.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:21 AM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not at all sure that window screen, with maybe 60% openings, is not going to obstruct airflow more if laid directly on top of the IC, vs. a screen with much larger holes and 79% openings, inset in the scoop.

My guess is that changing direction 90 degrees and flowing through small holes in the IC itself is much more of an obstruction to air flow than the hood scoop opening facing the external air flow directly, so I'll put my screening on the less-obstructive part of the path.

And of course (I hate to admit to it) there's the bling factor of hex screen that echoes the cowl scoops.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:04 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by OldRick
I'm not at all sure that window screen, with maybe 60% openings, is not going to obstruct airflow more if laid directly on top of the IC, vs. a screen with much larger holes and 79% openings, inset in the scoop.

My guess is that changing direction 90 degrees and flowing through small holes in the IC itself is much more of an obstruction to air flow than the hood scoop opening facing the external air flow directly, so I'll put my screening on the less-obstructive part of the path.

And of course (I hate to admit to it) there's the bling factor of hex screen that echoes the cowl scoops.
There's nothing wrong with "bling" OldRick I'm just relating my experience/testing...look at #1 post...the results achieved were with a screen on top of my IC. Prior to doing this, my old OEM IC was dented up badly from bugs and small gravel. To date, my Alta IC's fins are all straight and free of bugs...take it for what it's worth The best part is that no one looking at my IC in person noticed the screen...it is that fine...but it works

Old 02-14-2006, 12:39 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
The screen I have in my scoop just severs the bugs into a bunch of smaller more frustrating little bits...

I have not been a fan of it on my car for the aesthetics. I meant to paint it black to make it dissapear, or at least look sort of like the rest of the hexagonal grille work on the car.

The thing about the screen is that it is not the fact that it has a certain (and mathematically quantifiable) physical obstruction to the airflow, it's the inducing of a turbulent boundary layer of air around it, preventing flow that I assume would be the problem.

Just blow directly on your hand, and then put it behind a screen and do the same. You can feel the difference immediately.

The IC's are pretty sensitive in our little cars and I would imagine that the screen does in fact, make a noticable difference in IC temps.

For the time being, I'll leave my screen. At least until I buy that fancy, Sid developed, M7 scoop that this thread was about in the first place.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:19 PM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
Just sent my M7 Scoop and Orciari Cowl Scoops to be painted BEP, should be ready Thursday

Will post photo's Friday night

Peter thanks fit is excellent

Old 02-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Now you're giving my secrets away I've mentioned this so many times but no one listens:impatient
I've had a piece of screen sandwiched between my IC and diverter for sometime now, works great. What's that saying about great minds...

I also have a piece right up front, because around here when it gets warm out, we get bugs. There's no way you're gonna fit a blow gun back there to blow 'em all out!

Old 02-14-2006, 06:30 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by PARTSMAN109
I've had a piece of screen sandwiched between my IC and diverter for sometime now, works great. What's that saying about great minds...

I also have a piece right up front, because around here when it gets warm out, we get bugs. There's no way you're gonna fit a blow gun back there to blow 'em all out!
I like smart people...don't have to beat them over the head to see it my way

Old 02-15-2006, 03:46 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by TheWrks
Just sent my M7 Scoop and Orciari Cowl Scoops to be painted BEP, should be ready Thursday

Looking good Once I get my M7 Ram air scoop my Extreme scoop is coming out.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:14 AM
LauSai
1st Gear
Can anyone provide a shot from the side?

Old 02-15-2006, 04:27 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by LauSai
Does this post help?
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...&postcount=501

Old 02-15-2006, 05:02 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by LauSai
Please go back and read through this thread...I know it's long but all the information/history/why/how are in there with many many pictures

Here's the prototype. Exactly the same as the production piece but without the exposed mounting hardware...

Old 02-15-2006, 07:16 AM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Regarding window screen over the IC: has anyone measured the effect on intake air temp. compared to no screen?

How about the effect of coarse screening in the intake?

I'll certainly give up on the idea of honeycomb screen in the intake if it reduces cooling (after all my posts about big wheels, I couldn't possibly be seen going for appearance over function).

Second question about window screen over the IC: wouldn't aluminum window screen work better than plastic? It should increase heat "dispersion", to quote another thread...

Old 02-15-2006, 07:19 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by OldRick
Regarding window screen over the IC: has anyone measured the effect on intake air temp. compared to no screen?

How about the effect of coarse screening in the intake?

I'll certainly give up on the idea of honeycomb screen in the intake if it reduces cooling (after all my posts about big wheels, I couldn't possibly be seen going for appearance over function).

Second question about window screen over the IC: wouldn't aluminum window screen work better than plastic? It should increase heat "dispersion", to quote another thread...
metal window screen has zero effect on efficiency...

Old 02-15-2006, 07:25 AM
TheWrks
I thought that this was a thread about the M7 Scoop developed by Sid and Joel , whats all this irrelevant talk about a screen that might keep out bugs.

Old 02-15-2006, 07:51 AM
fdavid
4th Gear
...wheres mine??? seems that everyone's got one already but me! Last time I spoke with Peter it was inthe mail (that was last week)..hopefully it will get here shortly.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:01 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by fdavid
...wheres mine??? seems that everyone's got one already but me! Last time I spoke with Peter it was inthe mail (that was last week)..hopefully it will get here shortly.
Fedex ground from CA to NY is about a week.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:30 PM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't feel alone, I'm still waiting too

Old 02-16-2006, 11:27 AM
SCA
3rd Gear
This is the only side shot on the thread and it is not of the finished product. I think that is what LauSai is looking for -- side shots of the actual final commercial product. I'd like to see some too.

Please go back and read through this thread...I know it's long but all the information/history/why/how are in there with many many pictures

Here's the prototype. Exactly the same as the production piece but without the exposed mounting hardware...

Old 02-16-2006, 11:42 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by SCA
This is the only side shot on the thread and it is not of the finished product. I think that is what LauSai is looking for -- side shots of the actual final commercial product. I'd like to see some too.
The only difference is the paint :impatient

Old 02-16-2006, 12:48 PM
fdavid
4th Gear
The only difference is the paint :impatient
hmm. sure hope so because your prototype so far looks much sharper.
guys! side picks please!

Old 02-16-2006, 12:52 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
hmm. sure hope so because your prototype so far looks much sharper.
guys! side picks please!
What is this?!?! Don't you guys believe me or what?:impatient :impatient :impatient

Old 02-16-2006, 01:24 PM
TheWrks

Friday night boys can you wait till then..

Old 02-16-2006, 02:09 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Good Grief!!! Even you beat me to a finished piece :impatient

Old 02-16-2006, 03:03 PM
SCA
3rd Gear
That'd be great.

As long as MSFIT thinks it's ok for us to see a side view, of course

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Ram intake project