Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Bluetoon on a 2005

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 09:12 AM
nevr2qk
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bluetooth on a 2005

I ran a search yesterday, but it looked like the majority of posts referred to pre-'05 models. Or am I missing something, and the '05's *don't* come with all the necessary hardware?

I would spend some money on if this were a seemless integration:
-no added visible mics or buttons
-radio displays call list, caller ID, etc.
-works with the phone of my choice (current choice is LG PM-325). I noticed a couple posts indicating only certain phones worked- isn't BT, BT?

If it matters, I'm planning on using Sprint because I don't want to switch carriers. I've seen some criticism of limited BT functions on Sprint's network, but all I care about is using the phone in the car. If Sprint hinders this functionality, though, I would like to know about it.

Does the solution I'm looking for exist? Thanks in advance.

Brock

Old 08-23-2005, 09:22 AM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nevr2qk

Does the solution I'm looking for exist? Thanks in advance.

Brock
Yes it does: http://www.motoringfile.com/2005/06/...rket_bluetooth

Although you may need to switch to a GSM carrier.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:31 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gabe

Gabe, you're fantastic. I like you a lot. You're site always has an incredible wealth of great information. But I've got to correct you on this...

You ONLY would need to switch to a GSM carrier if you want to do the solution as pictured in the link and wanted/needed the full integration with NAV as described. Plus some of the newest Sprint phones may have the ability to work with the kits listed as well... I don't follow Sprint as closely as T-Mobile and Cingular...

You can still use your Sprint Bluetooth enabled phone provided it supports either the headset or handsfree bluetooth profiles. Exactly how much the phone will interface with the bluetooth kit (i.e displaying phone information on the nav screen or HU display) will depend on the bluetooth profiles it supports and what if any tweaks your cellco did to the bluetooth stack on the phone...

Old 08-23-2005, 10:26 AM
Waterway4
2nd Gear
The full integration in the article is for a phone in a wired cradle, not for Bluetooth. I think the article is mistitled (is that a word?)

Old 08-23-2005, 10:39 AM
Gabe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
Gabe, you're fantastic. I like you a lot. You're site always has an incredible wealth of great information. But I've got to correct you on this...

You ONLY would need to switch to a GSM carrier if you want to do the solution as pictured in the link and wanted/needed the full integration with NAV as described.

I was just referring to the use of the components within the article I metioned. That said you do limit your Bluetooth handset choices dramatically by using a CDMA providor like Sprint or Verizon (thus potentially limiting your ability for integration with the MINI via Bluetooth),

The full integration in the article is for a phone in a wired cradle, not for Bluetooth. I think the article is mistitled (is that a word?)
You don't need the cradle for bluetooth integration. That was an optional extra.

Old 08-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
I was under the (mistaken?) impression that Sprint uses GSM, and that only Verizon and Alltel use CDMA.... ?

Old 08-23-2005, 05:10 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
I was under the (mistaken?) impression that Sprint uses GSM, and that only Verizon and Alltel use CDMA.... ?
No, Sprint's CDMA. Not sure about Alltel...

Old 08-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
No, Sprint's CDMA. Not sure about Alltel...
Sprint doesn't use GSM - they rock it old school

tmobile and cingular are the only large GSM providers in the US.

Old 08-23-2005, 06:14 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Sprint doesn't use GSM - they rock it old school
And you'll get real old in the amount of time you'll sit on hold waiting to talk to Sprint Customer Service!

Sorry, I had a bad experience with Sprint PCS... So bad I willingly forked over the early termination fee to get out of my contract with them...

Old 08-23-2005, 07:31 PM
nevr2qk
2nd Gear

I read this article with great interest when originally published. The cradle option required for integrating the radio display violates my no-added-clutter mandate. And it's not Sprint. I *would* add the nifty armrest with integrated (concealed) phone cradle, but I don't think it ever came to fruition, did it?

Once again, looking for:
-no visible added cradles, buttons, mics, etc.
-Caller ID, etc. displayed on OEM radio
-Sprint

Brock

Old 08-23-2005, 09:12 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear

Why the possible need to switch to GSM. I have Cingular, so it is not an issue. However, Verizon and Sprint both have Bluetooth devices.

Steve

Old 08-23-2005, 10:07 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mielnicki
Why the possible need to switch to GSM. I have Cingular, so it is not an issue. However, Verizon and Sprint both have Bluetooth devices.

Steve
It was referring to the kits I mentioned above - sorry for the confusion. Many aftermarket kits are phone or manufacturer specific... and typically the most commonly supported phones happen to be GSM. This is due to the fact that most of these kits are from Europe - where 99.9% of phones run on GSM networks.

