Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior AeroKit Rear Bumper Sticker Removal??

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 06:28 AM
JustDandy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AeroKit Rear Bumper Sticker Removal??

Ok, I wasn't fast enough to tell the dealer to NOT install the vinyl sticker on the AeroKit rear bumper on the MCS I just picked up from them. So now I have that undesired look (for me) on an otherwise all black MINI.

How do I remove that sticker? What will I find underneath? This aerokit was ordered from the factory prepainted jet black, so I'm wondering if they would've painted the whole thing (seems it would be easier than masking the area for the sticker).

Once I get it off - and if it's not painted right - I'll just get some black vinyl stickers to put in its place (I saw an example of this on someone's blue MINI on another thread).

Thanks!

John

Old 09-26-2005, 07:56 AM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Well i dont know about your dealer but all the aerokit stuff including painting and sticking was done at the dealer. Unless there is something new about factory aerokits that I dont know about. So everything should be painted as to removing it... I have no idea and save the paint. Maybe someone else can help you there.

-Josh

PS make that baby black!!!

Originally Posted by jdandeneau
Ok, I wasn't fast enough to tell the dealer to NOT install the vinyl sticker on the AeroKit rear bumper on the MCS I just picked up from them. So now I have that undesired look (for me) on an otherwise all black MINI.

How do I remove that sticker? What will I find underneath? This aerokit was ordered from the factory prepainted jet black, so I'm wondering if they would've painted the whole thing (seems it would be easier than masking the area for the sticker).

Once I get it off - and if it's not painted right - I'll just get some black vinyl stickers to put in its place (I saw an example of this on someone's blue MINI on another thread).

Thanks!

John

Old 09-26-2005, 08:17 AM
JustDandy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Battle Cattle
Well i dont know about your dealer but all the aerokit stuff including painting and sticking was done at the dealer. Unless there is something new about factory aerokits that I dont know about.
You can order AeroKits from the factory pre painted instead of primed. They are available in black or white (I'm not sure if there's other colors). It means that no local paint shop needs to touch it. Also speeds up delivery of the new car. AND, it's cheaper since they don't have to outsource the painting - saved me $800.

PS make that baby black!!!
Don't ya know it!

john

Old 09-26-2005, 08:28 AM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
ahhh

I spent a little extra money on the dealer paintjob but they did all the trim too so its JB/JB all around!

All black

-Josh

Old 09-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Tarzan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If you're planning on putting black vinyl down there anyway, why not apply it over the sticker?

Old 09-26-2005, 06:10 PM
Minifiend
4th Gear
I saw a cool sticker

Johnny at West Coast Mini/Johnny's Auto Clinic has the Jet Black Mini with Aero kit and he didn't like the sticker either. His wife came up with a decal to go over that area of the bumper and it looks real slick. He offered me one, I am sure he would do the same for you.

Old 09-26-2005, 06:23 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
how about jus cuttin' it out around the sticker and adding M7's rear grill's to it it would make it a real functionin' bumper grill for air to pass out through it, and mayb help w/the dirt that builds up on the rear as soon as u wash it !?!?......:smile:

could be a little over the top, but would look killer! instead of all that sticker bull

Originally Posted by jdandeneau

Thanks!

John

Old 10-01-2005, 08:10 AM
kenru
1st Gear
I just removed the inset stickers from my MCS Aero Kit rear bumper. I replaced them with new Black w/White Dots inserts from CooperFlags.com. I was able to grab edges of the original stickers by using an Exacto knife and tweezers. Once I had enough to grab, I was able to just pull the stickers off. The stickers seem to be some sort of metallic material and are quite brittle. When pulling them off I found it best to use a minimum amount of angle (don't try to pull at 90 degrees from the surface). There was quite a bit of glue that remained on the bumper after the sticker removal. Spraying with Goo Gone, letting it soak in and wiping it away easily cleaned this. I then cleaned the area with Denatured Alcohol.

Old 10-01-2005, 11:25 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
kenru's instruction is what i would've put down. :smile: