Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior DIY: Badge Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 09:24 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DIY: Badge Removal

[I did a search and nothing showed up.]

Recently, I was asked to remove the front and rear badges on a friend's MCSC so that stripes could be installed. Sweat began to bead on my forehead as I recalled the last time I watched someone attempt this task and it resulted in both badges being broken...

I've heard about using floss to cut under the glue, but couldn't see how that would work to free the glue between the locating pins....

So I tried to think of a better way...

I used an .015 feeler gauge to get under the badge and slowly seperate the glue from the sheet metal. Worked like a charm and resulted in undamaged badges and more importantly - no scratches in the paint!

The feeler gauge worked great because it's thin but not flimsy and the corners are eased so there are no sharp edges - at least the guages I have are made like this. I placed a rag near the badge and worked off of that for additional protection for the surrounding paint.

The most important part is being patient and taking your time.

Old 09-19-2005, 12:53 PM
MeeneeBoy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May I ask how long did it take you to remove it? What was the brand of that .015 filler and where to get it? I plan to do the same this weekend but have had no clue how to approach this task. Thanks 4 the info!

Old 09-19-2005, 01:24 PM
IanF
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MeeneeBoy
May I ask how long did it take you to remove it? What was the brand of that .015 filler and where to get it? I plan to do the same this weekend but have had no clue how to approach this task. Thanks 4 the info!
I didn't say how long for a reason. Take as long as it takes. Don't rush. Less than an hour to do both.

Not sure which brand of feeler gauge. I have collected a few sets over the years. I probably bought them at Sears or Pep Boys. The most important thing is to make sure they are smooth. As the saying goes when it comes to tools: you get what you pay for...

I slowly worked around the edge of the badge to break the glue bond, keeping the tool as flat as possible to the body - which is why I used a rag to protect the finish. Not being my car, I definitely didn't want to scratch it! :impatient