Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Ram intake project

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 12:05 PM
adame
Coordinator :: MINIsota Motoring Society (MMS)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
I think I covered the history in this thread somewhere but for your convinience, this is a summary...
Thanks for the recap - looked a bit early on in the thread, but this info was just what I was looking for.

How does the air temp change - just from the movement through the scoop?

Old 11-18-2005, 12:42 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by adame
Thanks for the recap - looked a bit early on in the thread, but this info was just what I was looking for.

How does the air temp change - just from the movement through the scoop?
More air mass being moved through the IC. In my case, an Alta TMIC. After Turkey Day, I'll go back to stock IC and make more measurements.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:10 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
give us a magnesium option! how bout go all the way and get FORGED MAGNESIUM!! you can charge 800 bucks!

sorry, didnt read between the lines
better yet, let's go crazy and make it out of OSTRITCH SKIN!!!!

Old 11-18-2005, 01:46 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyriian
better yet, let's go crazy and make it out of OSTRITCH SKIN!!!!
yeeeaahhhh..........u supply the skin!!:smile:

Old 11-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Tit
5th Gear
Down here you can get Kangaroo ******* Purses....I can buy a few of those if you like and send them up for you - imagine showing your friends your new "kangaroo ******* hood scoop"!!

MSFITOY, if you do get around to producing this lovely invention of yours, I'd love to send some Aussie $spondoolies up your way for the privelage of putting one on my mini....:smile:

Old 11-18-2005, 02:15 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Thanks for the compliment:smile: I'll be honest with you guys...it's not going to be the "economical" solution and certainly not for everyone. For those stating that "this is great if the price is right", don't waste your time. I can almost guarentee you that this will be pricier than any alternatives out there. I maybe wrong. And the theoretical hp gains would probably be minute per dollar spent. But you'll get what you paid for if THIS is something you must have. The performance improvements are great (temperature drop...don't know about hp gains) but the aesthetics are even better. That said, if JS ends up building them one at a time, it will be a numbered signed piece of art and you can guess how much that'll cost

Sid

Originally Posted by Tit
Down here you can get Kangaroo ******* Purses....I can buy a few of those if you like and send them up for you - imagine showing your friends your new "kangaroo ******* hood scoop"!!

MSFITOY, if you do get around to producing this lovely invention of yours, I'd love to send some Aussie $spondoolies up your way for the privelage of putting one on my mini....:smile:

Old 11-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Tit
5th Gear
Don't worry...I'm not afraid to admit I'm a shallow shallow man - I like my mini looking good

If it yields performance gains as well, then

Old 11-18-2005, 02:22 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Tit
Don't worry...I'm not afraid to admit I'm a shallow shallow man - I like my mini looking good

If it yields performance gains as well, then
But what if it cost more for a RIGHT HAND DRIVE version? Just kiddn....

Old 11-18-2005, 02:25 PM
toolmichael
2nd Gear
Don't forget to number them

I,d love to have a chance at this "limited edition art" from the masters of nam

Old 11-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Tit
5th Gear
No no..it might need extra bolts to hold it in though - as we are 'upside-down' down in here in Australia remember!

Mate...we are so far away from the rest of the world we are used to getting 'bent over' for most things - car bits included.....

....for expample, we get movies waaaay later than you guys...When I lived in Canada I remember watching movies that I started seeing previews for in Australia 6 months after I got back...

Old 11-18-2005, 02:29 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Glad you have a good sense of humour
Originally Posted by Tit
No no..it might need extra bolts to hold it in though - as we are 'upside-down' down in here in Australia remember!

Mate...we are so far away from the rest of the world we are used to getting 'bent over' for most things - car bits included.....

....for expample, we get movies waaaay later than you guys...When I lived in Canada I remember watching movies that I started seeing previews for in Australia 6 months after I got back...

Old 11-18-2005, 03:15 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tit

Old 11-18-2005, 06:40 PM
fdavid
4th Gear
I keep saying it, but I am definately paying for getting one of these beauties! And numbered series sounds even better.

Old 11-19-2005, 08:36 AM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Thanks for the compliment:smile: I'll be honest with you guys...it's not going to be the "economical" solution and certainly not for everyone. For those stating that "this is great if the price is right", don't waste your time. I can almost guarentee you that this will be pricier than any alternatives out there. I maybe wrong. And the theoretical hp gains would probably be minute per dollar spent. But you'll get what you paid for if THIS is something you must have. The performance improvements are great (temperature drop...don't know about hp gains) but the aesthetics are even better. That said, if JS ends up building them one at a time, it will be a numbered signed piece of art and you can guess how much that'll cost

Sid
SIGNED??? HECK NO I just my sweet looking scoop that VERY few have that has improvement over stock without the WRX feel to it. I wouldnt mind a numbered one that had a certificate but don't touch my scoop! Leave it useable on my everyday car! Yes my mini is my EVERYDAY car not my weekend car.. Oh yea I am still waiting... who cares about cost its only money you can ONLY spend it!