One thing Verizon and Sprint (both CDMA providers) customers need to make sure of... since those companies typically cripple most of the functionality of their bluetooth handsets (leaving just the ability to pair with a headset at times) there may be some operational differences. (This is due to both of these operators wanting total control over your device and their network.)

There are simpler bluetooth kits out there that should work with most bluetooth devices that support the handsfree profile. For instance: https://www.newministuff.com/new/sho...uctshow&id=182

What if a phone has bluetooth but doesn't support the handsfree profile? A good example is the SonyEricsson P800/P900 (the M5 of mobile phones): http://members.roadfly.com/rduncan/P...+Bluetooth.htm (this is of course ironic since Ericsson basically created Bluetooth)

So you can see that having Bluetooth doesn't guarentee interoperability with other bluetooth devices. When researching a bluetooth solution it's best to make sure it will work with your specific phone.

I side step this altogether and go the cheap way out. I just make sure to have a standalone Bluetooth headset in either of my cars at all times.

Old 08-26-2005, 01:09 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nevr2qk
I read this article with great interest when originally published. The cradle option required for integrating the radio display violates my no-added-clutter mandate. And it's not Sprint. I *would* add the nifty armrest with integrated (concealed) phone cradle, but I don't think it ever came to fruition, did it?

Once again, looking for:
-no visible added cradles, buttons, mics, etc.
-Caller ID, etc. displayed on OEM radio
-Sprint

Brock
Any update? I also would be interested in a solution that meets nevr2qk's criteria (I have a 2005 MCSa and have Sprint as the carrier on my TREO650)

Old 08-26-2005, 09:00 PM
advnavles
1st Gear
posible solution

You can click on to link below to view a video demo of this Bluetooth system;
It is compatible with over 90% of Bluetooth enabled phones available and is OEM installed on Lexus in their factory before delivery to the dealerships. It is manufactured by Pieker in Germany and is a very cost effective solution ($299 before install, requires 1 hr install), with the best noice cancellation technology avaiable and is compatible for the Sprint LG PM-325, Audiovox 6600, Treo 650 and more. See video:
http://www.advancednavigation.com/video/hb_vcontrol_full.wmv[/font]

Old 08-27-2005, 01:19 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
The advanced navigation system is interesting. I am trying to learn more about its capabilities. For example, if you have to dial an extension after the main number, how would the extension be dialed? Second question relates to the product's integration with the BMW/MINI HK audio system head unit - would incomming numbers be displayed on the headunit display? Or, verbally announced?

Old 08-27-2005, 12:05 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Les,
First your video has too much of Brad and his wildly flailing hands (seriously though what's up with him flailing about like that!) and not enough of the VCommand.
I think we all want to know more about how well the kit integrates with the car (MINI and others). Does the kit feature a "radio mute" for radios that support such connections from phone kits? How about displaying caller ID information on radios that support it, or running the audio into the car's sound system instead of using a seperate speaker?
Do you have recommended installers?

Old 08-27-2005, 08:04 PM
advnavles
1st Gear
answer to your question

The advanced navigation system is interesting. I am trying to learn more about its capabilities. For example, if you have to dial an extension after the main number, how would the extension be dialed?

(you hit the switch button on the remote, say dial then 1, 2, or whatever the extension is.)

Second question relates to the product's integration with the BMW/MINI HK audio system head unit - would incomming numbers be displayed on the headunit display? Or, verbally announced?
No headunit display, you will hear an easilly recognizeable ring tone when reciveing a call.

Vcontrol is manufactured by Peiker of Germany. Peiker is the exclusive factory OEM Bluetooth hardware provider for LEXUS. This is a $1600-$2000 Lexus accessorie factory pre-load. www.advancednavigation.com is the exclusive North American distributor for this very same unit from Peiker that we private label under agreement, as Vcontrol. It has the best noise cancellation technology of any system available, except Lexus of course for the same hardware. It also pairs with virtually every Bluetooth phone from every wireless carrier in the at $299, is an excellent value.

Originally Posted by caminifan
The advanced navigation system is interesting. I am trying to learn more about its capabilities. For example, if you have to dial an extension after the main number, how would the extension be dialed? Second question relates to the product's integration with the BMW/MINI HK audio system head unit - would incomming numbers be displayed on the headunit display? Or, verbally announced?

