Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Ram intake project

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 03:34 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want one!!

Old 10-18-2005, 04:20 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jimz68
Can you say..."PayPal"?
Jim
You guys are gonna get mad but it's a little more complicated than that...

After much discussion, JS and I have decided to search for a third party to manufacture this scoop for those of you who have expressed interest. As we both have day careers to maintain, manufacturing this scoop would take away too much of our free time. We are not interested in becoming manufacturers nor are we ready to become vendors. We would rather utilize our skills as a designer/sculpter team to seek new avenues of creations that has yet to be addressed properly (emphasis on "properly") with regards to exterior parts for the new Mini...ie, aero devices, wide body, etc...strickly as a hobby as to not conflict with our day jobs. That said, we will be meeting someone soon who might take this project into mass production. If there are any vendors out there who might be interested in a joint venture, please PM myself or JS. Stay tuned...pictures of the finished scoop will be here soon.

If you can't wait, I give you my permission to PM JS and make a deal with him for commission pieces

Old 10-18-2005, 04:34 PM
cooldaddy
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Sir, totally understand and this is still cool with me...

Originally Posted by MSFITOY
You guys are gonna get mad

Old 10-18-2005, 05:53 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
Ok, so i want 1!

did u design that photo 0r is it a real production (car). 0n ur sig.

You guys are gonna get mad but it's a little more complicated than that...

After much discussion, JS and I have decided to search for a third party to manufacture this scoop for those of you who have expressed interest. As we both have day careers to maintain, manufacturing this scoop would take away too much of our free time. We are not interested in becoming manufacturers nor are we ready to become vendors. We would rather utilize our skills as a designer/sculpter team to seek new avenues of creations that has yet to be addressed properly (emphasis on "properly") with regards to exterior parts for the new Mini...ie, aero devices, wide body, etc...strickly as a hobby as to not conflict with our day jobs. That said, we will be meeting someone soon who might take this project into mass production. If there are any vendors out there who might be interested in a joint venture, please PM myself or JS. Stay tuned...pictures of the finished scoop will be here soon.

If you can't wait, I give you my permission to PM JS and make a deal with him for commission pieces

Old 10-18-2005, 07:07 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by joker
Ok, so i want 1!

did u design that photo 0r is it a real production (car). 0n ur sig.
It's a greatly reduced image of the original sketch, not a photo. The original is was done in color and approximately 4000 pixels wide created with 2D software from Alias Studio Paint. Believe it or not but that is one many theme proposals for the Ford GT 40 I summited while with the design team before I left Ford in 2000. This is what it looked like in color:

Obviously, they changed directions after I left Oh well, I still love what they ended up with

Old 10-18-2005, 07:36 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
NiCE.....

sssweeeett, d0oD very impressive, who do u werk for now?
is this 2d bit available online?
It's a greatly reduced image of the original sketch, not a photo. The original is was done in color and approximately 4000 pixels wide created with 2D software from Alias Studio Paint. Believe it or not but that is one many theme proposals for the Ford GT 40 I summited while with the design team before I left Ford in 2000. This is what it looked like in color:

Obviously, they changed directions after I left Oh well, I still love what they ended up with

Old 10-19-2005, 05:46 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
I forgot...that sketch was the one used to sell the case for the GT40 before a team was even put together:smile:

"Studio Paint" is obsolete now and needed the fridge size SGI workstation to operate. "Auto Studio" (2D/3D) is the new standard (runs on Window) used by GM, Ford and Chrysler as well as others. I'm sure you can find it floating around if you looked hard enough

Old 10-19-2005, 11:13 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
im still lookin' no luck yet
I forgot...that sketch was the one used to sell the case for the GT40 before a team was even put together:smile:

"Studio Paint" is obsolete now and needed the fridge size SGI workstation to operate. "Auto Studio" (2D/3D) is the new standard (runs on Window) used by GM, Ford and Chrysler as well as others. I'm sure you can find it floating around if you looked hard enough

Old 10-20-2005, 01:16 PM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
An article on small-lot and custom manufacture in Wired - http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.09/fablab.html perhaps www.emachineshop.com could do the job for you.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:55 AM
LauSai
1st Gear
Any updates on this? Pix of the new scoop? Potential vendors? The suspense is killing me.

Old 10-25-2005, 05:12 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
I know it's worse than paint drying but...the part is in the mold. Waiting to hear from JS on stats:smile: No contacts from any vendors yet...

Old 10-25-2005, 07:39 PM
jcmini
2nd Gear
Wow Sid that looks real good!!! Sign me up!!!

Old 10-25-2005, 08:21 PM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Please also count me in for one.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:59 PM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
Ok Sid, where has this thread been..... You know i want one best buddy..

Old 10-26-2005, 04:53 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by TheWrks
Ok Sid, where has this thread been..... You know i want one best buddy..
Of course buddy but I'm not sure you'd want to do this Mr. Scott...you see, you need to remove the factory diverter and modify your pretty Works IC cover (have your Xleft turn decal )

JC, I thought you fell off the planet or got a Subaru I still have your rear seat cover panel in my garage if you want it back.

Old 10-26-2005, 09:13 AM
TheWrks
Of course buddy but I'm not sure you'd want to do this Mr. Scott...you see, you need to remove the factory diverter and modify your pretty Works IC cover (have your Xleft turn decal )

JC, I thought you fell off the planet or got a Subaru I still have your rear seat cover panel in my garage if you want it back.
Life is all about compromise

Old 10-30-2005, 07:45 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
bump... info?

Old 10-30-2005, 07:52 PM
TheWrks
I had a good look at the Scoop last night it looks sweet i want one now!!!!

Old 10-30-2005, 08:18 PM
ylwjkt
3rd Gear
We need spyshots!!!

Old 11-07-2005, 04:59 PM
mhhoff
2nd Gear
Allow me to enter the scrum, too, OK? I'll just keep my nose to the poststone and wait for developments (just looking for more cool air over my GRS).

Old 11-08-2005, 09:01 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
the wait is almost murder!!!

Old 11-08-2005, 09:37 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by kyriian
the wait is almost murder!!!
Tell me about it JS is doing the best he can with all that he has on his table. He has tried resin injection but thinks the durometer of the material is too soft. Will just have to be patient.

Side note...did not get any response for the Cooper spoiler request from NAM members. But JS has purchased one somewhere so we'll be crackin the SS spoiler project soon

Old 11-08-2005, 10:28 AM
adame
Coordinator :: MINIsota Motoring Society (MMS)
Side note...did not get any response for the Cooper spoiler request from NAM members. But JS has purchased one somewhere so we'll be crackin the SS spoiler project soon
What's this all about?? I realize I probably can't make a difference, but would like to know what I missed....

Old 11-08-2005, 10:38 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
A while back, I solicited on NAM for a doner Cooper wing to be used as a base for our upcoming redesign of the "Aero" spoiler with added functionality and adjustability. The doner would, of course, be first in line to get one. There's no promise of production so that was about the only way to guaranty one.
Originally Posted by adame
What's this all about?? I realize I probably can't make a difference, but would like to know what I missed....

Old 11-12-2005, 02:51 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Sorry for the delay guys but we finally have something to show. I know this project is like watching grass grow but hey...I warned ya Here's some images of another prototype. The first one's material duraometer rating was too low and therefore too soft to be of use. This one is stiffer but we're thinking going higher without being too brittle as well as the addition of structural ribbing underneith. JS is actually "manually" injection molding these pieces This one has some small air bubbles so I'll finished up the surface, attach some studs, quick paint job and mount her up for further testing Be back soon

See the little man heading my way?

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Ram intake project