-Josh

Old 11-19-2005, 12:51 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
So far it's held up in this 20Fn degrees temperature at speeds over 120 Don't worry...there were no witnesses JS has succeeded in creating another piece WITHOUT air bubbles

Old 11-19-2005, 01:01 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
So far it's held up in this 20Fn degrees temperature at speeds over 120 Don't worry...there were no witnesses JS has succeeded in creating another piece WITHOUT air bubbles
Air bubbles make it lighter and therefor FASTER! DuH put the airbubbles BACK IN!!

-Josh

Old 11-19-2005, 01:09 PM
omascow
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Battle Cattle
Air bubbles make it lighter and therefor FASTER! DuH put the airbubbles BACK IN!!

-Josh
Don't forget to throw in some speed holes!!!

Old 11-19-2005, 02:04 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by omascow
Don't forget to throw in some speed holes!!!
Duh! What do you think this whole project is about?

Old 11-19-2005, 06:02 PM
Risu
6th Gear
Looks sweet sid. Big thumbs up.

Old 11-19-2005, 06:39 PM
newbs49
Banned
SID

Looks like there is great gains in temp drop for us who track our cars. That scoop will be great at Watkins Glen and the other long tracks. I hope you get the vendor to help you out. Much better looking than the others. Is it sculpted to fit our Alta intercoolers? Great Job.

Old 11-21-2005, 04:57 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
I think that's what I have under the RIP. Let me check...Yup

Kiddin aside...a better question would be, will this fit an OEM intercooler? Yes, but with caveat. The factory hood diverter needs to be entirely removed as when installing an Alta TMIC. A foam gasket will then need to be sourced and attached to either the hood or the intercooler cover to maintain seal. We don't have a source yet, hence my previous thread asking for leads to this kind of material. I got little. Getting discouraged yet?
Originally Posted by newbs49
SID

Is it sculpted to fit our Alta intercoolers? Great Job.

Old 11-21-2005, 05:05 PM
newbs49
Banned
Thanks Sid

Did you ever get your Ireland plates installed. Off topic but I was just wondering.

Old 11-21-2005, 05:09 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by newbs49
Thanks Sid

Did you ever get your Ireland plates installed. Off topic but I was just wondering.
$180 for full alignment has put this project off until next year, after the piggy bank gets some meat over it's ribs. I have the winter to admire them on my desk

Old 11-23-2005, 08:51 PM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
FYI, I was actually running a parallel project to this but seeing the development to date for the product that Joel and Sid have worked out I am shifting my energy to getting this version on the market instead of the one I was pursuing. So, Out Motoring is arranging to work out production and distribution of this product for sale exclusively at OutMotoring.com. One of the samples is heading to us shortly from Joel and we will be working out production costs and mold costs with our carbon fiber manufacturer in the next 2-3 weeks. We hope to have estimated retail price points avaiable after we get feedback from all parties.

I'm fairly certain that it will be priced at a competitive price point and will maintain the same design integrity and performance as the units that have been produced to date.

If all goes well, these could be available to the general public in 6-8 weeks.

Again, these will most likely be a CF part but we are researching doing them in plain Fiberglass layup if it can be made cheaper than the CF version.
We will get updates as we get them.

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

Last edited by OutMotoring; 11-23-2005 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:10 PM
skuzy
5th Gear
sounds promising but only time will tell

Originally Posted by OutMotoring
FYI, I was actually running a parallel project to this but seeing the development to date for the product that Dave and Sid have worked out I am shifting my energy to getting this version on the market instead of the one I was pursuing. So, Out Motoring is arranging to work out production and distribution of this product for sale exclusively at OutMotoring.com. One of the samples is heading to us shortly from Dave and we will be working out production costs and mold costs with our carbon fiber manufacturer in the next 2-3 weeks. We hope to have estimated retail price points avaiable after we get feedback from all parties.

I'm fairly certain that it will be priced at a competitive price point and will maintain the same design integrity and performance as the units that have been produced to date.

If all goes well, these could be available to the general public in 6-8 weeks.

Again, these will most likely be a CF part but we are researching doing them in plain Fiberglass layup if it can be made cheaper than the CF version.
We will get updates as we get them.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Ram intake project