Last edited by advnavles; 08-27-2005 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:12 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Les,
First your video has too much of Brad and his wildly flailing hands
But it was pretty funny to watch

Old 08-27-2005, 08:19 PM
advnavles
1st Gear
Bluetooth answer

I think we all want to know more about how well the kit integrates with the car (MINI and others). Does the kit feature a "radio mute" for radios that support such connections from phone kits?

No audio kit for the MINI yet! We do have for many other vehicles though.But our experience with every head unit is that the audio from a phone call on the head unit speakers, OEM Automotive factory Bluetooth or aftermarket, sounds louder than the music volume you have set, and you will need to turn the head unit volume down on the phone call audio anyway, when running through the mute function and head unit speakers.

How about displaying caller ID information on radios that support it, or running the audio into the car's sound system instead of using a seperate speaker?

Answered above
Do you have recommended installers? Yes, we can arrange that, but it is a very simple install, any licenced, bonded, installer can do it.

Vcontrol is manufactured by Peiker of Germany. They are the factory OEM Bluetooth hardware provider for LEXUS. This is a $1600-$2000 Lexus accessory factory pre-load. www.advancednavigation.com is the exclusive North American distributor for this very same unit from Peiker that we private label under agreement as Vcontrol. It has the best noise cancellation technology of any system available, except Lexus of course for the same hardware. It also pairs with virtually every Bluetooth phone from every wireless carrier in the US. At $299 is an excellent value.

Les,
First your video has too much of Brad and his wildly flailing hands (seriously though what's up with him flailing about like that!) and not enough of the VCommand.
I think we all want to know more about how well the kit integrates with the car (MINI and others). Does the kit feature a "radio mute" for radios that support such connections from phone kits? How about displaying caller ID information on radios that support it, or running the audio into the car's sound system instead of using a seperate speaker?
Do you have recommended installers?

Last edited by advnavles; 08-27-2005 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:52 PM
Boludo
2nd Gear
phone button on steering wheel...bluetooth?

I just bought an 05 MCS and on the steering wheel it has a phone button. Does that mean bluetooth technology is already hooked up or what? Do I just need a bluetooth phone for it to work. If anyone knows how that works I'd be very interested in knowing. Thanks.

Old 08-29-2005, 02:58 PM
nevr2qk
2nd Gear
Thanks, advnavles. I appreciate you bringing this thread back on track. I take it you're a vendor for this system?

For your reference (or any other entrepreneurs reading this), I'll gladly hand over my hard earned money when a completely transparent option becomes available.

Taking this a bit further, a quick glance at this forum prooves there are plenty of electronics buffs present (for this car alone). And I'll bet I'm not the only one who doesn't want cradles and wires hanging everywhere.

I want to know why I can't hear my BT enabled phone ring in my pocket, glance at the caller ID displayed on my OEM headunit, hit the built in R/T button and converse through a hidden mic (in the built-in location) and front factory speakers? Then, when the call is over, hit the button again and have the call time, etc. info (that was displayed on the headunit for the duration of the call), be replaced by the song title/artist ID from the IPod in the glove box (which was automatically paused during the call) as the music resumes?

Every capability mentioned above is already available, but no one has managed to put it all together. Why not?

Brock

Old 08-29-2005, 03:40 PM
MZ
Neutral
Hi
They are just buttons, You need hand-free bluetooth kit (like Parrot CK3000 from http://www.newministuff.com) then those buttons will function to answer, receive, or make a call depend on your phone! I have it on my 05 MCS C it works fine (limeted functionality with Treo 650)
Good luck

Old 08-29-2005, 03:57 PM
rpgsat
1st Gear
treo?

What's the limitation on the Treo 650?

Old 08-29-2005, 03:59 PM
Boludo
2nd Gear
So do you just use your radio controls for volume and the voice comes through the speakers? How is the sound quality?

Old 08-29-2005, 05:38 PM
supergimp
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MZ
Hi
They are just buttons, You need hand-free bluetooth kit (like Parrot CK3000 from http://www.newministuff.com) then those buttons will function to answer, receive, or make a call depend on your phone! I have it on my 05 MCS C it works fine (limeted functionality with Treo 650)
Good luck
I, too, have a Treo 650 and have been considering the CK3000 with the newministuff harness (right now I have the HCB300 S-E BT kit with a newministuff harness) to get MFSW control. I know someone who has a CK3100 (non-Mini) and has nothing but trouble with the Treo 650 (calls disconnect, voice-activation on the CK3100 flaky, etc).

Can you elaborate on your experiences? I've been debating this investment for a long time and don't know what to do.

Steve

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Bluetoon on a 2005